Thread: Playoff Teams Trends

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Playoff Teams Trends

Originally Published: January 4, 2010
    DJ Gallo's NFL Hangover, By DJ Gallo
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...4&sportCat=nfl

The postseason is here. Every team has the same record again. It's all about who plays the best in the next month.

Let's take a look at which teams are entering the playoffs trending up, and which teams are trending down.

Jets (9-7, AFC No. 6 seed): Up -- They won five of their last six games to sneak into the playoffs. And you can't take their last two wins away from them just because their opponents weren't trying. (Please tell us you weren't trying, Bengals. Please. At least pretend you weren't trying.) Best of all for the Jets: Announcers keep saying Mark Sanchez may very well be the next Peyton Manning or Terry Bradshaw because, like those two Hall of Famers, he threw a ton of interceptions as a rookie. Makes perfect sense to me! Congratulations on your upcoming Super Bowl, Jets fans! With your defense and running game backing this unstoppable Peyton Bradshaw hybrid, you can't be defeated.

Ravens (9-7, AFC No. 5 seed): Flat -- Their offense isn't very good, their defense isn't very good and they struggle mightily to win on the road. They are the poster child for a wild-card team. (If posters could scream and dance. Get on it, Fathead!) However, they made the playoffs and the Steelers didn't. In a rivalry, that's like winning a mini Super Bowl. Congratulations, Ravens!

Cardinals (10-6, NFC No. 4 seed): Flat -- The Cardinals got crushed by the Packers on Sunday. But they also sat their starters for much of the game. It seemed like a desperate attempt to recapture the late-season stink of 2008 that propelled them to the Super Bowl. Or something. We'll see if it works.

Bengals (10-6, AFC No. 4 seed): Way Down -- Cincinnati has lost three of its last four. All three losses came to playoff teams, including a 37-0 defeat to the Jets (the team they'll be playing in the first round). Chad Ochocinco says he will be introduced before Saturday's game as "Chad Johnson." That's at least a positive for the Bengals. Maybe hearing that old name will jar Carson Palmer's muscle memory back to that one year when No. 85 was good.

Patriots (10-6, AFC No. 3 seed): Down -- The Patriots are always dangerous. But now they have to play without leading receiver Wes Welker, who blew out his knee on Sunday. This is why Randy Moss never runs hard, Wes. Too risky. It's straight logic, homey.

Eagles (11-5, NFC No. 6 seed): Down -- The Eagles have been swept by the Cowboys this season and now have to head back to Dallas to play the Cowboys again. You have to have serious doubts about whether the Eagles have enough to end their season without yet another crushing NFC title game defeat. I say they don't reach that glory this year.

Packers (11-5, NFC No. 5 seed): Up -- The Packers have won seven of eight, including Sunday's 33-7 win over the Cardinals in Arizona, where they'll have to play again on Sunday. They have to feel good about that. Especially because it's supposed to be 14 degrees on Sunday in Green Bay.

Cowboys (11-5, NFC No. 3 seed): Up -- "Up" is also the name of a movie about a guy who flies his house around the world by hooking it up to a bunch of helium balloons and then, upon landing, fights against talking dogs. The Cowboys playing well at the end of the season seems as realistic to me.

Vikings (12-4, NFC No. 2 seed): Down -- Sorry, Vikings. You don't get to reverse your momentum by crushing the New York Giants. All we learned is that Giants fall to the earth much faster than Vikings. An important scientific find, sure. But it means nothing as far as the playoffs are concerned.

Saints (13-3, NFC No. 1 seed): Down -- I am fully aware of my failings, dear reader. I know that at any given moment on these here interwebs, there are as many as one, possibly two, things that are funnier. Today's example: This column in the Times-Picayune titled "New Orleans Saints right where Sean Payton wants them."

It includes such gems as: "Losers of three consecutive games after Sunday's ugly 23-10 loss to the Carolina Panthers, the Saints are right where Payton wants them as the postseason begins: doubted, distrusted and discounted."

And: "While giving his team what amounts to a much-needed three-week respite, Payton has simultaneously managed to provide them with a motivational edge. He's deftly turned a negative into a positive. And his team has bought into it."

And: "Hailed as one of the NFL's best motivators, Payton learned from one of the all-time greats in Bill Parcells. He speaks fondly of how Parcells masterfully 'created a crisis' when need be. That appears to be what Payton has done, albeit unintentionally."

I love columns that are funny, albeit unintentionally. Now I'll just sit back and see if Sean Payton is a genius, albeit unintentionally.

Chargers (13-3, AFC No. 2 seed): Up -- The Chargers have won 11 in a row. Now all they need to do is to get rid of head coach Norv Turner and they should coast to a Super Bowl title.

Colts (14-2, AFC No. 1 seed): Flat -- The Colts throttle back at the end of the year, lose and then get a week off before they play again. I've seen this movie before. It's like a remake with a new director. "2005: A Colts Odyssey."

sjdrewk

Default Re: Playoff Teams Trends

People tend to make knee jerk reactions to results from the last weekend of the season such as the Pukes whipping the Eagle and the Cards and the Bungles flopping on the last game and think along those lines an make the judgement as to what will happen in the playoffs. Not necessarily the case. The only thing we do know for sure is that we don't know what will happen in the playoffs.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's what today's media does, make knee jerk reactions and publish BS articles. Most outlets would rather be noticed, and put out crap articles, than have a smaller following but put out quality.

I don't even know if it is possible to read a national publication anymore and get quality information on a team. Pretty much you have to go to each team's websites and sift through their blogs and podcasts to get anything intelligible.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's what today's media does, make knee jerk reactions and publish BS articles. Most outlets would rather be noticed, and put out crap articles, than have a smaller following but put out quality.

I don't even know if it is possible to read a national publication anymore and get quality information on a team. Pretty much you have to go to each team's websites and sift through their blogs and podcasts to get anything intelligible.
    Not sure when journalism turned that horrifying corner of just printing and writing garbage just to illicit reaction but it's so bad that I don't read too many articles anymore and i've turned my back on Sportscenter for at least 20 years.

Threads : 10

I hope Cincy makes it to the superbowl and loses.

AGAIN!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chad Ochocinco says he will be introduced before Saturday's game as "Chad Johnson." That's at least a positive for the Bengals. Maybe hearing that old name will jar Carson Palmer's muscle memory back to that one year when No. 85 was good.

When was the last time the Regular season ended with 6 teams (3 games) playing each other a week later in the first round of the playoffs? Pretty crazy, I can't really remember it and it is THAT very thing that makes this wildcard round so **** tough to predict.

Were the Jets that dominating? Were the Bengals that bad? Is it somewhere in the middle and the Bengals were simply holding back because they knew the Jets would expose themselves playing in high desperation mode... Is Marvin Lewis even smart enough to think that way?

The Cards defense is going to have issues against The Packers air game. It's safe to say that without Kurt Warner the Cardinals offense is a joke. Matt Leinart = Bust. you can't take anything away from that game.

Eagles and cowboys... It's not really been a fluke... the Cowboys IMO are that much better than the Eagles. McNabb is weak mentally and going right back to Dallas a week later after losing to the Cowgirls twice... I can see a guy forcing stuff which is what always kills McNabbs in the playoffs...... however, the cowgirls could get cocky.

Just a real tough batch of games to choose. tough because there's not really a team can flat out win in any of these. they can go either way

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information