Thread: 2010 Player minor league option status

Threads : 197

Default 2010 Player minor league option status

Branching off from a discussion that was getting pretty confusing in the Church thread I'll throw this info by itself.

I believe the things I was saying about 4th options as long as you're under 5 years pro is correct, but in the cases of Jeff Clement and Steve Pearce that point is actually not necessary.

Jeff Clement had his contract purchased 9/4/07 and joined the major league team. That means he was never optioned down in '07. His first option was used in '08, a second in '09, so he'll have his third for 2010. Same thing for Steve Pearce, contract purchased 9/1/07, Ross Ohlendorf contract purchased 9/9/07, and Kevin Hart contract purchased 9/4/07.

Brian Bixler and Charlie Morton were both added to 40 man rosters in advance of the December 2007 Rule 5, so they've each used 2 options as well.

Ross Ohlendorf should have 2 since he was never sent down in '09, but hopefully they won't be needed.

Andrew McCutchen will have all 3 options available, but hopefully never used. Pedro Alvarez could technically be left in the minors through the 2012 season if necessary. Better hope it's not.

Two options remaining
    Neil Walker
    Chris Jakubauskas
    Steven Jackson
    Anthony Claggett
    Evan Meek

One option remaining:
    Jeff Clement
    Steve Pearce
    Kevin Hart
    Brian Bixler
    Charlie Morton
    Argenis Diaz

Notably out of options:
    Brandon Moss
    Delwyn Young
    Jose Ascanio
    Lastings Milledge

The hope is that that doesn't matter for Lastings, and that Ascanio can join the team once his rehab's done. Moss and Young, of course, are on the bubble. Daniel McCutchen should have all 3 options remaining.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2010 Player minor league option status

Awesome research, work, jnn

Answer this for me... we're talking about options here... what about team controlled years? Like, Moss is out of options, but what is the long term years control on him?

I'm just trying to guesstimate who is could still get cut and such

I think Moss comes up just a few days short of 2 years of MLB service time, which I believe gives them 5 years of control rather than 4. I might have to look into it more to be sure.

Guys who will likely be first time arbitration eligible for 2011 assuming they spend 2010 in the majors:
    Lastings Milledge
    Andy LaRoche
    Delwyn Young
    Joel Hanrahan

Guys who will be in their final arb year in 2011:
    Zach Duke
    Javier Lopez
    Ryan Church

I mentioned that Church did before, but didn't realize that Lopez had another arb year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Moss comes up just a few days short of 2 years of MLB service time, which I believe gives them 5 years of control rather than 4. I might have to look into it more to be sure.

Guys who will likely be first time arbitration eligible for 2011 assuming they spend 2010 in the majors:
    Lastings Milledge
    Andy LaRoche
    Delwyn Young
    Joel Hanrahan

Guys who will be in their final arb year in 2011:
    Zach Duke
    Javier Lopez
    Ryan Church

I mentioned that Church did before, but didn't realize that Lopez had another arb year as well.
    I thought someone had mentioned that this was Duke's final arb year as a reasoning for him getting traded this season?

Having that much control with Moss is about what separates him and Young. I was thinking we had more control of Moss.

That falls really nice with Milledge, Hanrahan and LaRoche becoming first year arb eligable in 2011.... it's that whole "incentive to perform" thing that could perhaps work in our favor production wise

I guess it's too late to edit now, but also arb eligible for the final time in 2011 will be Ronny Cedeno. I knew he was, but forgot to put it in the post for some reason. Also out of their arb years will be Ryan Doumit and Paul Maholm. Doumit has a $7.25 million option for 2012, and Maholm has one for almost $10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I thought someone had mentioned that this was Duke's final arb year as a reasoning for him getting traded this season?
    If you remember back in 2008 there was some minor outrage over Duke getting a pay cut in one of his pre-arb years from his 2007 salary ($410,000 to $400,000), then in 2009 there was again some minor outrage over Duke avoiding arbitration by being given $2.2 million. 2010 is only his second arbitration eligible season

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I guess it's too late to edit now, but also arb eligible for the final time in 2011 will be Ronny Cedeno. I knew he was, but forgot to put it in the post for some reason. Also out of their arb years will be Ryan Doumit and Paul Maholm. Doumit has a $7.25 million option for 2012, and Maholm has one for almost $10 million.

If you remember back in 2008 there was some minor outrage over Duke getting a pay cut in one of his pre-arb years from his 2007 salary ($410,000 to $400,000), then in 2009 there was again some minor outrage over Duke avoiding arbitration by being given $2.2 million. 2010 is only his second arbitration eligible season
    Maholm has an option for $10 million? Holy crap.

Based on contracts, arb, control, options etc... all of it but not figuring in a single stat...

What do you think? Maholm would get traded instead of Duke?

The exact option terms on Maholm and Doumit:
    Maholm: $9.75 million 2012 option with $750,000 buyout
    Doumit: $15.5 million 2012-2013 option with $500,000 buyout.

If you pick up Doumit's option you commit for both years, his age 31 and 32 seasons. I'm not sure if he'll even be alive then.

I think Maholm would bring a greater return than Duke based on a variety of factors, but he's also the guy I'd be more interested in keeping around.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

obviously i don't know, but i would be willing to bet that both Duke and Maholm are kept and Doumit gets traded, especially if he is healthy and hitting at the trade deadline. I think Jaramillo showed last year that he could handle the catching duties until Sanchez is ready. Duke and Maholm showed enough improvement last year, that if it carries over to this year, they would be worth hanging onto as opposed to what you could get from trading them. who knows though, good left handed starters tend to net more than their right handed counterparts.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 45

I actually think if Duke does well, he will be the one traded this year, provided the return is strong. Huntington has stated on several occasions, that he would have to be blown away completely to make a deal. They control Maholm's cost, whereas Duke's cost is uncertain going forward.

I think this season will be interesting, because as the talent that the FO has asmassed starts reaching AA, they will start to become relevant. I look forward to seeing if guys like Locke and Morris can become plus prospects or if they are just going to fall by the wayside.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information