Thread: Piitsburgh Pirates: 2012 Division Champs?

Threads : 31

Default Piitsburgh Pirates: 2012 Division Champs?

http://networkedblogs.com/p23803642

I don't know how much credibility this blogger has..probably none but I do agree with his timeline regarding the Buccos. He also takes a look at the other division teams and where they will be in 2012 with regard to payroll for their current stars. And guys like Pujols could be leaving via free agency by then.

Granted the Buccos lack of a pitching ace or potential ace is a stumbling block and the other teams don't live in a vacuum so they will be improved in many ways by then either via free agency or prospects. But I do like where the PBC will be positioned to make a run.

Threads : 94

Default Re: Piitsburgh Pirates: 2012 Division Champs?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I don't know how much credibility this blogger has..probably none but I do agree with his timeline regarding the Buccos. He also takes a look at the other division teams and where they will be in 2012 with regard to payroll for their current stars. And guys like Pujols could be leaving via free agency by then.

Granted the Buccos lack of a pitching ace or potential ace is a stumbling block and the other teams don't live in a vacuum so they will be improved in many ways by then either via free agency or prospects. But I do like where the PBC will be positioned to make a run.

Nice thought but way too much can happen between now and then.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tim is a really good mind. Extremely knowledgeable person as well. If you get the chance, read through more his blogs if you haven't. He does a great job with research and and effort. I think he's got a background as a writer too so his blogs come off as well written too.

This Blog is no different. I mean, it's a prediction and anything can change by then. Any of these teams could make a big FA signing or a couple of big trades etc... I mean, you don't know. If you look at what Tim wrote without those things you can't control... then yeah, the division does seem set up nicely for the Pirates and Reds.. Almost goes back to the early 90's and 70's in way...

The only thing that Tim didn't do and I'm surprised he didn't... is that while he talked about this team or that team losing this player or that player... he never talked much about any of their minor league systems and players that could come in as replacements. He really only talked about a couple of Reds prospects and that is pretty much it. the importance of this is say a team can't finanically keep a player... they can trade him, get some prospects BUT if they have player sitting in AAA ready for a promotion... there might not be a big loss..

I don't know how the minors are for teams in our division. Off the top of my head from what I can remember (and PFIV and Jnn likely have a better idea of this)... I wanna say that the Reds do indeed have a pretty rich minor league system with impact talent... I wanna say that the cubs don't have much of anything (not like it matters with them), the Brewers are a little thinner than they probably would like to be and the cards are pretty bare since their drafts are generally all quantity and slot or below... just my guesses. the Cards thing might be me remembering either their 03 or 04 draft where they signed like all 50 o0r something ridiculous and got nothing out of it I swear they signed like 490 this year, same with the Astros but spent less than the Pirates

The lack of strong starting pitching could be the very thing that separates us from a team like the Reds who are a young team rebuilding as well. The Reds have a far stronger front end of the starting rotation. I'm not even sure if by 2012 we will have a SP that could break their top 2 SP's. If Chapman comes near his potential, that is a ridiculously strong 3 in a starting rotation (Cueto, Chapman, Volquez) It's not like the Reds won't have offensive talent either. Bruce and Votto are their power and both are 22 and 25 years old. Unlike Bruce, Votto can also hit... Alonso can hit.

The lack of strong starting pitching could be the very thing that separates us from a team like the Reds who are a young team rebuilding as well. The Reds have a far stronger front end of the starting rotation. I'm not even sure if by 2012 we will have a SP that could break their top 2 SP's. If Chapman comes near his potential, that is a ridiculously strong 3 in a starting rotation (Cueto, Chapman, Volquez) It's not like the Reds won't have offensive talent either. Bruce and Votto are their power and both are 22 and 25 years old. Unlike Bruce, Votto can also hit... Alonso can hit.

Threads : 45

The nice thing about the Reds, they have dusty to completely run those pitchers in the ground. Volquez missed pretty much all this year and Cueto has been hurt at times as well. Dusty will ruin them the same way he ruined Wood and Prior.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    The nice thing about the Reds, they have dusty to completely run those pitchers in the ground. Volquez missed pretty much all this year and Cueto has been hurt at times as well. Dusty will ruin them the same way he ruined Wood and Prior.
    Very true. Hopefully Dusty's contract gets renewed so he can ruin Chapman's arm as well

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information