Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dotel

Threads : 36

Default Dotel

Do you guys want him? How much do you think he would cost? Is there a snowball's chance in hell he signs with the Bucs?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dotel

I'd take him.

There's NOBODY that I "want" from Free Agency.

He should demand $4-6 million, seeing what others have gotten.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell. (this is where PFIV comes in and goes all poser and complains about cheapness in The Bullish Hitter style )

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you guys want him? How much do you think he would cost? Is there a snowball's chance in hell he signs with the Bucs?
    yes

he made 6 mil last year....... so he's going to want a lot…. maybe not 6 mil but a lot

probably not but it depends if management will dust the cobwebs off their wallets

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    yes

he made 6 mil last year....... so he's going to want a lot…. maybe not 6 mil but a lot

[HIGH-LIGHT]probably not but it depends if management will dust the cobwebs off their wallets[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Threads : 21

I would sign him to a one year deal only, He has not closed since 07. He would be a rental that we move along with Duke,Aki at the deadline.

He could fill in the same role that Grabow did beeing the mentor to the kids.

Right now the only 2 teams who are shopping for a closer is Us and Marlins. We will not touch Valder and his 8 mill a year asking price.

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

Kipper is guarding their wallets for them

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Kipper is guarding their wallets for them
    If it meant paying Dotel $6 million... then you could call me the **** Crypt Keeper

If it meant paying Dotel $6 million... then you could call me the **** Crypt Keeper
    How much is he worth....How much would you be willing to pay for him?

Threads : 158

$5 million

How much is he worth....How much would you be willing to pay for him?
    How much he is worth changes from team to team based on need, budgets etc...

Dotel is worth "more" to a team that is on the fringe right now of being able to seriously compete for a division and wildcard. In that case... he's worth $6 million... perhaps even more depending on how big that hole is for a team that is on the cusp of truly making the playoffs.

The Pirates? Dotel is probably worth about what they offered Matt Capps. He's got less value at his age than what the Pirates will get for him. Sure they could splurge and pay him $6 million... doesn't mean it is good business decision making for the Pirates cause now they will become a team that takes on bigger money contracts. It hollars back to what Huntington said about the couple of kids they missed out in the draft cause they asked for ridiculous prices after finding out what ZVR and Cain were getting...

So no... Dotel isn't worth $6 million to the Pirates. Based on what he's worth in a WAR sense value wise in relation to salary, dotel is probably worth about $2.7-$3.4 million.

Like I've said PFIV... it all comes down to personal belief. You believe that if you have some extra change laying around, that it's fine to blow it. It won't be missed and if it makes your life better for 10 minutes, then it's money worth spending. Me... I believe in never making rash money decisions regardless of how much I have extra laying around. It won't alter my approach and thinking in regards to paying for something..

BP is a need because we have holes with nobody to fill. It's not IMO a need where throwing $6-12 million for a couple players is going to really result in more than a win or 2 above a guy making far less. Dotel himself is only worth about less than 1 win over a league average replacement player.

You call it cheap and I don't know if I agree with that at all. I mean, I spent 2-3 months looking for a washer and dryer and I NEEDED them cause my washer **** the bed and my dryer wasn't drying much of anything. We'd stop at the inlaws for a saturday and wash and dry clothes while I went out and checked out every frickin model, read every review, did all of my due dillgence and research until no more could be had.... then I settled on a nice deal. I didn't spend a couple grand on steam varieties. I could've, I had the money. I know you would, because you advocate Huntington to do the same. I got something that is probably just as good for half that price and still have some money left over for whatever... maybe pay down some debt

Threads : 122

You call it cheap and I don't know if I agree with that at all. I mean, I spent 2-3 months looking for a washer and dryer and I NEEDED them cause my washer **** the bed and my dryer wasn't drying much of anything. We'd stop at the inlaws for a saturday and wash and dry clothes while I went out and checked out every frickin model, read every review, did all of my due dillgence and research until no more could be had.... then I settled on a nice deal. I didn't spend a couple grand on steam varieties. I could've, I had the money. I know you would, because you advocate Huntington to do the same. I got something that is probably just as good for half that price and still have some money left over for whatever... maybe pay down some debt
    In other news......Kipper has been wearing mismatch socks, pink tshirts, and had to crash diet to lose 20 pounds because the washer and dryer set he picked up at the dents and dings appliance store eats his socks, and shrunk all his clothes......

Threads : 36

I would like him as well. I think he is worth about 5 mil. I would not have him close though, at least not exclusively. I think if he signed there would be 3 closer possibilities. I still feel that Aguero will be the closer in 2011. I would love for Dotel to be here for 2 years to help mentor Aguero.

How much he is worth changes from team to team based on need, budgets etc...

