Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else besides me like Arians?

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Anyone else besides me like Arians?

Below we have the year, then offensive points per game, then defensive points per game, then the result of that season

2009 23.0 20.3 missed playoffs
    2008 21.7 13.9 SuperBowl
    2007 24.6 16.8 Playoffs
    2006 22.1 19.7 missed playoffs
    2005 24.3 16.1 Super Bowl
    2004 23.3 15.7 AFC Championship

When the defense has an off year, we miss the playoffs.
    Missing the playoffs this year was not the fault of the offense, or offensive coordinator

Please, begin bashing

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anyone else besides me like Arians?

My major problem with Arians was demonstrated time and time again this season and summed up by week 17...up by 17 against Miami, with the ball at our own 18, We come out passing and Ben gets sacked on first down, assuring running minimal time off the clock.

It doesn't seem as if his style is great at playing with the lead.

Say what you want about Cowher but weren't his teams like 198,540 and 1 when his teams were leading by ten points at anytime in the game?

Sometimes you gotta take the air out of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My major problem with Arians was demonstrated time and time again this season and summed up by week 17...up by 17 against Miami, with the ball at our own 18, We come out passing and Ben gets sacked on first down, assuring running minimal time off the clock.

It doesn't seem as if his style is great at playing with the lead.

Say what you want about Cowher but weren't his teams like 198,540 and 1 when his teams were leading by ten points at anytime in the game?

Sometimes you gotta take the air out of the ball.
    If we had a Bettis I can see us still doing that.
    To me, to have them try to pass on an obvious running down is better then running up the middle for a gain of 1 or 2 against 8 in the box

I saw this in a column and it fits exactly how I feel:
    "The attention paid to the offensive coaches was curious because it was the decline on defense that likely cost the Steelers a chance to defend their Super Bowl championship. That defense blew fourth-quarter leads in five of seven losses and a tie in a sixth loss. They allowed two passes over 40 yards in 2008 and nine in 2009. They slipped from the #1 ranked pass defense to 16th in 2009"

Threads : 31

I look at it this way: The fans are upset because the offense ranked higher in yard gained than in points scored. But I think they would be happier if we finished the same in both categories even if yards gained dropped off. The defense was very highly ranked in yards but lower in points allowed however no one is screaming for the head of LeBeau. Both units failed in situational football, mainly 3rd and 4th and short and red zone offense and defense. I predicted the Steelers would be 13-3 this season. Better situational football on both sides of the ball and the team equals or surpasses that record.

Overall Arians' and LeBeau's units performed in similar fashion this year. So don't scream for the head of one and keep the other. Let Arians finish his contract but insist on using a fullback in key situations and no more empty backfield sets on 3rd and 1.

Threads : 70

The facts are these:

* The Steelers were third in the AFC in yards gained, fifth in passing, 12th rushing and sixth in points.

* Ben Roethlisberger set a Steelers record by passing for 4,328 yards. He yards per game total of 289 were second in the AFC, ahead of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. His passer rating was second best to Philip Rivers.

* In Mendenhall’s first full season, he ran for 1,108 yards, not bad for a guy who opened the season on the bench

* Wide receivers Santonio Holmes (1,248) and Hines Ward (1,167) both had 1,000-yard seasons.

* Heath Miller set a Steelers record for receptions by a tight end with 76.

It’s true, all that yardage could have produced more points

For all the nice numbers the Steelers have racked up in three seasons under Arians, there are plenty of not-so-nice numbers, starting with this one: Roethlisberger has been sacked 156 times, including playoffs

Points scored is the most important offensive statistic, and the Steelers don't score enough. In Arians' three seasons, they have finished in the top third of the league once, tied for ninth in 2007. In a full 25 percent of their games this season (four of 16), they scored one offensive touchdown or fewer.

The Steelers finished tied for 21st in red-zone offense — below the likes of Tampa Bay — after finishing a mediocre 15th last season. They failed to put away several games because of red-zone meltdowns.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Anyone else besides me like Arians?"

