Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

      
  1. #1
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Status : Jeremy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Oct 30, 2009
    Posts : 228
    Threads : 5
    Last Online : May-10-2011 @ 03:00 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Not so much as it turns out. In 3 of the 4 games this weekend, the team that rushed for more yards won the game. In the 4th game, Cincy and NY had the same amount of rushing yards.

    NY - 171
    Cincy - 171

    Dallas - 198
    Philly - 56

    Baltimore - 234
    New England - 64

    Arizona - 156
    Green Bay - 90

    Now I'm perfectly willing to admit that this was only four games on one weekend and things could change next weekend. But for one glorious weekend in January, power running ruled the day.
    Hidden Content

    Who needs the USC song girls?

  2. #2
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Power running? The ONLY team that power ran was the Jets. The Ravens just ran the ball a ****ing ton and that was because they could due to the turnovers by the Patriots. They had no need to throw the ball.

    The Cardinals ran the ball 23 times. That's not power running. The Steelers averaged more per game than that (26.8 rush attempts per game). They threw the ball 33 times. Power running isn't running that much less than the passing game. That's what? 41% running?

    the Packers ran the ball 20 times. That's not power running. They threw it 42 times. That's around 30% run plays

    The Cowboys and ran and passed the ball 35 times. That's 50%. If your QB is throwing more than 30 times, you aren't a power running team, you are a balanced team. How about this... the Cowgirls ran for 198 yards net... eliminate the 73 yard run by Felix Jones (not power running) and you have a team that for the rest of the game ran the ball 34 times for 125 yards and a terrible 3.6 YPC. That might be your idea of an offense. Sure as **** isn't mine. I'll take Felix Jones' big TD run and you can have a 3.6 YPC run game (which is worse than the Steelers this 4.2 YPC this season)

    The Jets and Bengals.... are you serious? Have you seen either teams passing game? They don't have QB's that are very accurate or good, they lack talent in their wide outs, both lines are built with a strong emphasis on the run. Both teams are BUILT for the strength to be the run game. If that run game gets shut down, either team would be royally ****ed because they can't throw worth a **** if it were to be dependent upon. Even the Bengals, they only ran the ball 22 times which isn't power running. The Jets ran it 42 times as they should've. The last person they want handling the ball is Mark Sanchez

    The Baltimore Ravens. They didn't win because of their power run game, they won because their defense created turnovers and short fields for a ****ty offense that could only complete 4 passes. They won because offensively they got a big play. Just like the Dallas game.... take away Ray Rice's long run and the rest of the game, the Ravens ran the ball a ridiculous 51 times for just 151 yards which is a really dreadful 2.9 YPC. That might give you a woody. I'd be either wanting a new QB or a new OC cause either or both is the reason that we are forced to have that much with no success.

    If "power running" equates to 2.9 YPC and 3.6 YPC.... I don't want it (not that I did in the first place). I'll take both Ray Rice and Felix Jones breaking long *** runs for TD's and then let my accurate QB and talented WR's and TE work the passing game for 55-60% rest of the time. The Jets were the only team that had a power run game that was effective. No big runs, 4.2 YPC... That's efficiency. The Ravens and Cowboys run games... not efficient. 1 big play from each and then run games that couldn't move the ball

  3. #3
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Status : Jeremy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Oct 30, 2009
    Posts : 228
    Threads : 5
    Last Online : May-10-2011 @ 03:00 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Power running? The ONLY team that power ran was the Jets. The Ravens just ran the ball a ****ing ton and that was because they could due to the turnovers by the Patriots. They had no need to throw the ball.

    The Cardinals ran the ball 23 times. That's not power running. The Steelers averaged more per game than that (26.8 rush attempts per game). They threw the ball 33 times. Power running isn't running that much less than the passing game. That's what? 41% running?

    the Packers ran the ball 20 times. That's not power running. They threw it 42 times. That's around 30% run plays

    The Cowboys and ran and passed the ball 35 times. That's 50%. If your QB is throwing more than 30 times, you aren't a power running team, you are a balanced team. How about this... the Cowgirls ran for 198 yards net... eliminate the 73 yard run by Felix Jones (not power running) and you have a team that for the rest of the game ran the ball 34 times for 125 yards and a terrible 3.6 YPC. That might be your idea of an offense. Sure as **** isn't mine. I'll take Felix Jones' big TD run and you can have a 3.6 YPC run game (which is worse than the Steelers this 4.2 YPC this season)

