Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NH won't promise Ankiel starting job

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NH won't promise Ankiel starting job

An article this morning in the Post Gazzette states that talks with Ankiel and his agent have come to a standstill and maybe even regressed a bit because NH won't give him the starting job in right field.If he really wants this guy and given the fact that right field is a position they really need to fill ... is this the way to go about it? Ankiel is a very good defensive outfielder.. far better than any options we have in house. Signing him would move Jones back to 1B , which I think would benefit the team also. I am intrigued by Jeff Clement's bat , but his glove needs a lot to be desired. If Ankiel was handed the starting job and returns to his 2008 form ,he could be traded for a boatload at the deadline if Tabata is the guy they eventually want there. I have agreed with most of the trades and signings that NH has made so far , but I don't think I agree with his stance on this matter.
    "Never interrupt the enemy when he's making a mistake" Napoleon Bonaparte

Threads : 413

Default Re: NH won't promise Ankiel starting job

Well the Royals signed Scott Podsednik and may not be interested at all now. Seems like the Pirates were the only other team showing any interest, so NH may be in the driver's seat now. Personally, I don't care if they sign him or not. Think I'd rather see the development of our own youngsters.

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the Royals signed Scott Podsednik and may not be interested at all now. Seems like the Pirates were the only other team showing any interest, so NH may be in the driver's seat now. Personally, I don't care if they sign him or not. [HIGH-LIGHT]Think I'd rather see the development of our own youngsters.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Agree...

Threads : 5

Good move by Huntington. I'd rather see Ankiel earn the RF spot. More-than-likely he'd win the spot, but I'd like to see competition at all positions. Then Jones and Clement can battle for 1B. I like having Jones as both a RF and 1B so it keeps people fresh. Eventually if Tabata moves up, Jones has enough experience to take over 1B full time.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im with Ex and PFIV... I don't really see why the hell we'd go after Ankiel unless it were a refurbishing project in which case... Ankiel is your starter... Doesn't sound like that is the case, so I really see no benefit or use for Ankiel at all to this team

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman77 View Post
    Ankiel is a very good defensive outfielder.. far better than any options we have in house.
    Based on what? The PG article calls Ankiel "a superb defender", but there's really nothing that will back that up. He has about 700 innings (small sample) as a corner OF that say he's decent, but not better than Brandon Moss. Both UZR and +/- agree that he's pretty awful in CF. Guy's made a few highlight reel plays, but he doesn't seem like a particularly good defender based on anything I've seen.

CHONE projects him as a 1.1 WAR player, which is exactly how they project Brandon Moss. He was a 0.1 WAR player in 2009, which is also exactly the same as Brandon Moss. Even Ankiel's good year in 2008 was only a 2.0 WAR season. It's not like he's some superstar that should demand a starting position with any team. I doubt anyone else is offering him one.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Based on what? The PG article calls Ankiel "a superb defender", but there's really nothing that will back that up. He has about 700 innings (small sample) as a corner OF that say he's decent, but not better than Brandon Moss. Both UZR and +/- agree that he's pretty awful in CF. Guy's made a few highlight reel plays, but he doesn't seem like a particularly good defender based on anything I've seen.

CHONE projects him as a 1.1 WAR player, which is exactly how they project Brandon Moss. He was a 0.1 WAR player in 2009, which is also exactly the same as Brandon Moss. Even Ankiel's good year in 2008 was only a 2.0 WAR season. It's not like he's some superstar that should demand a starting position with any team. I doubt anyone else is offering him one.

If you were building a team from scratch and Brandon Moss and Rick Ankiel were your two choices for Right field ... Who would you choose??? Enough said.

Threads : 45

I'm convinced that if Boras' client was dead, he'd still claim a dozen or so teams were interested. That **** only flies when a) you truly have leverage, which he don't or b) some gm's are dumb enough to believe anything.

Threads : 197

If you were building a team from scratch and Brandon Moss and Rick Ankiel were your two choices for Right field ... Who would you choose??? Enough said.
    You didn't really argue that Ankiel was a better option overall, you argued that he was a better defender. I'm not really seeing anything. Even his fielding percentages have been pretty bad for an outfielder.

For the record Moss had about an equal offensive season to Ankiel in 2009. OPS+ Moss 78 Ankiel 76 wRC+ Moss 74 Ankiel 75. Either way you're arguing in favor of a guy who is well below average offensively for a corner OF.

Threads : 158

How is that enough said? If I had to choose between those two I may just leave RF open. McCutcheon can cover both.

Threads : 36

Ankiel sucks. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    Ankiel sucks. Enough said.
    Wow ,did I get my *** kicked on this thread or what? I see there aren't many Ankiel fans that visit this site.....I was merely suggesting that I thought that Ankiel would be a better in right than Moss... and if he would return to his 2008 form at the plate ,he would be a very good addition to this team. Let the bashing begin

Threads : 45

Ankiel has as good a chance returning to his 2008 numbers, which, without looking up the data, aren't exactly consistent to his career stats. I'm not too high on Ankiel and I do think Moss is just as good as Ankiel, which isn't saying much. The only advantage Ankiel has is name recognition. I would rather play Moss everyday then sign Ankiel at any price.

Threads : 1817

Wow ,did I get my *** kicked on this thread or what? I see there aren't many Ankiel fans that visit this site.....I was merely suggesting that I thought that Ankiel would be a better in right than Moss... and if he would return to his 2008 form at the plate ,he would be a very good addition to this team. Let the bashing begin
    Ankiel most likely wouldn't make an ounce of difference on this team if signed. If he signs, he'd be a bench player in which case unless someone flops badly for the Pirates, Ankiel will be riding the pine.

Moss is far superior defensively in RF, at this part in their careers it's debatable whether Ankiel is really even better offensively. Ankiel in general is a below average hitter just like Moss. Ina bench role who knows if Ankiel's power will make enough difference. I think the bottom line for most people is... Ankiel is far from being a difference maker and that enough people can debate whether Ankiel is an upgrade over Moss to begin with is enough to really question any sort of advantage to signing Ankiel. In the end, the best possible result is that there's not a difference with the 2 so why even clog up a roster spot with Rick Ankiel?

Threads : 158

Ditto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information