Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roster Management: Moss in CF?

Threads : 138

Default Roster Management: Moss in CF?

From Vlad at BucsDugout...

"by Vlad on Jan 4, 2010 5:32 PM EST

Dejan addressed some roster management issues in today's Q&A , mostly in response to a question about Ramon Vazquez's continued presence on the roster. More interestingly, however, he suggested that the team sees Brandon Moss as a viable backup option in CF. If so, this would seem to increase Delwyn Young's chances of making the roster, while correspondingly decreasing minor league pickup Jonathan Van Every's. It would also seem to suggest that Steve Pearce would need to unseat either Young or Jeff Clement in order to claim a job this spring.

Moss's career .700 OPS would unquestionably look much more adequate in center field, if he proves capable. He's never played so much as one professional inning at the position, but he enjoyed a reputation as a good corner defender coming up through the minors, and UZR sees him as about a +10 defender per 150 games in a little over 1,400 career defensive innings in LF and RF, a large enough sample to provide at least some reason for optimism.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the challenge. His career with the Pirates may depend on the results."
    http://www.bucsdugout.com/

Threads : 21

Default Re: Roster Management: Moss in CF?

They want Jeff Clement to be the everyday 1st basemen, he will get every opportunity to win that job.
    Young is a good bat off the bench but his Defense is terrible, i dont see him making the team I am hoping they trade him for something rather than just cut him.

Jonathan Van Every's will be ok imo, he can be a late inning PR

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You think Van Every is going to make the team before Moss or Young? Maybe Raynor pushes one out, but it won't be Van Every.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You think Van Every is going to make the team before Moss or Young? Maybe Raynor pushes one out, but it won't be Van Every.
    I was thinking Van was the kid we got from Flordia i see i was wrong.

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
    I was thinking Van was the kid we got from Flordia i see i was wrong.
    I think Pearce loses his job before Moss or Young. You'll have 13 position players and 12 pitchers

C Doumit
    1b Clement
    2b Iwamura
    3b LaRoche
    SS Cedeno
    Lf Milledge
    Cf McCutchen
    Rf Jones

the bench will have Jaramillo, Young, Crosby, Vazquez

For the last spot barring any additions it will be Moss, Raynor, and Pearce. Unless they move Vazquez, I could see the last spot coming down to Moss and Raynor.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    I think Pearce loses his job before Moss or Young. You'll have 13 position players and 12 pitchers

C Doumit
    1b Clement
    2b Iwamura
    3b LaRoche
    SS Cedeno
    Lf Milledge
    Cf McCutchen
    Rf Jones

the bench will have Jaramillo, Young, Crosby, Vazquez

For the last spot barring any additions it will be Moss, Raynor, and Pearce. Unless they move Vazquez, I could see the last spot coming down to Moss and Raynor.
    I dunno. The ONE thing... ok... 2 things of value that Pearce has is that he is decent defensively and he can do what Jones and Clement can't do and that is hit Left handed pitching. There's some smidget of use for Pearce IF he is used correctly. the problem is that Russell generally doesn't use players at all for strategic advantages. So... "platooning" is probably asking for too much.

Very crowded bench I guess I've got no idea which way they'll go. My guess is to carry 2 OF bench guys so Moss and Young are it unless aynor really impresses.

Infield, Crosby and Vasquez are givens and then Jaramillo. The nice thing about this is that you have Jones as your backup 1B already and personally I think both Moss and Young are better bat options than Pearce and both are better defensively in the outfield which makes Pearce really pretty useless on the bench.

That's my best guess

Threads : 27
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm still trying to figure out why Clement has been given the 1B job. I doubt he will be there after spring training and it makes more sense to have Jones there anyway. I'd prefer to acquire a RF through trade since Moss and Young are not the answers.

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why Clement has been given the 1B job. I doubt he will be there after spring training and it makes more sense to have Jones there anyway. I'd prefer to acquire a RF through trade since Moss and Young are not the answers.
    I agree with you Shay, Although it would be nice if Clement could stick at first and be at least adequate defensively. But I think Jones would be better there , I hope NH can find a RF with a little pop in his bat before season. I don't think Pearce is the answer at either position ... I would like to see Moss get his head out of his *** and be the Rf....I would rather see him get an extended look out there than Pearce. I don't see an everday player in Pearce. I still kinda like the Rick Ankiel rumors ... but that's probably all they are. Don't see him coming here.

Cf.- Cutch
    2B.- Aki
    1B- Jones
    C.- Doumit
    Rf.-Moss
    Lf.- Milledge
    3B.- Laroche
    SS Cedeno

That's how I see the opening day lineup barring any more trades
    "Never interrupt the enemy when he's making a mistake" Napoleon Bonaparte

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman77 View Post
    I agree with you Shay, Although it would be nice if Clement could stick at first and be at least adequate defensively. But I think Jones would be better there , I hope NH can find a RF with a little pop in his bat before season. I don't think Pearce is the answer at either position ... I would like to see Moss get his head out of his *** and be the Rf....I would rather see him get an extended look out there than Pearce. I don't see an everday player in Pearce. I still kinda like the Rick Ankiel rumors ... but that's probably all they are. Don't see him coming here.

