Threads : 122

Default Defending Ligashesky

Steelers Opponents kick return yards
    2009 - ranked 27th with 24.3 avg. - 4 TD's
    2008 - ranked 1st with 19.1 avg. - 0 TD's

Steelers Opponents punt return yards
    2009 - ranked 23rd with 9.8 avg. - 0 TD's
    2008 - ranked 4th with 6.2 avg. - 0 TD's

I was unable to find any sites that had who all was on the kick off and punt units in 2009 vs. 2008, and I am sure it switched quite often, especially in 2009. But wasn't there quite a few players that were on the 2008 unit that were pulled off of it because they became starters (Timmons-Harrison)?

I also think that some of Ligashesky's guys were cut in camp, like Madison.

One kind of interesting thing I noticed from our rookie of the year last year, Bailey, was that he sucked this year. In 2008 Bailey was active for only 12 of the 16 regular season games and had 13 tackles. There was only one game where he was active that he didn't make a tackle. In 2009 Bailey was active for every game and had 13 tackles, same total as the year before but he was active for 4 more games. And looking deeper, there were 7 games that he did not make a tackle.

I guess what I am getting at is did a guy that had the 1st & 4th ranked coverage units in the NFL last season suddenly forget how to coach special teams or were a lot of his good players replaced by rookies and scrub castoffs from other teams like Corey Ivey and Keiwan Ratliff? Ligashesky has been a coach for 25 years, 6 in the NFL and 19 in college. I don't think the guy is a bum and should be run out of town. I think he had some ****ty players to work with.

Offensive Coordinators and Defensive Coordinators get some say in who is drafted. Special Teams coaches, I would think, don't pull as much weight. Ligashesky gets to pick from the non starters and backups who will be on his units and we all saw how tremendous our defensive backups were this year, especially at tackling.

On another note, any time I watched a kickoff, Andre Frazier was getting his *** kicked or was dancing around getting blocked.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; Jan-04-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Threads : 10

Default Re: Defending Ligashesky

Good luck with that.

Threads : 691

Without looking it up,I'm willing to bet that last year's rank was out of character compared to his S.P. rank with the time he spent with the Rams and Pitt.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steelers Opponents kick return yards
    2009 - ranked 27th with 24.3 avg. - 4 TD's
    2008 - ranked 1st with 19.1 avg. - 0 TD's

Steelers Opponents punt return yards
    2009 - ranked 23rd with 9.8 avg. - 0 TD's
    2008 - ranked 4th with 6.2 avg. - 0 TD's

I was unable to find any sites that had who all was on the kick off and punt units in 2009 vs. 2008, and I am sure it switched quite often, especially in 2009. But wasn't there quite a few players that were on the 2008 unit that were pulled off of it because they became starters (Timmons-Harrison)?

I also think that some of Ligashesky's guys were cut in camp, like Madison.

One kind of interesting thing I noticed from our rookie of the year last year, Bailey, was that he sucked this year. In 2008 Bailey was active for only 12 of the 16 regular season games and had 13 tackles. There was only one game where he was active that he didn't make a tackle. In 2009 Bailey was active for every game and had 13 tackles, same total as the year before but he was active for 4 more games. And looking deeper, there were 7 games that he did not make a tackle.

I guess what I am getting at is did a guy that had the 1st & 4th ranked coverage units in the NFL last season suddenly forget how to coach special teams or were a lot of his good players replaced by rookies and scrub castoffs from other teams like Corey Ivey and Keiwan Ratliff? [HIGH-LIGHT]Ligashesky has been a coach for 25 years, 6 in the NFL and 19 in college. I don't think the guy is a bum and should be run out of town.[/HIGH-LIGHT] I think he had some ****ty players to work with.

Offensive Coordinators and Defensive Coordinators get some say in who is drafted. Special Teams coaches, I would think, don't pull as much weight. Ligashesky gets to pick from the non starters and backups who will be on his units and we all saw how tremendous our defensive backups were this year, especially at tackling.

