Thread: Laroche Turns down Giants Offer

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Laroche Turns down Giants Offer

LaRoche Turns Down Giants' Offer
    By Mark Polishuk [January 5, 2010 at 6:08pm CST]

ESPN's Buster Olney reports (via Twitter) that Adam LaRoche turned down a two-year, $17MM deal from San Francisco, and now the Giants may have pulled their offer back altogether. LaRoche has been mentioned as a possible target for the Giants this winter and would certainly fill their need for a left-handed hitter, but as Olney notes in a follow-up tweet, San Francisco is "discussing alternatives" to signing the first baseman.

The Giants' stance could also be a negotiating tactic to get LaRoche to drop his asking price given that, as Olney pointed out, LaRoche seems to be down to just the Giants and Orioles as potential suitors. (The Mariners were scratched from the list given their acquisition of Casey Kotchman.)

Default Re: Laroche Turns down Giants Offer

Hey drew.... cross your fingers and hope that this isn't a negotiating tactic and he goes to the Orioles... if not, go shoot Sabean for signing this pile of **** who should hit about .200 or less until June with very little power. Should be helpful if you guys can make a late season run cause he turns into the best hitting 1B for the last 3 months of a season.... but the team has to be able to carry his complete lack of production for 3 months or so...

...so hope you guys aren't blowing $8.5 on Adam Laroche

Threads : 197

One thing LaRoche has going for him is that you know what you're getting when you sign him. Strange as it may sound he's one of the league's more consistent players over the past several years. You can pretty much lock him in for around 25 HR, an average around .275, and an OPS near .840. Unfortunately those numbers make him about the 20th best 1B in the league. I assume he's trying to find a third year somewhere, as those dollar figures seem to be about as good as he's going to get.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey drew.... cross your fingers and hope that this isn't a negotiating tactic and he goes to the Orioles... if not, go shoot Sabean for signing this pile of **** who should hit about .200 or less until June with very little power. Should be helpful if you guys can make a late season run cause he turns into the best hitting 1B for the last 3 months of a season.... but the team has to be able to carry his complete lack of production for 3 months or so...

...so hope you guys aren't blowing $8.5 on Adam Laroche
    I know, right? Give me a gun you guys, Sabes needs a little buckshot. Over here, I was listening to Ralph and Tom on KNBR and the update was about LaRoche and they made it sound like it was a bad thing that he turned down the G's offer. Now the talk on the radio is now they might go after whatshisface from the White Sox. We are simply pathetic in terms of getting fa's.

See how ****ing desperate the G's are? They go after everybody! You know what it is? I don't think any everyday players want to play in SF. Why would you? This ballpark isn't very hitter friendly. .

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    One thing LaRoche has going for him is that you know what you're getting when you sign him. Strange as it may sound he's one of the league's more consistent players over the past several years. You can pretty much lock him in for around 25 HR, an average around .275, and an OPS near .840. Unfortunately those numbers make him about the 20th best 1B in the league. I assume he's trying to find a third year somewhere, as those dollar figures seem to be about as good as he's going to get.
    You're absolutely right. Adam Laroche is definitely one of the most predictable players in the league, which is nice but it's also difficult to carry him....

Adam LaRoche is the most USELESS 1B in the league until June/July and then after that he becomes perhaps the most USEFUL 1B in the league. The problem with LaRoche is being able to carry the weight of his awful lack of production for the first 3 months of a season. If you are signing Adam Laroche to fulfill what his stat line says for a full season then you are truly ****ed cause you're going to get very little power, about 60-75 points lower in a batting average, an awful OBP since Laroche as a whiffing machine for the first 3 months....

LaRoche needs carried until he can become useful but if you can get to that point, adam goes on a ****ing tear in July/August/Septembers to where it's like you just won big time at the trade deadline and got this brand new productive power bat

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    I know, right? Give me a gun you guys, Sabes needs a little buckshot. Over here, I was listening to Ralph and Tom on KNBR and the update was about LaRoche and they made it sound like it was a bad thing that he turned down the G's offer. Now the talk on the radio is now they might go after whatshisface from the White Sox. We are simply pathetic in terms of getting fa's.

See how ****ing desperate the G's are? They go after everybody! You know what it is? I don't think any everyday players want to play in SF. Why would you? This ballpark isn't very hitter friendly. .
    Well.... at least you guys still have a strong Starting Rotation. That's key. Strong pitching is far better than having strong hitting IMO. Your pitchers can luckily make up for Sabean's mistakes but yeah... I don't think sabean is doing anything to really help improve the big hole on the giants which is offense. Who knows, maybe the stars will align

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Well.... at least you guys still have a strong Starting Rotation. That's key. Strong pitching is far better than having strong hitting IMO. Your pitchers can luckily make up for Sabean's mistakes but yeah... I don't think sabean is doing anything to really help improve the big hole on the giants which is offense. Who knows, maybe the stars will align

You know it!!

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information