Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben strikes back...

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ben strikes back...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not surprised that this has drug out.

I think Ben is innocent, but the characters involved, including his lawyers are going to milk this for everything they think it could be worth to them.
    From a legal aspect Ben's lawyers have done a pretty darn good job. Within the framework of the legal system they have really been aggressive and done quite well.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 413

I think he's innocent too. Doesn't mean he didn't do her, but if she wanted it, what the heck. I thought that's what men do.
    I'm glad to see the counter-suit. Her lawyer is a fool if he doesn't force her to drop the case now. Assuming Ben comes out clean, that almost assures he wins the counter-suit. Does anyone really believe she has even $10K?

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    On one side I see this as a good thing, maybe this will make women stop and have to think about it before they decide to falsely accuse a sport's star of rape for money. Also on one hand it looks as if he's willing to fight for his reputation.
    On the other side I see it as a bad thing. For one he is now basically admitting publicly to having sex with her and there will people who make him out to be the big rich meany wanting money from a poor woman.

I guess though at this point he's ****ed if he does and ****ed if he doesn't.

Hopefully though this has taught Ben a hard lesson. Fair or not, you're a celebrity, you have to be careful not only who you have sex with, but who you're alone with. If I was a high profile rich man, I wouldn't ever be alone with a woman I didn't know. I wouldn't even allow a female housekeeper in my room. Leno made a joke the other night about his life being videoed 24 hours a day, I'm not sure I wouldn't actually go that far.
    I don't see this lawsuit having any effect on her. If you don't have any money to start with does it really matter if someone sued you for $500 or $5 million either way you couldn't pay either judgement. The only thing that would happen is Ben would have a judgement against her. He would have legal right to garnish her wages and what not but do you really think Ben with his 100 million dollars would ever bother going after this woman for the money. She knows that and so does her lawyers. It's a step backwards but in no way is going to deter this woman from dropping this case.

Threads : 10

The 10K is just a principle number....

He could certainly sue for much more.

When I talk about his atty's milking this, I see them using the press and this case to promote their firm as aggressive ruthless defenders for future clients.

They have been trying this case in the press and there have been times which I feel it would have been better for them to issue 'no comment other than our client is innocent and we are confident that based on the evidence that he will be exonerated' statements.

I think that having played the press as a courtroom game is why some of their motions have been denied.
    Last edited by BlackJackGold; Oct-17-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: missing word and spelling

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are her lawyers liable if Ben wins his counter suit?

Not that it would go to trial, I would think it wouldn't - but say if everyone settles which I think might be the likely case, would her lawyers have to cough up some of the settlement if Ben has the leverage?

They have to prove that Dunlap knew the case was fabricated and went forward with it anyway which would be very hard to do without a confession or her testimony.

It would be very easy to impress 'reasonable doubt' in a jurors mind in a civil hearing over that matter.

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    I don't see this lawsuit having any effect on her. If you don't have any money to start with does it really matter if someone sued you for $500 or $5 million either way you couldn't pay either judgement. The only thing that would happen is Ben would have a judgement against her. He would have legal right to garnish her wages and what not but do you really think Ben with his 100 million dollars would ever bother going after this woman for the money. She knows that and so does her lawyers. It's a step backwards but in no way is going to deter this woman from dropping this case.
    If you have a judgment against you though it makes it very hard to get a loan and if they file a lien which is what most do then you can't sell a car or house.

But I don't think it was ever about the money but a scare tactic against the woman. She doesn't know if Ben would carry it out or not. If she loses her case, then who is she going to have to defend her? If her lawyer does defend her in this suit how much money is he going to want? How is she going to pay for it? Because she has no money a judgment could follow her around for the rest of her life.

That is things that would going through my mind anyway. But then I don't have fictional boyfriends and accusing someone of rape. So who knows what goes through the mind of a crazy person who probably at this point has convinced herself she was raped.

On the legal front at the least it makes one law office without as many resources go against several law offices with tons of resources, fight on two different fronts.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    They have to prove that Dunlap knew the case was fabricated and went forward with it anyway which would be very hard to do without a confession or her testimony.

It would be very easy to impress 'reasonable doubt' in a jurors mind in a civil hearing over that matter.
    they could also have him censured or disbarred.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

They would definately have to prove he knew it was fabricated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information