Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buccos at Chapmans workout

Threads : 122

Default Buccos at Chapmans workout

Didn't see this on here. If it was, I apologize.

Maybe we will sign him....

Is the 15 million they mention he was offered for a multi year deal or is that the freaking bonus?

Updated: December 15, 2009, 6:47 PM ET
    Scouts watch Cuban lefty throw
    By Jorge Arangure Jr.

Fomer Cuban national team starting pitcher Aroldis Chapman threw a bullpen session on Tuesday in Houston in front of representatives from about half the major league teams.

In the morning at the Baseball USA complex, the left-hander tossed two separate five-minute side sessions, throwing mostly in the 92-93 mph range and topping out at 96 mph. Chapman, 21, also threw his slider and changeup.

Among the team representatives who attended were Houston Astros general manager Ed Wade, Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, Los Angeles Angels scouting director Eddie Bane, Florida Marlins vice president of player development Jim Fleming, [HIGH-LIGHT]Pittsburgh Pirates international scouting director Rene Gayo,[/HIGH-LIGHT] and Baltimore Orioles international scouting director John Stockstill, according to sources. The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, who are expected to be heavy bidders for Chapman, each had one area scout in attendance.

Several teams were expected to meet with Chapman after the workout, at the offices of his agents, Randy and Alan Hendricks.

"I think it's important that he demonstrated that he's ready, that he's in shape, that he's throwing free and easy and that's what he did," Randy Hendricks told media outlets including MLB.com and KRIV-TV in Houston. "A lot of life on his pitches, threw real well. Not all-out, which is what we told the teams he would not do, but sufficient I think to let everybody know he's ready for prime time."

According to KRIV, the Cincinnati Reds, Washington Nationals, Kansas City Royals, Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, Seattle Mariners, and Texas Rangers also had representatives in attendance.

"Everybody in baseball needed to see this and most everybody was here," Bane, the Angels' scouting director, said of the session, according to KRIV-TV.

"He's a hard thrower from the left side," David Lakey, the national cross checker for the New York Mets, told MLB.com. "I think they said [he hit 96 mph on the radar gun]. That kind of arm is hard to find from the left side."

According to sources, Boston is the only team known to have made an offer for Chapman, for $15.5 million. But that offer was made a few weeks ago to his former agent, Edwin Mejia.

In another development, Mejia's company Athletes Premier International sued Chapman's current agent, Hendricks Sports Management, Tuesday in Massachusetts state court. Mejia accused accused Hendricks of illegally interfering with its relationship with the pitcher.

Mejia's company said it had spent several hundreds of thousands of dollars on Chapman's behalf.

Randy Hendricks confirmed there are offers on the table for Chapman but did not disclose details, according to KRIV-TV.

Chapman, whose fastball was clocked at 102 mph at the World Baseball Classic this year, defected from the Cuban national team in July during a tournament in the Netherlands.

Jorge Arangure Jr. writes for ESPN The Magazine. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4745486

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Buccos at Chapmans workout

The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, who are expected to be heavy bidders for Chapman
    End of article along with...

According to sources, Boston is the only team known to have made an offer for Chapman, for $15.5 million. But that offer was made a few weeks ago to his former agent, Edwin Mejia.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This would be the guy,imo, if the buccos were to throw money at someone. He is young, a hard throwing lefty and consistently throws strikes.
    At 21, it seems he would be a worthwhile gamble for the Buccos to make. I guess we will find out soon enough.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This would be the guy,imo, if the buccos were to throw money at someone. He is young, a hard throwing lefty and consistently throws strikes.
    At 21, it seems he would be a worthwhile gamble for the Buccos to make. I guess we will find out soon enough.

That would be great if the Bucs could outbid the Yankees and Redsox along with half of the rest of MLB ,but it ain't going to happen . Do you think this guy would defect from his home country to play for one of the worst teams in the U.S.. Not ****ing Hardly!
    "Never interrupt the enemy when he's making a mistake" Napoleon Bonaparte

Threads : 94

The Pirates are not a player for this kid that has been reported before and reiterated today by DK.

This is pretty interesting. Makes it seem that although he has a very strong arm, at this point, he has some major work to do to be big league caliber.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=9382

Defection Alert
    How Good is Aroldis Chapman?
    by Clay Davenport

There's been another defection from the land of Castro. Aroldis Chapman is a 21-year-old Cuban emigré—and we're more certain about that than we are for most Cuban players—who walked out of a Dutch hotel in July while playing in a tournament. Given the likelihood of a bidding war as frenzied as the one involving Jose Contreras, he's someone you should have on your radar as a pitcher who may well attract as much interest as the top free agents available to your friendly neighborhood ballclub.

