Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lolley: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Thursday, January 07, 2010
    Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky are gone.

Quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson has retired.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is staying, apparently at the behest of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

What does it mean?

For one, it means that head coach Mike Tomlin was very serious when he said he's out to change the fact that Roethlisberger has been the most sacked quarterback in the league over the past four seasons.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Was that all Zierlein's fault? Nope. Roethlisberger was sacked 40-plus times in 2006 when Russ Grimm was still the offensive line coach in Pittsburgh and Ken Whisenhunt was the offensive coordinator.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

But the team learned to live with Roethlisberger taking some of those sacks by holding the ball because him holding the ball also turned into some big plays for the offense.

While Arians will be back, some of the things the team does offensively will change. [HIGH-LIGHT]He and whoever the new QB coach is will work with Roethlisberger on getting rid of the ball more quickly - ie. reading defenses better - with the idea that they can prolong his career.

Roethlisberger has bucked that in the past because the coaching staff has been willing to live with the bad plays because the big plays were so great.[/HIGH-LIGHT] But with the team's third-down conversion rate plunging this season to the bottom of the league and a defense that wasn't as dominant, the Steelers couldn't fight through the bad sacks this season. They just couldn't afford to lose that kind of field position.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Roethlisberger going to bat for Arians and getting his way is a bad sign for this team, however, in that it gives the QB the idea that he's in charge of this ship.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Should Roethlisberger have some say in the matter? Sure. But Tomlin had better have told him that if Arians stays, Roethlisberger had better spend the necessary time in the offseason working on getting rid of the ball more quickly.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Lolley: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Not a good thing that Ben gets to influence decisions. Wasn't it Ben that partially got Whiz out of town? Ben needs to have someone come in here as the OC that can expand Ben's knowledge and push Ben to get better thourgh new ideas and philosophies ...Arians is not capable of doing this.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roethlisberger going to bat for Arians and getting his way is a bad sign for this team, however, in that it gives the QB the idea that he's in charge of this ship.

Agreed, and I'm still a big fan of Big Ben. I just want him to improve his game and better protect his health. I know both are very possible but I don't know how likely.

Personally, I don't know... I have complained plenty in past weeks about all this stuff of "inmates running the assylum"... I really disagree with Lolley in the fact that regardless how good a player is, he shouldn't be part of the decision-making process. He is a player, and should follow directions, not dictate them IMO... Maybe I'm too "old school" with this, but could you imagine Bradshaw or Swann going into Rooney's office and pulling this stuff?

The part about him getting rid of the ball quicker and reading defenses better is also part of his responsibility as a player... I love the guy. Hell, I got his mug shot as my avatar... But he needs to put in the work to improve on his weak areas. If he has "bucked" this in the past, then shame on him.

Both Tomlin and the team's ownership are taking a big risk by appeasing a player IMO, and it's gonna be Ben's responsibility to make sure that it works.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roethlisberger going to bat for Arians and getting his way is a bad sign for this team, however, in that it gives the QB the idea that he's in charge of this ship.

Agreed, and I'm still a big fan of Big Ben. I just want him to improve his game and better protect his health. I know both are very possible but I don't know how likely.
    Same here. I love Ben to death, even when he holds onto the ball too long because he is great at creating plays on the fly. But he won't be able to do this forever. I want him to have a guy, perhaps the o/c or the qb coach to be able to broaden his skill set so he doesn't have to rely strictly on his physical attributes-Arians does not provide this for Ben. Now that Airans is staying, we can only hope they bing in a qb coach that can push him to improve his d reading skills and shows him new things that Ben doesn't know.

Threads : 48

A player(mostly a QB) in today's NFL always has some influence offensive decisions.If you don't believe that,then I have you look at N.E. and Indy as examples.

Threads : 691

This complaint never ceseases to amaze me. In the N.F.L all men are not created equal. If you pay a guy 102 million to be the leader and face of your franchise,he's going to have alot of influence. It happens with alot of teams. You think Caldwell would have gotten the Colt job if Manning was against it? Do you think New England would have brought in Moss a few years ago if Brady didn't sign off on it? This isn't always good,,but alot of times this is what comes with a franchise Q.B.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 60

What have we learned?

Ben knows....no matter how bad I play, no matter how bad we are in the redzone, no matter how bad we are at converting 3rd downs, no matter how many times I get sacked, no matter how long I hold onto the ball it doesn't matter. I will happily walk into whomever's office and demand that Arians stays because I like him. WTF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This complaint never ceseases to amaze me. In the N.F.L all men are not created equal. If you pay a guy 102 million to be the leader and face of your franchise,he's going to have alot of influence. It happens with alot of teams. You think Caldwell would have gotten the Colt job if Manning was against it? Do you think New England would have brought in Moss a few years ago if Brady didn't sign off on it? This isn't always good,,but alot of times this is what comes with a franchise Q.B.
    Didn't you post this in another thread??

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    A player(mostly a QB) in today's NFL always has some influence offensive decisions.If you don't believe that,then I have you look at N.E. and Indy as examples.
    Indy put up 48 more points than us this season, the Patriots 59 more points.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I hear 'ya.... I just don't think it's "right"....
    (not your opinion, but the fact that he has influence...)

If Lolley's statements were accurate, then Ben has alot of work to do this off-season IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Indy put up 48 more points than us this season, the Patriots 59 more points.
    And??I'm talking about the QB having an input in decisions.Brady and Manning do the same thing as Ben.See a coincidence here.They ALL have SB rings.

Threads : 691

Didn't you post this in another thread??
    Yes i did. I thought it was so good the first time I had to post it again.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I hear 'ya.... I just don't think it's "right"....
    (not your opinion, but the fact that he has influence...)

If Lolley's statements were accurate, then Ben has alot of work to do this off-season IMO...
    .....and one thing I want him to do is improve his PT.

Threads : 122

And??I'm talking about the QB having an input in decisions.Brady and Manning do the same thing as Ben.See a coincidence here.They ALL have SB rings.
    I like Ben. Really do. But he doesn't command his offense like Brady & Manning do. I would take Ben over those two in a two minute offense, other than that, they are far ahead of Ben in running a stable and consistent offense.

I would take Ben in a turkey bowl though where plays are drawn up in the dirt and improvised as they go.

Not saying Ben shouldn't have input. Just that he isn't on the same level of an offensive mind as Brady or Manning. They know exactly where their WR are on every play. Ben doesn't.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information