On another note, any time I watched a kickoff, Andre Frazier was getting his *** kicked or was dancing around getting blocked.
    the guy was terrible with the Rams and the Pitt Panthers when he was there. why we ever hired this dud in the first place, is beyond me.

Joe Starkey :

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491024.html

Again, it's possible Ligashesky is going to become the special-teams version of Bill Belichick. He had some good years at Bowling Green. But if I'm the guy doing the hiring, and I'm looking at his recent job performance, I'm cringing.

In 2003, Ligashesky coached Pitt's special teams. The Panthers were last in the Big East in kickoff and punt returns. They also finished 116th in kickoff coverage, which might not seem bad until you consider 117 teams played Division I-A football.

In St. Louis this season, Ligashesky's units allowed an NFC-worst three kick-return touchdowns. The Rams somehow managed to finish below the Steelers in punt and kick return average.(27th and 26th, respectively) and had the 28th-best kickoff coverage team. The punt coverage was better -- 10th overall -- but allowed a touchdown. (Emphasis Added.)
    Also.... in Liga****ty's first year here (2007) didn't we give up a return to the Jags, 1 to the Cards, 1 to Cribbs and the Browns??

I can't remember exactly how many but in 3 seasons, Liga****ty's ST's have allowed too many return TD's and if there's 1 good out of 3 seasons, that tells me personally what is more the norm and what is more the exception. I've personally had enough ti this scrub's [**** poor coaching. Let him go back to something more his speed like college Ball at Bowling State

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Without looking it up,I'm willing to bet that last year's rank was out of character compared to his S.P. rank with the time he spent with the Rams and Pitt.
    2007 - ranked 16th in kick coverage with 22.6 avg. return and 14th in punt coverage with 8.6 per return.

In 2004, year before his hiring there, St. Louis was dead last in kick coverage with 25.5 avg. and they were 30th in punt coverage with an 11.9 avg.

In 2005, they were 30th in kick coverage and 29th in punt coverage.

In 2006, they were 28th in kick coverage and 19th in punt coverage.

Pretty modest progression there I guess.

Don't have energy to go investigate his time at Pitt. Here is his profile on the Steelers main site....

http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49266/

Bob Ligashesky enters his third season with the Steelers after he was hired on Jan. 29, 2007, as the team’s special teams coordinator.

Ligashesky, 46, is a native of Pittsburgh and has 25 years of coaching experience, including six in the NFL and 19 in the collegiate ranks.

Along with assistant special teams coach Amos Jones, Ligashesky’s unit became the top coverage unit in the NFL in 2008. Pittsburgh ranked first in kick coverage (19.1 avg.) and fourth in punt coverage (6.2 avg.). Additionally, Santonio Holmes set a franchise postseason record by returning a punt 67 yards for a score during the Steelers’ 35-24 AFC Divisional Game victory over the San Diego Chargers.

Ligashesky (lig-a-SHES-kee) spent two seasons as the special teams coach for the St. Louis Rams, prior to joining Pittsburgh (2005, 2006). The Rams’ special teams unit in 2005 scored its first touchdown on a kickoff return since 2000 as Chris Johnson returned the opening kickoff 99 yards for the score in Week 5 againstSeattle. Last season also marked the third time since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995 that the club had at least two blocked kicks in a season. Ligashesky’s unit also forced and recovered fumbles on special teams for the first time since 2000.

Prior to joining the Rams in 2005, Ligashesky served as the assistant special teams coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004, his first season in the NFL.

Ligashesky served as the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh from 2000-03, after spending the previous nine seasons (1991-99) at Bowling Green, coaching linebackers and special teams before being named assistant head coach during his final season. During his tenure at Bowling Green, the Falcons captured two Mid-American Conference championships (1991, 1992) and earned a pair of bowl berths.

Ligashesky coached outside linebackers and worked with special teams units at Kent State for two years (1989-90), and was a graduate assistant at Arizona State from 1986-88, working with outside linebackers and defensive line. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Wake Forest in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    the guy was terrible with the Rams and the Pitt Panthers when he was there. why we ever hired this dud in the first place, is beyond me.

