Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete Carroll resigns

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pete Carroll resigns

ESPN.com news services

Pete Carroll has resigned as the football coach of the USC Trojans, the Los Angeles Daily News reported Sunday.

Carroll has reached an agreement in principle with the Seattle Seahawks on a deal to be their next head coach, multiple NFL sources confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter early Saturday morning.

Seahawks chief executive officer Tod Leiweke was in Los Angeles on Sunday to finalize the deal, the Los Angeles Times reported. A Seahawks spokesman declined comment to The Associated Press when asked about a Los Angeles Daily News report that Carroll had resigned.

NFC West blog
    ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

The newspaper also reported that USC players received text messages that Carroll would resign. A USC spokesperson told ESPN.com on Sunday night that the school had nothing official to announce.

Sources say, however, that Carroll has already started to form the staff he will work with in Seattle.

The Chicago Bears have been informed that Jeremy Bates, who was scheduled to interview for their offensive coordinator's job, has decided to accept the same job with Carroll and the Seahawks, two sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen on Sunday night.

A source said Bates was tempted to be reunited with Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, but the long-term security with Carroll was a major factor in his decision to join the Seahawks rather than the Bears. Bates was Cutler's offensive coordinator with the Broncos in 2008.

The Bears' options for the position now include Mike Martz, Jedd Fisch and Bill Musgrave, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

A source close to USC linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. confirmed to ESPN's Shelley Smith that Carroll will be taking Norton to Seattle to fill the same role with the Seahawks.

Norton recruited Lakewood High quarterback Jesse Scroggins, who has already committed to USC but is said to be waiting to see what happens with Carroll.

Current Trojans said they had not heard the decision yet from Carroll, but heard about the Daily News report.

"Wow. Well, I'm not surprised," junior running back Marc Tyler said to ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne. "I think by now most guys wanted it to hurry up and happen so we can see who is going to coach us next."

Sophomore defensive end Malik Jackson said while he was a little surprised, he understands why Carroll is leaving.

"Wow, I can't believe we're one of those teams looking for a new coach," Jackson told Shelburne. "I'd heard about it all weekend, but I'm still kind of surprised.

"I don't blame him though. We all have to make decisions in our lives. If I could've said something that'd make him come back, I would've. But I'm not mad at him. He has to do what he thinks is best for himself. Everybody does."

Cross Oregon State's Mike Riley off the list of possible successors to Carroll.

Oregon State athletic director Bob De Carolis announced late Sunday night that the school had signed Riley to a three-year extension through at least 2019.

Riley, a finalist for the Trojans job in 2000 and still thought highly of by USC's administration, had become an immediate frontrunner to succeed Carroll.

Instead, Riley will stay in his hometown.

"Due to the fact there is a lot of speculation on my future, I want to make it known that I'm very excited to be coaching at Oregon State University and I anticipate doing so for a long time," Riley said in a statement released by the school.

Sources close to Riley said he was intrigued by the USC job, but loved coaching in Corvallis and the idea that he could finish his career there.

Carroll is no stranger to the NFL, having served as the head coach for the Patriots from 1997 to 1999 and for the Jets in 1994.

He was the Jets' defensive coordinator from 1990 to 1993 after stints as the defensive backs coach for the Vikings (1985-89) and Bills (1984).

The opportunity is unique for Carroll. The Seahawks do not have a GM in place, so he could have authority over football matters like he had at USC, and far more than he would have had filling any of the NFL coaching openings to which he's been connected in recent winters.

And this was perhaps the best time to leave USC since he arrived in 2001.

USC's string of seven consecutive Pac-10 titles ended with four losses in the just-completed season. And the school has been under several years of NCAA scrutiny for alleged improprieties in both Carroll's team and athletic director Mike Garrett's beleaguered department.

When receiver Damian Williams announced he's entering the NFL a year early, the news release of his departure Friday night didn't include a quote from Carroll, who often lavishes praise on his early entry candidates. His silence on Williams was good news for the Seahawks, who could use some.

University of Washington coach Steve Sarkisian, who left his friend Carroll and the Trojans 12 months ago for his first head coaching job, chuckled when asked if he'd like to be a head man in the same city as his mentor.

"That would be kind of fun," Sarkisian said. "He's a great coach."

Carroll had already planned a team meeting for Monday afternoon, on the day the Trojans return to class following Christmas break. Tessalone said that meeting is still on.

Information from ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pete Carroll resigns

Well, let the "Carroll bashing" begin, folks....

He's quite a polarizing individual. You either love 'em or hate 'em... Personally, I thought he was a great fit for my USC Trojans, and did a helluva job over the years he was there... Say what you want, but he turned that program around.

He's gonna have a much tougher road in his return to the NFL. Players on that level don't need or want the "rah, rah" attitude IMO.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

Wonder who replaces him?
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder who replaces him?
    Initially I thought it would be the guy from Oregon State, but that's not gonna happen now... Should be interesting. They are gonna have to move rather quickly so as not to waste the complete recruiting class. I'm sure a few kids will change their minds now.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was one of those who has always liked him. I hope he kicks *** in the pros but **** i hate seattle. You'[re right however, people either love him or hate him. All the great ones are like that.

Put me on the "love him" team.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

This morning on the Dan Patrick show, they mentioned both Jeff Fischer and Jack Del Rio, due to their ties with USC... But Fischer would be walking away from about $16 mil remaining from his current deal... Del Rio is supposed to be "discussing his future" today with the owner of the Jags.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So much for the rematch between Carroll and Jim Harbaugh.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

He's gonna have a much tougher road in his return to the NFL. Players on that level don't need or want the "rah, rah" attitude IMO.
    Please explain that to the people here that want Bill Cowher back.

Threads : 206

Wonder who replaces him?
    Is John Robinson still around?

Looks like Del Rio's the guy on their radar.

Looks like Del Rio's the guy on their radar.
    I guess I honestly wouldn't be disappointed with that decision.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would. I never have thought much of Del Rio. As a player, he was great. As a coach, so so imo.

I'm thinking if i was looking for a coach i'd get somebody along the lines of Stoops lineage or Sarkesian.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

I'm gonna sorta question anyone that comes in... The program sucked so bad before Carroll got there, and I shudder to think about it returning to such.

I'm really not a Stoops fan in any regard, but Sarkesian impresses me a great deal.

... But again, they gotta move quickly... Next weekend is supposedly one of the biggest recruiting weekends, and it's only 3 weeks or so till national signing day.

Now it's being reported that Del Rio is staying at Jacksonville.

Threads : 48

I hear Todd Marinovich is looking for work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information