    The Jets and Bengals.... are you serious? Have you seen either teams passing game? They don't have QB's that are very accurate or good, they lack talent in their wide outs, both lines are built with a strong emphasis on the run. Both teams are BUILT for the strength to be the run game. If that run game gets shut down, either team would be royally ****ed because they can't throw worth a **** if it were to be dependent upon. Even the Bengals, they only ran the ball 22 times which isn't power running. The Jets ran it 42 times as they should've. The last person they want handling the ball is Mark Sanchez

    The Baltimore Ravens. They didn't win because of their power run game, they won because their defense created turnovers and short fields for a ****ty offense that could only complete 4 passes. They won because offensively they got a big play. Just like the Dallas game.... take away Ray Rice's long run and the rest of the game, the Ravens ran the ball a ridiculous 51 times for just 151 yards which is a really dreadful 2.9 YPC. That might give you a woody. I'd be either wanting a new QB or a new OC cause either or both is the reason that we are forced to have that much with no success.

    If "power running" equates to 2.9 YPC and 3.6 YPC.... I don't want it (not that I did in the first place). I'll take both Ray Rice and Felix Jones breaking long *** runs for TD's and then let my accurate QB and talented WR's and TE work the passing game for 55-60% rest of the time. The Jets were the only team that had a power run game that was effective. No big runs, 4.2 YPC... That's efficiency. The Ravens and Cowboys run games... not efficient. 1 big play from each and then run games that couldn't move the ball
    Calm down there Turbo. Fact is 3 of the 4 winning teams outrushed the other team. But hey, keep banging that drum for Ben to throw the ball 60 times a game. If he does that, we'll be able to have a lot more of these conversations because Pittsburgh will be spending a lot of postseasons watching from home.
    Hidden Content

    Who needs the USC song girls?

  4. #4
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calm down there Turbo. Fact is 3 of the 4 winning teams outrushed the other team. But hey, keep banging that drum for Ben to throw the ball 60 times a game. If he does that, we'll be able to have a lot more of these conversations because Pittsburgh will be spending a lot of postseasons watching from home.
    Who cares who outrushed who. If that's your argument for defending your stance on wanting a power run game to come back and kill our chances of winning another Super Bowl, then you better come up with something a little me convincing. That was an awful attempt.

    You should probably get your facts straight as well about anyone wanting Ben to throw the ball 60 times a game. You sound like a cry baby that lost an argument, throwing out that garbage that you know **** well is false and a lie.

    So here, Jermey. I'll give you another try, cause I'm a nice guy. Maybe you can put forth a better argument than "3 teams outrushed 4" the Steelers need to return to the Bettis power run days because of this. Anyone who thinks different wants Ben to throw 60 times a game

  5. #5
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Had to look real quickly...

    but I'm not even sure what Jeremy is *****ing about. Last post season, the steelers out rushed 2 of their 3 opponents. 1 of them by a wide margin and the one we were outrushed by was by like 10-15 yards....

    If requirement is to outrush the opponent in post season play, then Steelers were fine at this and no *****ing should be required or ridiculous threads like this made

  6. #6
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Status : Jeremy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Oct 30, 2009
    Posts : 228
    Threads : 5
    Last Online : May-10-2011 @ 03:00 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who cares who outrushed who. If that's your argument for defending your stance on wanting a power run game to come back and kill our chances of winning another Super Bowl, then you better come up with something a little me convincing. That was an awful attempt.

    You should probably get your facts straight as well about anyone wanting Ben to throw the ball 60 times a game. You sound like a cry baby that lost an argument, throwing out that garbage that you know **** well is false and a lie.

    So here, Jermey. I'll give you another try, cause I'm a nice guy. Maybe you can put forth a better argument than "3 teams outrushed 4" the Steelers need to return to the Bettis power run days because of this. Anyone who thinks different wants Ben to throw 60 times a game
    Your whole problem is you pitch a fit when anyone questions Saint Ben and Saint Bruce. I've aleardy said Pittsburgh isn't going back to power running because we have a prima dona QB, a horrible offensive line, and a gutless head coach. So we're stuck with this spread wannabe offense. But whenever anyone suggests that we could be better at running the football, you automatically think we want to go back to Bettis. What did Jerome do to you anyway Kipper? Did he feel up your girlfriend at the Clark Bar? Jesus.

    Pittburgh's redzone offense was 21st in the league. Anyone who thinks that's good enough to win a Super Bowl is a ****ing moron who needs to stop watching football and watch something simpler like hackysack. Arians blows as an offensive coordinator. He's let Ben co-opt this offense so it resembles some Brett Favre Green Bay era BS where he just slings the ball all over the yard with no plan and no prayer in the red zone.

