Thread: Malkin Slump = Sulking Jagr

Threads : 1739
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Malkin Slump = Sulking Jagr

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,212839

Columnist goes there, compares slumping Malkin to sulking Jagr

By Greg Wyshynski

At this point last season, Evgeni Malkin(notes) had 15 goals and 47 assists, putting himself squarely in the MVP conversation before the Pittsburgh Penguins even found their stride. Which is to say that at this point last season, Evgeni Malkin had more assists than he has points at this juncture (43).

His early season injury is an obvious drag on the numbers and Malkin's still on pace for a 90-point season. But outside of his Dec. 23 hat trick against Ottawa, Malkin has two goals since the end of November. This was alarming enough for Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Ron Cook to put the spotlight on Malkin's struggles, which are the sort of thing columnists latch onto when there's not much else to write about a defending Stanley Cup champion (see: Goaltending, Detroit Red Wings) or when the local football team fails to make the postseason.

Cook reports that Coach Dan Bylsma believes Malkin's slump "affect his energy level and his posture" and that defenseman Sergei Gonchar(notes) had a "long meeting" with Malkin about his focus during the goal-scoring drought. The combination of these factors led Cook to go there:

It's enough to make you wonder what will happen to him if the Penguins don't do a new contract with Gonchar and allow him to leave as a free agent after the season.

Can you say Jaromir Jagr(notes)?

You know the sad ending to the Jagr era with the Penguins. An extraordinary player, he was so moody and sulked so much that he talked of "dying alive" late in his time here. He asked to be traded more than once before former general manager Craig Patrick finally granted his wish before the 2001-02 season.

Cook then couches his Travis Pastrana-level leap in logic by saying "I'm not ready to suggest that Malkin is going to be another Jagr," after spending the previous two paragraphs doing just that.

Jared OzVath thoroughly trashes Cook's hockey observations on his blog, including being about a week behind in his analysis of Malkin's play. But the real atrocity in Cook's piece is that Malkin-as-Jagr-in-waiting comparison, which fails under nearly every test.

His sulking is a symptom of his slump, and not the psychological condition Jagr's was. He can't suck the air out of the locker room, because Sidney Crosby(notes) is a captain with an oxygen pump. Yes, there's something to be said for the absence of a mentor if Gonchar isn't back; but it's a real armchair Freud move to suggest Malkin's a few years away from a trade request should it happen.

Meanwhile, he's a Top 20 scorer with better than a point per game pace, who took a hometown discount to stay in Pittsburgh. Wow, what a head case. (UPDATE: We were derelict in not checking for The Pensblog's measured (i.e. NSFW) response to Cook.)

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Malkin Slump = Sulking Jagr

He'll turn it around, sooner rather than later.

And losing Gonch as his crutch would probably be good for him in the long-run.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ron Cook strikes gold again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby Clan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'll turn it around, sooner rather than later.

And losing Gonch as his crutch would probably be good for him in the long-run.
    Definitely.

I like how morons like Cook (I'm holding out on sparing you guys another Kipper meltdown about Pittsburgh writers) suggest that Gonchar is some sort of crutch when their own ignorance, lack of knowledge and anything resembling research would have shown him that Malkin moved out of Gonchar's house and into his own last year. Hell, Sid is still getting warm meals from Natalie Lemieux

Malkin will definitely turn it around. Players slump, fans get ****ed off and want heads cut off, terrible columnists and writers create pieces that make highschool newspaper look like Pullitzers and most times all is good in the end.

What should be interesting is to see how these upcoming Olympic Games are going to affect players when the NHL season resumes... That might be the big surge Geno needs, that boost of momentum and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    Ron Cook strikes gold again.
    Ron Cook's Gold

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wasnt Ron Cook the guy that was ****ed right off when we fired MT?
    Wasnt Ron Cook the guy that wanted us to trade Staal for Antropov?

This guy is a complete dick and has no business writing articles on hockey.
    ďItís a game of emotion, itís a game of hard work.
    Itís a game of passion, Kovalchuk, what he did the other day Ė thereís not one guy who was close to doing something. Maybe Maxime Talbot at the end with one second left. Hes about 5ft8 pfft"

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Ron Cook's Gold

I'm sure Sergei called up his good buddy Ron right after his 'meeting' with Geno to read him off a transcript of everything that was said.

What an *******. I Wonder how many games Cook has attended...Or hell, even better yet, has bothered to watch this season? Or ever?
    Last edited by jmd; Jan-12-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erzo77 View Post
    Wasnt Ron Cook the guy that was ****ed right off when we fired MT?
    Wasnt Ron Cook the guy that wanted us to trade Staal for Antropov?

This guy is a complete dick and has no business writing articles on hockey.
    You know... I can't remember off the top of my head but I do remember someone wanting us to trade Staal for Antropov and people being ****ed about the Therrien firing.... so it wouldn't surprise me if it was Cook or Smizik or one whoever that is assigned to cover sports in Pittsburgh that know nothing about any of the sports and teams.

I wanna say that cook joined in and agreed with Smizik on how "booing" players from other teams is bad

Threads : 34

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Definitely.

I like how morons like Cook (I'm holding out on sparing you guys another Kipper meltdown about Pittsburgh writers) suggest that Gonchar is some sort of crutch when their own ignorance, lack of knowledge and anything resembling research would have shown him that Malkin moved out of Gonchar's house and into his own last year. Hell, Sid is still getting warm meals from Natalie Lemieux

Malkin will definitely turn it around. Players slump, fans get ****ed off and want heads cut off, terrible columnists and writers create pieces that make highschool newspaper look like Pullitzers and most times all is good in the end.

What should be interesting is to see how these upcoming Olympic Games are going to affect players when the NHL season resumes... That might be the big surge Geno needs, that boost of momentum and energy.
    I was thinking the same thing..this olympic break could actually energize Geno. It sucks that he may need that to get going, but I'll take whatever right now...I just wonder if there really was something between him and Alyonka that may be bothering him...I don't know, but something is going on behind the scenes, that we don't know about, so I am just guessing. Maybe he has a nagging injury.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 29

Invite his parents back for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    I was thinking the same thing..this olympic break could actually energize Geno. It sucks that he may need that to get going, but I'll take whatever right now...I just wonder if there really was something between him and Alyonka that may be bothering him...I don't know, but something is going on behind the scenes, that we don't know about, so I am just guessing. Maybe he has a nagging injury.
    Nagging injury is generally always the first thing to consider but he doesn't look like he's favoring anything out there. His shot looks strong, his skating looks strong, he can pivot well, he's hitting and absorbing hits... I don't see anything injury related.....

To me,. Malkin's mental game is way off and where I see this is in "takeaway" game. When Geno is normal or really on, the guy is picking passes and plays unbelievably. His mind is into it and he's reading stuff well. Right now.... he looks like he's about 50% mentally there... where the other 50% is and why it is there, is anyone's guess but that's my personal belief right now. the nice thing is, IMO, something like that can be overcome very quickly... those olympic games might provide the release mentally that he needs. Sometimes when stuff is a little monotonous like it probably is at this point in the season.... that little fresh change is helpful...

you know how they say a "change of scenery helps out". The Olympics might just be what Geno needs

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    Invite his parents back for the rest of the season.
    Very true. Geno plays ridiculous when his rents are over here

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even Puck Daddy took Cook to task on this one.

Threads : 34

Quote Originally Posted by joeyhurricane View Post
    Even Puck Daddy took Cook to task on this one.

I really wish he would stop writing about Hockey. He is an embarrassment to the City.

I guess other city's have their own problems with sportswriters, but this guy just makes us look bad. He is just completely out of his league.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information