Cf.- Cutch
    2B.- Aki
    1B- Jones
    C.- Doumit
    Rf.-Moss
    Lf.- Milledge
    3B.- Laroche
    SS Cedeno

Moss sucks. I am tired of running the MLB club like it is a ****ing tryout. I thought the scholarships were over....I want guys to have to kick down the door between AAA and MLB by kicking *** in AAA instead of just handing out jobs cause there is nobody else.

I would also be interested in offering Ankiel an incentive laden 2 year contract. If Ankiel succeeds then he could be traded if Tabata starts hitting for power at AAA. If Ankiel doesn't do **** on an incentive laden deal, no harm no foul.

Threads : 215

I disagree with everyone on Young's defense. Given a chance he will field. I am actually concerned about his and Jones' at bats, since all the pitchers have seen them.....can thay adjust?

Young had over half a season to prove he could hack it and he **** the bed. His only calling card is a late inninging Switch hitter who may run into a HR.

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why Clement has been given the 1B job.

Because they didn't trade for Jeff Clement last season to have a 26 year old kid rot in the Minor Leagues. He was traded for because Huntington (rightly or wrongly) believes he can be a major league player and is going to be penciled in as a starter to fullfil that opportunity. He won't be competing in "Spring Training". Players don't really compete in Spring Training. I know and you know and we all know that GMs and coaches play up this whole "competition in spring training" stuff but it really is all 120% pure bull**** for about 90% of the roster. The only competition is where there's a logjam of league minimum players for 1 or 2 spots (This years bullpen and a bench spot is the only ST competition spots)

I doubt he will be there after spring training

Unless he gets badly injured there is absolutely no rational reason for why he won't be here after Sopring Training. . It's not like huntington is going to really evaluate him in Spring Training. GM's and coaches don't really make personnel decisions based on Sprong Training. Only in the moves, in the real world, that **** isn't happening

and it makes more sense to have Jones there anyway.

Jones will probably eventually get into that spot... who knows, Jones could flop big time this year. We have to still find out if Garrett Jones is for real or a flop himself... having options helps protect you against flops

I'd prefer to acquire a RF through trade since Moss and Young are not the answers.

Moss and Young are bench guys. Trading for a RF will doing nothing except eat into our prospects in the minors for a player that we don't need since Jose Tabata is probably only a few months away from taking over RF anyways

Telling ya Shay... get used to Jeff Clement at 1B to start off the season. you don't have to like it one bit... but it'll save an ulcer if you accept it

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    I disagree with everyone on Young's defense. Given a chance he will field. I am actually concerned about his and Jones' at bats, since all the pitchers have seen them.....can thay adjust?
    Young isn't any worse of a fielder than Garett Jones in RF. Both are about the same if I remember looking at the numbers... but Garett Jones' offense easily trumps Delwyn Young's so it becomes a moot point.

When it comes to Young and Moss, I think you need both personally. young is by far the better hitter especially off the bench, Brandon Moss is probably our best defensive outfielder on the roster outside of Andrew McCutchen. both are useful bench guys for the OF.

Steve Pearce is the guy I can't find a spot for. He's terrible defensively on the OF and is only useful as a below average hitter in a platoon. He's basically Josh Phelps that can't hit since he has no value at any other position except 1B.... Because we have Jones who can play 1st and Clement who will play 1st... we don't need to carry a 3rd first base bench guy IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman77 View Post

Cf.- Cutch
    2B.- Aki
    1B- Jones
    C.- Doumit
    Rf.-Moss
    Lf.- Milledge
    3B.- Laroche
    SS Cedeno

1. Mccutchen (cf)
    2. Iwamura (2B)
    3. Jones (rf)
    4. doumit (c)
    5. Milledge (lf)
    6. Laroche (3b)
    7. Clement (1b)
    8. Cedeno (SS)

5-7 you could basically mix around as to who bats where. Who wever is showing the best power and/or best contact is gong to go into the 5th spot... I put milledge there since at least based on last season he's got the best BA but who knows... if Clement shows that left handed pull power at PNC Park.....

There's no way in hell Brandon Moss starts

Threads : 94

Originally Posted by ShayP
    I'm still trying to figure out why Clement has been given the 1B job.

Because they didn't trade for Jeff Clement last season to have a 26 year old kid rot in the Minor Leagues. He was traded for because Huntington (rightly or wrongly) believes he can be a major league player and is going to be penciled in as a starter to fullfil that opportunity. He won't be competing in "Spring Training". Players don't really compete in Spring Training. I know and you know and we all know that GMs and coaches play up this whole "competition in spring training" stuff but it really is all 120% pure bull**** for about 90% of the roster. The only competition is where there's a logjam of league minimum players for 1 or 2 spots (This years bullpen and a bench spot is the only ST competition spots)

************************************************** ****************************

Sure he is going to have to compete for a job in ST. Clement isn't a veteran… he hasn't done **** in the ML's. If NH gives this kid a job just because he traded for him then he's an idiot! That being said Clement will be given every opportunity to win the job and probably given the benefit of the doubt. He also would probably have to really play himself off the big league team not to go north in April.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information