Thread: Snow curtails tailgating for tomorrow's Penn State game

Threads : 691

Default Snow curtails tailgating for tomorrow's Penn State game

Sure puts a damper on Homecoming.

Snow curtails tailgating for tomorrow's Penn State game
    Friday, October 16, 2009
    By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- An early season storm that has dumped more than 4 inches of heavy snow on Penn State University has curtailed tailgating for tomorrow's football game against Minnesota.

The National Weather Service said there's 4.5 inches of snow in State College and 2 more inches possible through tomorrow morning. The snow began falling yesterday, the earliest since one-tenth of an inch fell on Oct. 18, 1901.

The university issued a statement today saying that, due to the volume of snow already on the ground at University Park, combined with the forecast of potentially significant snowfall tonight, all grass parking lots near Beaver Stadium have been closed for the game.

Penn State is working with area businesses to have football patrons park in those lots and be shuttled to Beaver Stadium.

Parking in paved lots also will be restricted, with no tents or tailgates permitted in order to maximize the space available for parking in those lots. Those bringing RVs to the game may be redirected to other locations for parking.

"The grass lots are closed mainly for safety reasons. The ground was not yet frozen, and the amount of slushy snow that has fallen has turned the lots muddy," the statement said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09289...#ixzz0U8S0npIG

sjdrewk

Default Re: Snow curtails tailgating for tomorrow's Penn State game

It's going to be a traffic nightmare.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Makes for "fun" teasing of opposing fans....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's going to be a traffic nightmare.
    No, actually traffic was not a problem at all, because so few tailgaters could get to the stadium. But we were right there, across from the stadium and had a blast. Game was good too, until it was apparent that the Gophers were not going to be able to mount a drive. They did mount 1 near the end of the game, the only exciting part of the 2nd half, and PSU stopped them short of the goal on 4th down. It was cold and wet, but bareable. Was worth the trip to see my son work the game.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, actually traffic was not a problem at all, because so few tailgaters could get to the stadium. But we were right there, across from the stadium and had a blast. Game was good too, until it was apparent that the Gophers were not going to be able to mount a drive. They did mount 1 near the end of the game, the only exciting part of the 2nd half, and PSU stopped them short of the goal on 4th down. It was cold and wet, but bareable. Was worth the trip to see my son work the game.
    Great to hear that the traffic turned out to be of no consequence. I was right there with you watching it on tv, Bleed. I saw that one play where PSU, Stopped that 4th and goal. I am glad you're back and I am glad you had it seemed to be a great time. I saw some crazy students with no shirts on. Yikes! And they showed the Student section where no one was sitting. They made some jokes about it on the tv side and yucked it up a bit. Glad you brought back a victory!

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information