Dotel is worth "more" to a team that is on the fringe right now of being able to seriously compete for a division and wildcard. In that case... he's worth $6 million... perhaps even more depending on how big that hole is for a team that is on the cusp of truly making the playoffs.

The Pirates? Dotel is probably worth about what they offered Matt Capps. He's got less value at his age than what the Pirates will get for him. Sure they could splurge and pay him $6 million... doesn't mean it is good business decision making for the Pirates cause now they will become a team that takes on bigger money contracts. It hollars back to what Huntington said about the couple of kids they missed out in the draft cause they asked for ridiculous prices after finding out what ZVR and Cain were getting...

[HIGH-LIGHT]So no... Dotel isn't worth $6 million to the Pirates. Based on what he's worth in a WAR sense value wise in relation to salary, dotel is probably worth about $2.7-$3.4 million.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Like I've said PFIV... it all comes down to personal belief. You believe that if you have some extra change laying around, that it's fine to blow it. It won't be missed and if it makes your life better for 10 minutes, then it's money worth spending. Me... I believe in never making rash money decisions regardless of how much I have extra laying around. It won't alter my approach and thinking in regards to paying for something..

BP is a need because we have holes with nobody to fill. It's not IMO a need where throwing $6-12 million for a couple players is going to really result in more than a win or 2 above a guy making far less. Dotel himself is only worth about less than 1 win over a league average replacement player.

I would venture a guess that the clubs level of interest in Dotel matches yours so that means he isn't going to be a Pirate.....$2.7-$3.4 million for a reliever like Dotel is an insult to him in the current baseball climate. If the Pirates offer to Dotel is in the range you mentioned that should tell him and the baseball world that the Pirates really don’t have an interest, they are not being truthful and they are just looking to get something for nothing. Worth it or not Dotel will command much more than the Pirates are willing to pay.....so why are they wasting their time and his. I’m not auguring the merits, good or bad of acquiring Dotel but if the Pirates have a true interest in him they will have to step up to the plate…..and stop with the fantasy time internal value non sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    In other news......Kipper has been wearing mismatch socks, pink tshirts, and had to crash diet to lose 20 pounds because the washer and dryer set he picked up at the dents and dings appliance store eats his socks, and shrunk all his clothes......

I didn't go that route of thriftiness I "could've" to avoid going to the inlaws.... until I found something better and closer to what I wanted and it wouldn't have affected me one bit. Had the inlaws not been that close I'd have done it... Pretty much up the same alley as Neal Hungtington. Settle for **** until something you like that's worth it comes along that is wowrth throwing money at..

I would venture a guess that the clubs level of interest in Dotel matches yours so that means he isn't going to be a Pirate.....$2.7-$3.4 million for a reliever like Dotel is an insult to him in the current baseball climate.

He's a 36/37 year old pitcher coming off am "alright" year. He's not worth what he was getting when his contract/money was making up at least younger years and he was being paid based on what he was projected a few years ago.

I'm quite aware of what the current baseball climate is... and just because Mike Rizzo is a retard paying garbage like Jason Marquis a specific amount of giving a lard *** with no movement on his pitches a raise for terrible numbers DOESN'T mean you have to follow suit. If the player doesn't bite on an offer... oh well. Dotel would be nice... he wouldn't make that big of a difference on a team that needs a **** load more than Octavio Dotel to become good and "**** load more" needs to come from those on the roster.

If the Pirates offer to Dotel is in the range you mentioned that should tell him and the baseball world that the Pirates really don’t have an interest,

The Pirates aren't offering anything. you should know as well as me that Dotel's agent at most has told Huntington what range Dotel is looking at and that's all. Why the hell would Huntington low ball a free agent. I can understand doing it to your own player especially one that sucks... but come on man. This isn't even making logical sense. It's almost like you've lost your sense and your great posting ability as you've gotten caught up in becoming a "Whine about money, bullish hitter zombie/clone".

Worth it or not Dotel will command much more than the Pirates are willing to pay

I completely agree. There are plenty of teams out there in which Dotel is of a lot more importance to them and worth what Dotel is likely asking. He could be a difference maker on a team that's in serious competition. A difference maker he won't be with the Pirates barring a fluke or miracle season

.....so why are they wasting their time and his. I’m not auguring the merits, good or bad of acquiring Dotel but if the Pirates have a true interest in him they will have to step up to the plate…..and stop with the fantasy time internal value non sense.

Why is it "assumed" that "interest" is equal to "offering a contract"? For all we know "interest" was basically nothing more than Neal Huntington calling Dotel's agent and inquiring about what the asking price is... that is it.... You're "complaining" about the Pirates doing something that they probably haven't done and you should know this.. It's like you are looking for something to complain about even if you're making it up yourself...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information