He's a bit of a stringbean at 6-foot-3 and 185 pounds, and he throws left-handed, which is always attractive, but what puts him truly over the top is that he throws 100 mph. Here are his actual stats in Cuba for the last four years:

Aroldis Chapman Born: 9/11/1987 Age: 21 Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6'3" Weight 185
    Year Team Lge G GS IP H R ER HR BB K W L SV H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 ERA PBRA
    2006 Holguin CBA 15 15 54.0 48 33 26 5 54 56 3 5 0 8.0 0.8 9.0 9.3 4.52 5.19
    2007 Holguin CBA 23 12 81.1 59 26 25 4 50 100 4 3 7 6.5 0.4 5.5 11.1 2.90 3.79
    2008 Holguin CBA 16 16 74.0 55 36 32 3 37 79 6 7 0 6.7 0.4 4.5 9.6 3.49 3.05
    2009 Holguin CBA 22 20 118.1 109 56 53 7 62 130 11 4 0 8.3 0.5 4.7 9.9 3.19 3.17
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minors 66 63 327.2 271 151 136 19 203 365 24 19 7 7.4 0.5 5.6 10.0 3.74 3.81

That number on the right, PBRA, is a runs-allowed esimator called Pitcher Base-Run Average, and basically evaluates the pitcher's rate of runs allowed by accounting for everything he gives up or generates, interpreted to a league where the average runs-allowed mark is 4.50. The statistics are pretty impressive, but there is a big 'but' you need to know in evaluating them. Holguin is one of the 16 teams that forms Cuba's top league on an island with a population of about 11.5 million. That's only slightly larger than the Dominican Republic (9.5 million), and about the same size as Ohio. They may be baseball-crazy, but that's only about 1/14 the ratio between the US population and major leagues, (300 million for 30 teams), and ignores the fact that the US majors draw from more than just the US, and that many of the best players have left Cuba for the US. We would expect the level of play in the Cuban league to be lower than the US.

By comparing the statistics of players who have left Cuba and come to the US—such as Yuniesky Betancourt, Kendry Morales, and Alexei Ramirez—in terms what they've done there and then once they reach the majors, we can get a good idea of the level of play in Cuba. The changes in their statistics suggests that the Cuban level of play is similar to the Low-A leagues here in the US, so something like the South Atlantic or Midwest leagues.

Alowing for that level of play, here is what those stats translate to as far as a US major league line:

Aroldis Chapman Born: 9/11/1987 Age: 21 Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6'3" Weight 185
    Year Team Lge G GS IP H ER HR BB K W L SV H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 NERA PBRA
    2006 Holguin CBA 15 15 47.1 54 53 19 64 45 1 4 0 10.3 3.6 12.2 8.6 8.75 11.31
    2007 Holguin CBA 23 12 69.2 76 63 24 61 88 2 6 6 9.8 3.1 7.9 11.4 5.68 7.75
    2008 Holguin CBA 16 16 70.1 64 43 14 45 65 3 5 0 8.2 1.8 5.8 8.3 6.78 6.20
    2009 Holguin CBA 22 20 107.1 115 80 25 73 105 4 8 0 9.6 2.1 6.1 8.8 6.29 6.46
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minors 76 63 294.2 309 239 82 243 303 10 23 6 9.4 2.5 7.4 9.3 6.66 7.60

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Aroldis Chapman Update: Decision Coming Soon?
    By Mark Polishuk [January 5 at 8:48pm CST]

Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Aroldis Chapman sweepstakes may be nearing a close. According to Rodriguez, Chapman is saying that he "expects to sign within the next three or four days." As many as 15 clubs have shown some degree of interest in the Cuban left-hander, including several small-market franchises.

One such team, the Marlins, are particularly taken with Chapman since they hope that South Florida's large Cuban population will tempt the 21-year-old into signing at something of a hometown discount. Rodriguez reports that the Marlins have already made a $13MM contract offer to Chapman and have now raised that offer --- a wise move given that the Red Sox have already offered Chapman $15.5MM.

The Marlins' maneuvering may be all for naught, however. An unnamed source tells Rodriguez that the Angels and Blue Jays seem to be the favorites to sign the Cuban left-hander, and that Chapman will sign with one of the two clubs for "around $21MM."

---------------------

Much admiration for the Marlins being that **** aggressive for a small market team, then again aren't the Marlins a pretty strict "slot" team in the draft. I know they don't like to spend on the first round... so this is where they must be trying to bust their wads - latin america

$21 million is a ****load of dough for a 21 year old unproven player who's only competition as Mister Pttsburgh pointed out was against Class A claiber guys

Threads : 45

He pitched in WBC and did quite well. He has work to do, but I'd sign him.

Let me repeat from a previous post...It has been reported many times that the Pirates are not a player for this kid.

