Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buccos season in review

Threads : 122

Default Buccos season in review

This is a good season in review in text and video format. I forgot about that awesome game where Cutch hit 3 homers, and the huge homer to beat the Phillies with Cutch touching home on a mock Jordan dunk.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...=.jsp&c_id=pit

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Buccos season in review

That is a pretty solid time line. I dont know if it's me or what but despite a ****ty record and much losing on the field... looking back at that timeline and remembering the events over the year, it was a pretty interesting year as a whole

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is a pretty solid time line. I dont know if it's me or what but despite a ****ty record and much losing on the field... looking back at that timeline and remembering the events over the year, it was a pretty interesting year as a whole
    A ton went down last season, thats for sure. So many different faces. The players that game me reason to watch last season were at first McLouth, then McCutcheon & Jones. I was pulling for Jones to make the club out of Spring Training but he didn't. He maintained the momentum at AAA and I was glad to see him do well once called up.

I think having him a full year will be great. If Doumit can stay healthy those are 2 decent power bats.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is a lot to look foward to in 2010:
    Is the power that Laroche displayed over the last month a preview of what's to come in 2010?
    Is Garrett Jones the real thing?
    The call-ups of Alvarez and Tabata.
    The surpise player that will go north with the team.
    This is going to be the first season in a long time where there won't be a bunch of guys leaving by the trade deadline. I think that this year, knowing that most of the players starting the year with the Buccos, will finish the year with the Buccos, will go a long way towards seeing this team make a big jump as far as the quality of ball we see being played on the field this season. The pieces of the puzzle should start falling into place this season as to where the Pirates are headed, so forget about the standings and focus on the field, or you just might miss something.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

I would prefer that Tabata stay at AAA until he finds that projected power stroke. He hit decent for average going at a .293 clip between Altoona & Indy, but hit only 5 homers on the year. He is still only 22 years old.

Regarding Alvarez, if I am the Pirates, if he has a solid Spring Training, I consider starting him out at AAA. He played 66 games at A and 60 at AA and actually did better at AA upon his promotion. He hit .288 with 27 homers on the year. If he is playing well at AAA I consider him for a mid season callup around the break.

Funny, check out the player he is compared to on this (in the chart)....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...n%26safe%3Doff
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; Jan-02-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I would prefer that Tabata stay at AAA until he finds that projected power stroke. He hit decent for average going at a .293 clip between Altoona & Indy, but hit only 5 homers on the year. He is still only 22 years old.

Regarding Alvarez, if I am the Pirates, if he has a solid Spring Training, I consider starting him out at AAA. He played 66 games at A and 60 at AA and actually did better at AA upon his promotion. He hit .288 with 27 homers on the year. If he is playing well at AAA I consider him for a mid season callup around the break.

Funny, check out the player he is compared to on this (in the chart)....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...n%26safe%3Doff
    I disagree with holding Tabata in Indy until he develops power. When he's ready, bring him up despite the power struggles. McCutchen displayed more power in his time at the MLB level last year than he had since he was in A ball. I'm not sure if annual injuries have held Tabata's power back. I've read that his swing is more of a gap swing than the upper cut homer swing but that he's got more than enough strength and pop to hit for power. It might be a matter of adjusting the swing without losing his contact ability as a whole... that could be a case for more development time in AAA. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Tabata but I think if he hits like he did last season and stays healthy, he'll be up mid season

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Is the power that Laroche displayed over the last month a preview of what's to come in 2010?
    This is going to be the first season in a long time where there won't be a bunch of guys leaving by the trade deadline. I think that this year, knowing that most of the players starting the year with the Buccos, will finish the year with the Buccos, will go a long way towards seeing this team make a big jump as far as the quality of ball we see being played on the field this season. The pieces of the puzzle should start falling into place this season as to where the Pirates are headed, so forget about the standings and focus on the field, or you just might miss something.
    That's pretty solid all around. I completely agree with this. The part about the pieces of the puzzle slowly falling into place was a simple yet good description of this year coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I disagree with holding Tabata in Indy until he develops power. When he's ready, bring him up despite the power struggles. McCutchen displayed more power in his time at the MLB level last year than he had since he was in A ball. I'm not sure if annual injuries have held Tabata's power back. I've read that his swing is more of a gap swing than the upper cut homer swing but that he's got more than enough strength and pop to hit for power. It might be a matter of adjusting the swing without losing his contact ability as a whole... that could be a case for more development time in AAA. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Tabata but I think if he hits like he did last season and stays healthy, he'll be up mid season
    I just don't want a RF hitting .280 with 5 homers on the year. We need more power on this team in a big way. Last year time and time again we witnessed our pitchers throwing 5-6-7 solid innings but being down 3 runs due to a walk, cheap single, then one mistake pitch and a bomb. We lost way too many 1 run games last year. You are right though, strange Cutch found the power stroke at the big league level.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cutch found his groove from day 1 it seemed. He never looked nervous it seemed, and hopefully Tabata will react the same way when he gets called up. There really won't be any pressure on these guys per se, so they should be able to relax and play.
    I am really looking foward to this season and seeing how these guys develope. By the end of the season rolls around, a lot of fans are gonna come around and appreciate what's going on.

Threads : 94

[HIGH-LIGHT]This is going to be the first season in a long time where there won't be a bunch of guys leaving by the trade deadline.[/HIGH-LIGHT] I think that this year, knowing that most of the players starting the year with the Buccos, will finish the year with the Buccos, will go a long way towards seeing this team make a big jump as far as the quality of ball we see being played on the field this season. The pieces of the puzzle should start falling into place this season as to where the Pirates are headed, so forget about the standings and focus on the field, or you just might miss something.
    How about Duke, Maholm and Doumit?

I don't think Duke and Maholm will be moved. Unless they are the kind of deals NH just absolutely can't refuse, both pitchers are staying put. Doumit, on the other hand, I can see being traded. If he rebounds, I can see him being moved at the trade deadline because hitting catchers are always in demand. Once again, he won't be actively shopped, so he could bring a nice return if there are multiple suitors.

Threads : 94

I don't think Duke and Maholm will be moved. Unless they are the kind of deals NH just absolutely can't refuse, both pitchers are staying put. Doumit, on the other hand, I can see being traded. If he rebounds, I can see him being moved at the trade deadline because hitting catchers are always in demand. Once again, he won't be actively shopped, so he could bring a nice return if there are multiple suitors.
    Duke is a FA after 2011, Maholm and Doumitís guaranteed deals are up after 2011. So there's a good chance all 3 will get moved before then.

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    How about Duke, Maholm and Doumit?
    I think Doumit is toast if he has a half-decent start to the 2010. I don't think he fits into the Pirates long-term plans, not because of his proximity to free agency but rather because of his attitude and fragility. I don't want to imply that he's not a team player but I don't think the FO appreciated the way he reacted to the trades last year.
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Threads : 21

Duke is gonna be traded, i am not sure what he will fetch in return but he is gone.

I dont see doumit beeing traded cause Sanchez is at best 2 full seasons awau from being Major League ready so we will keep him.

Threads : 36

I would think all 3 would be traded in 2011, unless the team is in contention. Well Doumit could be moved this year, but I would be really surprised if the pitchers are traded. Throughout this entire purge the team has only gotten rid of 3 pitchers worth anything. (Marte, Chavez and Grabow) They are all relievers, and everyone knows NH has little value for relievers. It would contrary to the NH plan to trade either Duke or Maholm prior to 2011. I also think the team will be in contention in 2011.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information