... Nope... Hope that helps.

... Seriously though, I do not. He is predictable, does not make the proper adjustments (sometimes no adjustments), and apparently let's his qb make the decisions for him (or at least does what he wants). ... And if he is "so good", how come no other team has been interested in him, even after we won the Super Bowl?

Those that are throwing out stats know that they are just numbers, and any of them can be shaped or twisted to make any one of a variety of points.

Yea, we didn't make the playoffs because of the defense IMO, but it still doesn't change what he is... Just my opinion.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

I do take comfort in the fact that Arians wasn't fired and replaced with someone that would bring back Steeler "smashmouth football."
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    "Anyone else besides me like Arians?"

... Nope... Hope that helps.

... Seriously though, I do not. He is predictable, does not make the proper adjustments (sometimes no adjustments), and apparently let's his qb make the decisions for him (or at least does what he wants). ... And if he is "so good", how come no other team has been interested in him, even after we won the Super Bowl?

Those that are throwing out stats know that they are just numbers, and any of them can be shaped or twisted to make any one of a variety of points.

Yea, we didn't make the playoffs because of the defense IMO, but it still doesn't change what he is... Just my opinion.
    LOL

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not as upset as most that he is staying. I don't like him, but I think we could do worse. What bothers me the most, is that Tomlin apparently doesn't have the authority to fire him. At this point, I would rather see Tomlin go than anyone else. I don't like the idea of a lame duck coach.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arians is good at drawing up plays, he is good at creating mismatches for the offense. The problem lies in his inability to call plays that allow the offense to get into a rhythm. When the defense figures out things and makes adjustments, Arians can't counter.
    When Arians can't counter, that is usually when Ben has to be Ben and he goes sandlot on the defense, of course he loves doing that.
    Arians will have a few drives per month where there is a good mix of the run and pass and we score a TD, although chances are that TD was scored from outside the redzone. I am curious, but off the top of my head, I would guess almost half of our TD's were scored out side the Redzone or from beyond the 15.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by PlayForBlood View Post
    Below we have the year, then offensive points per game, then defensive points per game, then the result of that season

2009 23.0 20.3 missed playoffs
    2008 21.7 13.9 SuperBowl
    2007 24.6 16.8 Playoffs
    2006 22.1 19.7 missed playoffs
    2005 24.3 16.1 Super Bowl
    2004 23.3 15.7 AFC Championship

When the defense has an off year, we miss the playoffs.
    Missing the playoffs this year was not the fault of the offense, or offensive coordinator

Please, begin bashing

I would compare our offensive skill position players with anyone else in the league. We may be ranked 7th offensively by yards, but are 13th by points. Defense had a down year for sure, but Arians designed offense has major holes. Specifically red zone offense. He didn't improve our redzone offense that was pathetic in 2008 and it was still pathetic in 2009.

We 100% would not have won the superbowl had our defense not been absolutely spectacular last season. We actually wouldn't have made the playoffs as our D won the Dallas game for us. Our defense also bailed out a crappy offensive adjustment in the AFCCG against Baltimore as we didn't do **** in the second half and our D had to once again bail out the O as Baltimore, missing their entire starting secondary, was 4 points down with 4 minutes to go before Troy took it to the house.

In the Superbowl our offense put up 13 points on that pathetic cardinals defense until the final drive that won it.

How did Bruce Arians awesome gameplanning work out in Cleveland this year? You know, the mighty 6 points we hung on the worst defense in the league?

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stats are catnip for two types of people.

1. ***s
    2. Fantasy ***s.

CLASS DISMISSED!!

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Stats are catnip for two types of people.

1. ***s
    2. Fantasy ***s.

CLASS DISMISSED!!
    Of which I am neither

I understand #'s do lie sometimes, that is why I watch the games also.
    I can find faults with all OC's I have ever seen for the Steelers and every team I follow. I am not saying he is great, but I would say he would be in demand if he left us because he is above average.

Threads : 10

Anyone else besides me like Arians?
    Ben.

That's about it......

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information