Joe Starkey :

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491024.html

Also.... in Liga****ty's first year here (2007) didn't we give up a return to the Jags, 1 to the Cards, 1 to Cribbs and the Browns??

I can't remember exactly how many but in 3 seasons, Liga****ty's ST's have allowed too many return TD's and if there's 1 good out of 3 seasons, that tells me personally what is more the norm and what is more the exception. I've personally had enough ti this scrub's [**** poor coaching. Let him go back to something more his speed like college Ball at Bowling State
    Ha! I guess I was dead wrong on him! I was comparing last season to this season and some of the turnover player wise on his units. When you look at the larger sample size, it looks like he was hired simply because he is a pittsburgh guy......

My defense of him was a complete failure!!!!!!!

Threads : 691

A funny fact about Ligashesky, a buddy of mine who I grew up with and is like a brother to me knew Ligashesky. They were on Lock Haven University's football team as freshmen. Ligashesky transfered to I.U.P. the following year. My friend said Ligashesky doesn't even have L.H.U. listed on his bio. He said maybe it's because he wasn't exactly popular with his teammates there.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 60

Name one assistant that Tomlin has brought in that is worth a crap?

That should help answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Name one assistant that Tomlin has brought in that is worth a crap?

That should help answer your question.
    Did Tomlin bring him in, Arians in, etc? Or was he guided by management to these folks? I wonder about stuff like that.

I mean the only reason Bruce Arians was even the WR coach was because he was at KC as a RB coach the exact same years that Bill Cowher was...89-92. Supposedly, according to Tomlin, he retained him for some continuity.

Zierlein was Arians offensive line coach in Cleveland the exact same years Arians was in Cleveland 01-04.

Randy Fichtner, the WR coach, was a Tomlin hire from the University of Memphis. If you look at Holmes improvement and Wallace play you might be inclined to say he was a good hire. Not sure if anyone can teach a player to catch (Limas) .

Ken Anderson (QB Coach) and Kirby Wilson (RB coach) also got hired by Tomlin.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did Tomlin bring him in, Arians in, etc? Or was he guided by management to these folks? I wonder about stuff like that.

I mean the only reason Bruce Arians was even the WR coach was because he was at KC as a RB coach the exact same years that Bill Cowher was...89-92. Supposedly, according to Tomlin, he retained him for some continuity.

Zierlein was Arians offensive line coach in Cleveland the exact same years Arians was in Cleveland 01-04.

Randy Fichtner, the WR coach, was a Tomlin hire from the University of Memphis. If you look at Holmes improvement and Wallace play you might be inclined to say he was a good hire. Not sure if anyone can teach a player to catch (Limas) .

Ken Anderson (QB Coach) and Kirby Wilson (RB coach) also got hired by Tomlin.
    Arians likely wasn't a tomlin decision. Zierlein was likely influenced onto him by Arians. I swear there's a Ken Anderson connection I'm missing too...

All of these guys blow same with Kirby Wilson as well. I don't mind the WR coach

Arians likely wasn't a tomlin decision. Zierlein was likely influenced onto him by Arians. I swear there's a Ken Anderson connection I'm missing too...

All of these guys blow same with Kirby Wilson as well. I don't mind the WR coach
    Yeah, pretty scary when you hire Cleveland and Cincy castoffs

I am not one of those ready to call for Tomlin's head....but the time has come for him to put his stamp on the team, if he as one.....

My defense of him was a complete failure!!!!!!!
    Oh, I knew Kipper wouldn't let that **** slide....

He's been ranting about that guy's **** poor history all year.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    Oh, I knew Kipper wouldn't let that **** slide....

He's been ranting about that guy's **** poor history all year.

He was certainly on the ball with that retort. I was simply thinking about some of the players that were yanked from his services from 2008 to 2009 but when you look at his history you gotta wonder WTF he is doing as an NFL coach.

I definately F'ed up even creating this thread....now it will haunt me!

Eh....

He did lose some players, but the coach is responsible for bringing the replacements up to speed.

Those guys were undisciplined about their lanes and the outside just always seemed to be open for some reason.

That's on coaching.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information