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Let me repeat from a previous post...It has been reported many times that the Pirates are not a player for this kid.
    the Pirates are never a player for anybody good unless they draft them, or they're rehabbing from their arm falling off, but nevertheless, I'd still sign him if I was spending money no where else.

Threads : 20

$21 million for Chapman is ****ing rediculous, I don't care how good he looked in the WBC.

We've seen this avenue before, a defector who set the world on fire in international play, then came to the bigs and were lost, or came nowhere close to living up to the hype.. See Jose Contreras.

I'd like to see how this kid pans out. $21 million is a pretty high price tag for a hugely unproven commodity.

Not that I think the insane amount of money this specific Latin player will command can be justified, but I am still waiting for Huntington to follow through with his hollow words that they 'need to be aggressive in the latin market', unless by that he meant ****ing off players agents.

I think for any team to really rise to the top above others there HAS to be some risk taken somewhere to try and get ahead. There are also only so many ways to acquire talent for their organization.

1. Amateur draft
    2. International signings
    3. Rule 5 draft
    4. Waived players
    5. Free agency
    6. Trade established MLB'ers for prospects
    7. Trade prospects for established MLB'ers

As of right now we have done a good job the past 2 years with 1.

We did ok with 4 picking up Garrett Jones. If he can build on last year he is a steal.

We have done ok with 6 on some fronts and not so hot on others.

5 isn't really an option other than placeholder scrubs they pick up.

Not sure on 3 to tell you the truth. Have we suceeded in this?

So to me since really most our players are traded for prospects already and we are kind of bare bones, that leaves really only the draft and international signings as avenues to pick up potentially premeire talent at this point.

7 won't come into play until we are pretty stacked on the minor league level and ready to make a push on the MLB level.

Gotta hit up and be aggressive in the international market this summer. Sure, it is risky, but the dollars spent on bonuses is peanuts compared to free agency, really the only other avenue to acquire players that are worth a ****.

Threads : 20

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Not that I think the insane amount of money this specific Latin player will command can be justified, but I am still waiting for Huntington to follow through with his hollow words that they 'need to be aggressive in the latin market', unless by that he meant ****ing off players agents.
    I completely agree that they have to continue efforts to improve their scouting in Latin American countries. We've heard NH sing the song, now he needs to dance the dance.

I think their run at Sano was a good step forward. However, sooner or later, I want to see verified results.

I think for any team to really rise to the top above others there HAS to be some risk taken somewhere to try and get ahead. There are also only so many ways to acquire talent for their organization.

1. Amateur draft
    3. Rule 5 draft
    4. Waived players
    5. Free agency
    Drafting and International Signings are the way the Pirates are going to make their headwaves for the forseeable future. I think Huntington has placed a greater emphasis on this, and eventually we're going to see results.

I also think he really cornered #6 in 2009. The verdict's still out on each of his prospect acquisitions, however he made some calculated gambles trading "proven fan favorites" for prospects. Usually, prospects are a 50-50 proposition. If 5 out of 10 wind up becoming impact players, NH should be lauded. Already his Nady-Marte for Ohlendorf-Tabata-McCutchen-Karsetens trade looks like the mother of all steals.

We did ok with 4 picking up Garrett Jones. If he can build on last year he is a steal.
    Jones fits the low-risk, high reward category.. I think there's still a few free agents out there who fit that criteria. Hell, to a degree Crosby does.

Too early to tell yet. I like Raynor, I'm interested in seeing how he pans out.

1. Amateur draft
    3. Rule 5 draft
    4. Waived players
    5. Free agency

As of right now we have done a good job the past 2 years with 1.

We have done ok with 6 on some fronts and not so hot on others.

5 isn't really an option other than placeholder scrubs they pick up.

So to me since really most our players are traded for prospects already and we are kind of bare bones, that leaves really only the draft and international signings as avenues to pick up potentially premeire talent at this point.

7 won't come into play until we are pretty stacked on the minor league level and ready to make a push on the MLB level.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Gotta hit up and be aggressive in the international market this summer. Sure, it is risky, but the dollars spent on bonuses is peanuts compared to free agency, really the only other avenue to acquire players that are worth a ****[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    It's not that black and white....The Pirates aren't the exclusive player in that market. There are 29 other teams trying to do the same thing....most with bigger pocket books. If the Pirates can sign 1 one top player and several promising players a year that’s good enough. This basically is their plan but this year it got sabotaged by Sano.

As for the rule5 question

Meek, Veal, Raynor.....you be the judge.

Rule V's are crapshoots. I think we've done alright. I don't like the Raynor pick at all but I like Meek and if Veal keeps improving, it will be nice to have a high K-rate hard throwing lefty in the rotation.

NH has done much better early on the with the rule V than Littlefield did not that, that says much but that's the goal... to improve over the previous GM that ran everything into the ground

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information