Thread: 2010 Bench

Threads : 36

Default 2010 Bench

I find it funny/ironic that the bench will be a strength of the team, but the starting 8 is a little weak. I'm assuming Clement will be the 1st basemen to start the year. IMO he has to completely bomb to not start out as the 1st basemen.
    Jaramillo is a very capable backup
    Crosby and Vazquez are solid backups
    Church is an excellent 4th OF'er
    The last spot will come down to either Moss, Young or Raynor. They all bring some strengths to the bench and different ones as that.

The only weakness IMO of that bench is a lack of pop.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2010 Bench

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it funny/ironic that the bench will be a strength of the team, but the starting 8 is a little weak. I'm assuming Clement will be the 1st basemen to start the year. IMO he has to completely bomb to not start out as the 1st basemen.
    Jaramillo is a very capable backup
    Crosby and Vazquez are solid backups
    Church is an excellent 4th OF'er
    The last spot will come down to either Moss, Young or Raynor. They all bring some strengths to the bench and different ones as that.

[HIGH-LIGHT]The only weakness IMO of that bench is a lack of pop.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    That is the problem with the whole team and even the minor league depth...
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    That is the problem with the whole team and even the minor league depth...
    Sort of.

I mean... there's a lack of proven power but we have a lot of potential power... Look at the 1992 Pirates. Besides Bonds and Van slyke... there was no other power on that team . Jeff King might have had between 10-14 but he couldn't hit anything else with a low BA that year....

Power is nice... we aren't going to be the Phillies have half a roster or more of power guys, but I think we could potentially when all is said and done have an average overall power season numbers wise... Granted that relies on some of that potential moving up the ladder. I'm not expecting peak power but more...

Milledge - Has to improve his power. 4 homers last year won't cut it... BUT he's hit 14 in a season 2 years ago or so. He has the potential to be at least that. A healed wrist, in shape... Milledge at 14 homers is a big improvement over anything we got from LF last season.

Cutch - If he just hits the same power mark as last year I'll be happy. He eventually could be a 20 homer guy, if he never becomes that, so be it, but I'm not expecting it at the age of 23.

Jones - Jones over a full season has 30+ home run power potential. there's just not a person around that know if he is the real deal or a fluke.

Clement - He has the true left handed pull power that every single one of us screamed for years at Littlefield to get. Littlefield never got it. the best he did was get a left handed hitter in adam Laroche... except Laroche was never a pull hitter, Clement is. Good possibilty that Jeff clement is a guy that hits below average but can put up average at worse power numbers. In any case he has nice power potential.

LaRoche - He started to look completely healed in august-September last season where the power started to really show up. Andy Laroche has 20 homer potential.

Doumit - If healthy is above average as far as power hitting catchers.

That's not as ugly as we think. There's a lot of "if's" and "questions" as there should be with a young, inexperienced and developing lineup, but there's more potential there than I think we realize. There's not a guy outside of Jones perhaps that has that Bay and Nady 2008 power. We have a lot of guys with 20 homer power IMO, but that all adds up. just because we might lack that huge impact power bat or 2, don't discount what a lot of 20 homer guys can provide. It's like going to walmart. you walk around, pick up a bunch of things that cost $3 bucks, look at your buggy, think you're spending $50 and they tell you $150 It all adds up.

I didn't even mention alvarez, then again unless he proves otherwise, I fully an expecting a struggle period when he comes up, so I'm not expecting a ton from him next season. same with Tabata. Just because McCutchen came up and tore it up doesn't mean others will. That would be unrealistic thinking wise. I mean, Barry Bonds hit .223 in his first season of a call up, Mike Schmidt was terrible in his first season etc... however, that's even more potential with Pedro

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    The only weakness IMO of that bench is a lack of pop.
    The only weakness IMO of that bench is Vazquez. Dude's useless. Can't play SS and he slugged .279 last year.

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    The only weakness IMO of that bench is Vazquez. Dude's useless. Can't play SS and he slugged .279 last year.
    Personally, I'd rather they cut this guy and keep Moss and Young. At least they still have upside. But that does leave the infield thin.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    Personally, I'd rather they cut this guy and keep Moss and Young. At least they still have upside. But that does leave the infield thin.
    Vazquez is making near $2 million this season. I'm not seeing him getting cut unfortunately.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Vazquez is making near $2 million this season. I'm not seeing him getting cut unfortunately.
    He's terrible though...value-wise.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    He's terrible though...value-wise.
    Beyond terrible. I continued *****ing about this deal as recent as a week ago I think by far, IMO, Huntington's worst signing. completely overpayment on a useless player. We got nothing close to the $1.8 million value from Vazquez last season.

Now that I look at what I wrote... if Vazquez is one of the worst signings I can think of by NH... then that's a good thing, i think

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Sort of.

I mean... there's a lack of proven power but we have a lot of potential power... Look at the 1992 Pirates. Besides Bonds and Van slyke... there was no other power on that team . Jeff King might have had between 10-14 but he couldn't hit anything else with a low BA that year....

Power is nice... we aren't going to be the Phillies have half a roster or more of power guys, but I think we could potentially when all is said and done have an average overall power season numbers wise... Granted that relies on some of that potential moving up the ladder. I'm not expecting peak power but more...

Milledge - Has to improve his power. 4 homers last year won't cut it... BUT he's hit 14 in a season 2 years ago or so. He has the potential to be at least that. A healed wrist, in shape... Milledge at 14 homers is a big improvement over anything we got from LF last season.

Cutch - If he just hits the same power mark as last year I'll be happy. He eventually could be a 20 homer guy, if he never becomes that, so be it, but I'm not expecting it at the age of 23.

Jones - Jones over a full season has 30+ home run power potential. there's just not a person around that know if he is the real deal or a fluke.

Clement - He has the true left handed pull power that every single one of us screamed for years at Littlefield to get. Littlefield never got it. the best he did was get a left handed hitter in adam Laroche... except Laroche was never a pull hitter, Clement is. Good possibilty that Jeff clement is a guy that hits below average but can put up average at worse power numbers. In any case he has nice power potential.

LaRoche - He started to look completely healed in august-September last season where the power started to really show up. Andy Laroche has 20 homer potential.

Doumit - If healthy is above average as far as power hitting catchers.

That's not as ugly as we think. There's a lot of "if's" and "questions" as there should be with a young, inexperienced and developing lineup, but there's more potential there than I think we realize. There's not a guy outside of Jones perhaps that has that Bay and Nady 2008 power. We have a lot of guys with 20 homer power IMO, but that all adds up. just because we might lack that huge impact power bat or 2, don't discount what a lot of 20 homer guys can provide. It's like going to walmart. you walk around, pick up a bunch of things that cost $3 bucks, look at your buggy, think you're spending $50 and they tell you $150 It all adds up.

I didn't even mention alvarez, then again unless he proves otherwise, I fully an expecting a struggle period when he comes up, so I'm not expecting a ton from him next season. same with Tabata. Just because McCutchen came up and tore it up doesn't mean others will. That would be unrealistic thinking wise. I mean, Barry Bonds hit .223 in his first season of a call up, Mike Schmidt was terrible in his first season etc... however, that's even more potential with Pedro
    I tend to agree with you Kip. I read that Milledge and LaRoche are in excellent shape and worked on strength over the winter. That should mean better power numbers from them.

Count third baseman Andy LaRoche, left fielder Lastings Milledge and reliever Evan Meek among those who have made noticeable conditioning improvements since season's end.

"Neal and I met with guys after the season and talked about it," Russell said. "But the next piece is you've got to go do it. We're impressed with them, with our pitchers, with a lot of our guys."

Perhaps no difference is greater than with Milledge, who did not come to the Pirates in optimal shape with the trade last June but gradually got stronger, then participated in a winter conditioning program in Tampa, Fla.

Milledge added that his right hand injury -- that sapped him of power last season -- is "really strong."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10014...#ixzz0cd1KWJjb
    I hope Cutch continues to improve. Not looking forward to a sophomore from him at all. Alvarez and Tabata, when they're ready, really make this a team to look forward to watching. IMHO, it's all starting to fall into place.

One thing that is missing here, though, is a "stopper". All teams tend to fall into a funk and I'm not sure which of these guys is the one to bring them out of it. I hope someone steps up into a real leadership role.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information