    If you can't see that Kipper, then I don't know what to say to you.
    Hidden Content

    Who needs the USC song girls?

  7. #7
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your whole problem is you pitch a fit when anyone questions Saint Ben and Saint Bruce.
    .... Thanx for the good laugh this morning....

    Putting "Saint" and "Bruce" into the same sentance when describing Kipper's opinions is really funny... You obviously haven't read enough of his comments to get an accurate feel for them...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  8. #8
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Status : Jeremy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Oct 30, 2009
    Posts : 228
    Threads : 5
    Last Online : May-10-2011 @ 03:00 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .... Thanx for the good laugh this morning....

    Putting "Saint" and "Bruce" into the same sentance when describing Kipper's opinions is really funny... You obviously haven't read enough of his comments to get an accurate feel for them...
    What's to read? As soon as anyone questions the offense he rolls around the floor screaming like a 7 year old who's been told they can't have candy at the grocery store.

    He's the reason I wish we had an ignore button.
    Hidden Content

    Who needs the USC song girls?

  9. #9
    JonnyBoy's Avatar
    Status : JonnyBoy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Posts : 42
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Jan-17-2010 @ 12:08 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    If Grimm were the HC like he ought to be, then we'd easily have racked up 225 yards rushing in that game.

  10. #10
    buccoray61's Avatar
    Status : buccoray61 is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Posts : 3,885
    Threads : 691
    Last Online : Apr-03-2017 @ 06:56 AM

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy;43850[HIGH-LIGHT
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ]If Grimm were the HC like he ought to be,[/HIGH-LIGHT] then we'd easily have racked up 225 yards rushing in that game.
    ???????
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

  11. #11
    JonnyBoy's Avatar
    Status : JonnyBoy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Posts : 42
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Jan-17-2010 @ 12:08 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    I'd do anything not to lose Grimm to another team, which I think we will this offseason. We lost Hayley last offseason, and Whiz never bothered to replace the position. If we lose Grimm then we might as well just take all of our RBs out into the desert and shoot them, cuz we'll never attempt a running play again. Maybe a few token 3 yard gains from draws from the Shotgun formation. YAY.

  12. #12
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Status : Jeremy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Oct 30, 2009
    Posts : 228
    Threads : 5
    Last Online : May-10-2011 @ 03:00 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    I'm lost.
    Hidden Content

    Who needs the USC song girls?

  13. #13
    jmd's Avatar
    Status : jmd is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Posts : 1,122
    Threads : 23
    Last Online : Sep-06-2011 @ 06:02 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm lost.
    Why am I not surprised?

    Who's the one that throws fits here? You've been throwing fits about Ben, and running the ball since last week now. But, please keep on trying, it's quite amusing watching you fail.

  14. #14
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Status : Jeremy is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Oct 30, 2009
    Posts : 228
    Threads : 5
    Last Online : May-10-2011 @ 03:00 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why am I not surprised?

    Who's the one that throws fits here? You've been throwing fits about Ben, and running the ball since last week now. But, please keep on trying, it's quite amusing watching you fail.
    Figues you'd have nothing to contribute to the thread other than a personal attack.
    Hidden Content

    Who needs the USC song girls?

  15. #15
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: And I thought the running game was obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your whole problem is you pitch a fit when anyone questions Saint Ben and Saint Bruce.

    Seriously, you are either completely ignorant or you have a reading comprehension issue. Perhaps it's both. I'm not really sure.

    At no point in any argument have I ever defended Bruce or Ben like you falsely and wrongly claim. All I have said is that this teams strength and talent is in the passing game. We've got more Talent in our wide outs than most teams in the league, Ben isn't one of the most accurate QB's in the league with annual high passer ratings, throwing for a lot of yards if he doesn't possess talent. We don't need to return to the Cowher power days because we don't have to compensate for guys like Neil O'Donnell, Kordel Stewart, Kent Graham and Mike Tomzcak that stunk.

    What this team IS NOT is a power running team. Mendenhall isn't a power running back, never has been, never will be. The guy doesn't lower his shoulders, he spin moves, uses his feet... he's not a power running back. This offensive line is not physical enough to be a power running line. They are perhaps the least physical line in our division, they are made more for the pass IMO. They could be better at both with a better O-Line coach since the guy we just fired - Larry Zierlein shouldn't have been hired in the first place. the next guy has to fix 3 years worth of probably **** poor technique.

