Thread: Donnie Veal Stuff

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Donnie Veal Stuff

It's a couple days old but I've been too busy and forgot to post some of this stuff...

I guess Veal is looking awfully good. He's hitting the strike zone and hitting 95-96 on the radar gun. that's badass for a left hander. Super rare. If Veal puts it all together this is going to make NH look **** good. Have to say, NH hasn't done too bad in his Rule V pick ups with Veal and Meek.

This is from the AFL on the 14th...

#Pirates LHP Donald Veal retired all six batters he faced in #AFL, including 3 Ks while getting up to 95 mph. 18 pitches, 14 strikes
    From Jonathan Mayo

Donnie Veal, LHP, Scottsdale (Pirates): The Pirates' lefty, a Rule 5 pick a year ago, has often had command problems throughout his career, though the stuff has always been there. That's why the Buccos held onto him all year. Well, he couldn't have been much better than he was in his AFL debut. Veal was perfect through two innings, striking out three. He threw 18 pitches, 14 for strikes. Thanks to the pitch f/x on Gameday (for all games held in Peoria and Surprise), we know his 4-seam fastball was in the 93-95 mph range and his curve was 79-81 mph. Two of his strikeouts came on swings and misses at that curve and he froze Jason Heyward with a fastball after two straight curves. Nice work by Veal... I wonder if he'll be working on the changeup at all as the fall unfolds. The icing on the cake is that our blogger, Mr. Edlefsen, got the win when the Scorpions scored twice in the 10th inning after he tossed a scoreless ninth.
    http://minors.mlblogs.com/archives/2..._daynew_b.html

----

If he's hitting 93-95 consistently and is taking that much speed off with a curve ball while maintaining a release similar to his fastball, that's just plain nasty. If he develops a changeup with the same release as his fastball...as a lefty, he's going to be **** tough
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 691

Default Re: Donnie Veal Stuff

I'm glad his rule V service is over and he can get some regular work in the minors next season.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm glad his rule V service is over and he can get some regular work in the minors next season.
    Definitely. Looks like it was a wise move to hold onto Veal however they could. I didn't know of their plans to have him become a starter until later in the year. A power lefty with nasty stuff in the rotation is something we've been lacking since Ollie went ape **** on the water cooler
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

Veal's curveball is legitimately an unhittable pitch. Go back and look at the two innings he threw against the Dodgers and the two he threw in the AFL. I think his curve got touched one time for a foul ball by Andre Ethier. It's one of those pitches guys take in the strike zone and swing at out of the zone. His future all comes down to his fastball command.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Veal's curveball is legitimately an unhittable pitch. Go back and look at the two innings he threw against the Dodgers and the two he threw in the AFL. I think his curve got touched one time for a foul ball by Andre Ethier. It's one of those pitches guys take in the strike zone and swing at out of the zone. His future all comes down to his fastball command.
    Definitely. that fastball command is what is going to make that curveball tough to hit, but you know Starks and NH are going to make him develop a changeup. If that changeup becomes at least average. Veal has the stuff to really fool a lot of guys. It all comes back to control which is most likely some mechanical tinkering to gain consistency in his windup and delivery. Much like what they've done with Ohlendorf and are working with Morton on

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Definitely...and them attempting to make him into a starter could actually help with his further development. First he can stretch his arm out and be able to go more innings as a reliever in the future...but it also should help with his command in the sense that if he's shaky early on and can settle down he has that opportunity in starting where he wouldn't in relief appearance.

I think both Veal and Meek were very strong picks. If Veal can get the command figured out finally and continue to progress he'll be pretty darn good...and I think Meek has a bright future as well--possibly as the teams closer if we get rid of Capps (prays!!!).

Also...Veal striking out Heyward is nice...Heyward is a TOP NOTCH prospect...so its good to see him face some good competition and fare well.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information