Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dotel, Carrasco, another reliever signings imminent?

Threads : 138

Default Dotel, Carrasco, another reliever signings imminent?

"Management has moved deeper into already productive talks with two free-agent right-handers, Octavio Dotel and D.J. Carrasco, the latter aimed at a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training, and multiple sources said yesterday those could result in agreements soon.

Management is in equally deep talks with another free-agent right-hander, one of those sources said, but they would divulge only that the type of contract being discussed is major league. Possibilities include Jamey Wright, Kiko Calero, Brendan Donnelly, Seth McClung, Russ Springer and Chan Ho Park. The Pirates are known to have expressed interest in Wright.

One reliever to rule out: Kevin Gregg.

What might be delaying a conclusion with all three relievers is that the Pirates, with the addition of Church, have a full 40-man roster and will need to clear spots for the two relievers with major league contracts. That could mean the release of a bubble player or two, such as infielders Steve Pearce and Brian Bixler, or the trade of Delwyn Young, who might be out of the picture at any position.

Ramon Vazquez and Bobby Crosby will be the backup infielders, while Church and one of Brandon Moss or Rule 5 pick John Raynor appear likely to stick in the outfield, according to indications from management. That would leave no room on the bench for Young."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10013...#ixzz0cV1DQvUQ

Default Re: Dotel, Carrasco, another reliever signings imminent?

Did anyone here remember that the Bucs lost Carrasco to the Royals in the 2002 Rule 5 draft? If nothing else, a Carrasco signing could spark another round of Littlebrain bashing (bashing Littlebrain never gets old)...

"If you are a Pirates nerd (like myself), you might remember Carrasco being a top relief prospect for the Bucs before being drafted by the Royals in the 2002 Rule 5 Draft. Carrasco served as Lynchburg's closer in 2002 where he racked up 29 saves and posted a 1.61 ERA.

But those numbers are minor league numbers and are things of the past. Last season, Carrasco pitched for the White Sox and put up his best season of his career. In 93.1 innings, he posted a 5-1 record with a 3.76 ERA. He struck out 62 and walked 29.

This will be an interesting story to follow because if the Pirates are able to sign Carrasco, it would definitely strengthen a bullpen that is in need of some help."
    http://www.northsidenotch.com/

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For all the talk of Delwyn Young not making this roster, I'm a little surprised. I thought he made strides at second base and he was their best hitter off the bench. If nothing else, he can play a couple spots and he's a switch hitter. Seems like an ideal bench player.

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anyone here remember that the Bucs lost Carrasco to the Royals in the 2002 Rule 5 draft? If nothing else, a Carrasco signing could spark another round of Littlebrain bashing (bashing Littlebrain never gets old)...

"If you are a Pirates nerd (like myself), you might remember Carrasco being a top relief prospect for the Bucs before being drafted by the Royals in the 2002 Rule 5 Draft. Carrasco served as Lynchburg's closer in 2002 where he racked up 29 saves and posted a 1.61 ERA.

But those numbers are minor league numbers and are things of the past. Last season, Carrasco pitched for the White Sox and put up his best season of his career. In 93.1 innings, he posted a 5-1 record with a 3.76 ERA. He struck out 62 and walked 29.

This will be an interesting story to follow because if the Pirates are able to sign Carrasco, it would definitely strengthen a bullpen that is in need of some help."

Carrasco was a middling reliever in the Pirates organization. He had that success on his 4th try at the A+ level at age 25. He failed twice when he was promoted to AA. Please donít make his guy out to be something he isnít.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Carrasco was a middling reliever in the Pirates organization. He had that success on his 4th try at the A+ level at age 25. He failed twice when he was promoted to AA. Please donít make his guy out to be something he isnít.
    I fail to see where anyone showed that Carassco was great. Weren't you the same one just defending a half assed yahoo writer that couldn't research anything, but you're being critical of a guy that at least provided numbers and insight into a players past? JFC, man Give me a break The point was that he shouldn't have been lost in the rule V ( was it that rule V or the one before that Littlefield lost a bunch of players due to his own blunders?).. '

Your reading comprehension is better than this PFIV. Maybe the guy from North side ***** should stick to writing awful fluff pieces disguised as a 2 bit yahoo writer for your approval

The end of the northside notch article was right... Carrasco could help the bullpen. his stats at the MLB tell you that

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I fail to see where anyone showed that Carassco was great. Weren't you the same one just defending a half assed yahoo writer that couldn't research anything, but you're being critical of a guy that at least provided numbers and insight into a players past? JFC, man Give me a break The point was that he shouldn't have been lost in the rule V ( was it that rule V or the one before that Littlefield lost a bunch of players due to his own blunders?).. '

Your reading comprehension is better than this PFIV. Maybe the guy from North side ***** should stick to writing awful fluff pieces disguised as a 2 bit yahoo writer for your approval

The end of the northside notch article was right... Carrasco could help the bullpen. his stats at the MLB tell you that
    Just pointed out that there was a reason why Carassco's numbers were that good and that he wasn't that good of a prospect back then.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll take Dotel, Calero, and I guess Carrasco...sure.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 197

Carrasco's deal is apparently done, minor league deal with $950,000 salary if he makes the team.

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post

Holy crap. I forgot all about that. Carrasco was the first of 5 players lost in total to the Rule 5 that year. Carrasco went on to lead the Royals pen in innings pitched. Littlefield followed that up by losing 5 of the first 6 picks the following year.

Carrasco was 5-1 and had a 3.76 ERA for the ChiSox last season. He also pitched 93.1 innings last year. He pitched in the Sox' "small" ballpark in the heavy-hitting AL.

So, how does a guy like this end up settling for a minor league deal?

This is pretty shrewd signing by NH. I can't imagine Carrasco not making the team out of ST. This is exactly the kind of guy the Bucs need in the bullpen, IMO.

Threads : 215

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    For all the talk of Delwyn Young not making this roster, I'm a little surprised. I thought he made strides at second base and he was their best hitter off the bench. If nothing else, he can play a couple spots and he's a switch hitter. Seems like an ideal bench player.
    Yeah, don't through the babe out with the bathwater. Nothin wrong with DY.

Threads : 36

This would strengthen the pen considerably IMO. He is an innings eater with a rubber arm. Now if the team signs Dotel I actually think the pen would be above average. I would like to see another lefty too, but maybe Moskos is that guy down the road.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Yeah, don't through the babe out with the bathwater. Nothin wrong with DY.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a lot of concern over Young's defense last season. His glove wasn't good enough to play second and his bat wasn't good enough to play a corner outfield slot.
    Hidden Content

Who needs the USC song girls?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    This would strengthen the pen considerably IMO. He is an innings eater with a rubber arm. Now if the team signs Dotel I actually think the pen would be above average. I would like to see another lefty too, but maybe Moskos is that guy down the road.
    Give me Dotel and Calero and I will be VERY, VERY happy.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Give me Dotel and Calero and I will be VERY, VERY happy.
    Now if only they'd made an attempt to hang onto Capps...
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information