    You don't suddenly switch offensive philosophies just for the hell of it. I know you aren't retarded, or at least I hope not. You design an offense around the talent you have. Only you would want to try and force a square peg in a round hole. This is a passing offense. It might not be an offense that can go down the field 30 yard passes at a time but it should throw more than it runs because that is what the offensive talent on this team dictates that you do.


    I've aleardy said Pittsburgh isn't going back to power running because we have a prima dona QB,

    What does that have to do with anything? We have a Quarterback that is highly accurate, is a winner, and is flat out good. I want the ball in Ben Roethlisberger's hands more than Rashard Mendenhall's . Ben is the better talent and that isn't to say that I don't like Mendenhall because I do and think the kid is good and will get better, but Ben is simply better and this team is better when the prima donna QB has the ball and control of the offense.

    a horrible offensive line,



    and a gutless head coach.

    Gutless for what? Not running the ball 30 times a game for a 2.0 YPC???? Tomlin might be gutless for not benching William Gay, not firing Bruce Arians.... but he's not gutless in this context. Tomlin just isn't being retarded like you want him to be. As you might notice, the Steelers offense can't convert 3rd downs. Your offense would put us in 3rd and 6's all game long . Good thing we don't have you designing an offense.

    So we're stuck with this spread wannabe offense.

    You obviously don't even know what a spread offense is to make an uneducated comment like that

    But whenever anyone suggests that we could be better at running the football, you automatically think we want to go back to Bettis.

    We ran for a 4.2 YPC average. I know that you do not understand this stuff so I'm going to help you out, son. That is a higher YPC than we had in 2004 and 2005... you know, the types of offenses that you want us to go back to being. We ran the ball better because a higher YPC suggests that it's more efficient. We don't need to run the ball MORE like you want or think. 26.8 times per game. We are about .6 rushes per game from being middle of the pack.. What we need is better playcalling at the right moments, not more running plays

    What did Jerome do to you anyway Kipper? Did he feel up your girlfriend at the Clark Bar? Jesus.

    Who said I had a problem with Bettis. Is your reading comprehension really this bad? You can't be this stupid. Seriously. Point out at any point where I said I had a problem with Jerome Bettis... Good luck finding it. This looks more like another one of thise stupid cry baby comments from you that are thrown in when you have nothing to argue or counter.

    Pittburgh's redzone offense was 21st in the league.

    No ****ing ****. I was pointing this out long before you came riding in here on your little ****ing pack mule pretending like you knew something. I've been *****ing about Bruce Arians before you probably realized he was our Offensive Coordinator. Nobody, not even BlackJackGold and Jerry Glanville have *****ed more about Bruce Arians than I have. I don't need you to tell me that he sucks. I've been *****ing about him since the day he was promoted cause I knew he sucked from when he was in Cleveland. I doubt you even knew he was the OC in Cleveland for 3 years.

    The problem with you is that you don't know enough about football to know WHY Bruce Arians sucks and WHY the red zone offense and 3rd down efficiency sucks. This is obvious because your solution is to "run the ball more"



    Anyone who thinks that's good enough to win a Super Bowl

    Who said that it was good enough? I don't think anyone has. All I see is someone that foolishly believes that all of our issues can be solved by "running more"


    is a ****ing moron who needs to stop watching football and watch something simpler like hackysack.

    You should take up your own suggestion since it's pretty evident that you don't really watch the games outside of being a mere casual fan nor do you understand and know how the game is played. Yoru own comments and suggestions easily state this

    Arians blows as an offensive coordinator.

    You're a little late to the party with that revelation, slick

    He's let Ben co-opt this offense so it resembles some Brett Favre Green Bay era BS where he just slings the ball all over the yard with no plan and no prayer in the red zone.

    I've got no problem with Ben operating a Brett Favre like offense because Ben is very much like Brett Favre as a QB. I understand that you aren't able to see the correlation or that you probably have this false belief that Bruce Arians himself turned Ben into a Brett Favre like QB. However most people have described Ben as a mixture of Favre and Elway as early as his rookie year. The problem isn't Ben throwing the ball. The problem isn't that the run game isn't used more, the problem all comes down to strategic play calling by Bruce Arians and it happens in both the pass and run games. He calls pass plays when we should run, calls run plays when we should pass, doesn't call enough short passing plays, screens, slants, doesn't counter what defenses are showing and bringing, doesn't dictate the flow with play calling etc...


    If you can't see that Kipper, then I don't know what to say to you.

    I've been seeing it, son. The difference is that you don't know what is wrong thus throwing out wrong solutions.
    .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •