Thread: Pitching predictions

Threads : 215

Default Pitching predictions

How do you think the Pirates pitching will perform this year, barring any trades?..And there could be one.

Do the older new pitcher signees show the rest of the team how? Do they make it past April, or even spring training without injuries?

I am always excited about the pitching and always end up disappointed. This year looks to be a good mix with a little depth left over at AAA. Even if it becomes an above average bullpen, will the starters do their share in most games? Will the starters wear the bullpen down? Will the pitchers go six innings in April and often more when the weather warms up? April is about pitch count and warmer weather is about stretching it out and getting ready for the heat of July and August. Will this group hold up?

I am ok with the top two catchers, that should not be any type of problem for the pitchers.

Threads : 4

Default Re: Pitching predictions

This is the time of year when I am really thirsty for the Kool-aid, so I'm going to say that the pitching will be better this year. Another year of Kerrigan, another year of maturity for the starters, and what looks like a seasoned bullpen means we'll be in good shape. If the offense can provide enough runs to make the pitchers think they have a chance of winning, that would help a ton, too.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On paper....

The pitching staff should be better.

Looking at the Starting rotation.

1. Paul Maholm - The numbers he put up in 2009 are his career norm. Too many people IMO look at his 2008 numbers but those numbers are the exception.

I expect Maholm to produce : 1.42-1.44 WHIP | 4.30-4.44 ERA (basically his career numbers)

Paul Maholm is a 4th pitcher on a good team. I won't be sad to see him gone.

2. Zach Duke - He had a good season last year. Even though his numbers slipped drastically after the trade deadline, these trade deadlines under NH have killed morale and momentum of players and I look at that as some blame for Duke's numbers....

I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 4.10- 4.25 ERA | 1.35 WHIP

Again, not Top end of the rotation type guy.

3. Ross Ohlendorf - There's some "experts" that claim that Ohlendorf simply got lucky last year because of his Babip numbers and predict a fall in his stats. Personally I saw a guy that was getting better all around as the season went on. He didn't have that "Red Flag" suck for a half, look great for another half like your Ian Snell's and such of the past, he just steadily improved over the course of the season..... and I think he's going to get better especially with the new delivery which has added the velocity back on.

A line of 3.50-3.75 ERA | 1.15-1.25 WHIP is not unrealistic at all

4. Charlie Morton - Has the best stuff on this staff and is IMO a true #2 guy on this staff. It's tough to really look at his stats without really looking at them last season. his ERa and WHIP got blown up big time by that ONE game in august against the cubs where he gave up like 10 runs. It was just one of those fluke games that wasn't the norm but hurt his numbers. Take away that cubs game and Morton put up really nice numbers

I doubt he really puts up sub 3 ERA numbers but something I look at what he did in the month of September last season as a good starting point. 3.50-3.70 ERA | 1.20-1.30 WHIP

5. Daniel McCutchen. Tough to really predict McCutchen. I'm assuming he's the #5 simply because he profiles better as a starter than Hart and Hart better as a reliever. McCutchen had a small sample size last season. His BB rates were a little higher than his minors results were. I think his control gets more in line with his minors control he can improve on his 6 game end of seasons stint.

So I'll go with the safe pick for McCutchen - 3.99-4.20 ERA | 1.30-1.35 WHIP.

McCutchen has the potential to put up better numbers than Duke and Maholm. My projections were based on his 4.21 | 1.35 line last season

---------------------------

It's not a top of the line Pitching staff but it's very middle of the pack which is good. Minus a firesale trade deadline, I can see these numbers being a consistent over a full season which will be the biggest improvement for this team IMO.

--------------------

The Bullpen is pretty intriguing.

I've seen out and about people talking about how this BP is old, but there were DL BP's with guys like Hernandez and Torres etc... who were well into their 30's.

I think this looks like a pretty well rounded BP so far (throwing in the Dotel possibility). I'd have to see some results but at this point, I see what Neal's philosophy was regarding the BP. The results explain his answers and it's not a bad philosophy at all... at least on paper..

-----------------

the thing of course not taken into account is regressing players. We always have that one pitcher that regresses and that one pitcher that has that abnormally good season stats wise (2009 duke, 2008 Maholm, 2007 Snell... etc..) It could be anyone but until this trend breaks I'd figure in someone for this. Duke seems most likely since he had the abnormally good season. The positive with the staff from last year is that even though Maholm didn't duplicate his 2008 numbers, he only came down to his career numbers.

Threads : 45

Kip, your projections just support the one thing I've felt all along. This staff will need an ace. It's currently not here and no one close is going to be that ace unless Alderson steps up big! This will be an issue that I hope will be addressed sometime soon. If they plan to trade for one, the rush is not as big. Maybe they can deal Duke or Maholm and get a young high upside pitcher in return.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kip, your projections just support the one thing I've felt all along. This staff will need an ace. It's currently not here and no one close is going to be that ace unless Alderson steps up big! This will be an issue that I hope will be addressed sometime soon. If they plan to trade for one, the rush is not as big. Maybe they can deal Duke or Maholm and get a young high upside pitcher in return.
    I'm with ya. I mean, who knows, sometimes aces come from strange places or they take time. Cliff Lee wasn't always Ace material. It took him until he was 29 years old to put up Ace type numbers (had that one odd ball season of decent stats but not overpowering).

However I agree completely in that we have nobody on the staff or near ready that projects as an Ace... that guy you can be confident in throwing out there against another teams best pitcher and matching wits in a pitcher's duel, that guy you rely on to end streaks or add boosts... An Ace pitcher is more than just the numbers, he's the Closer of the starting rotation IMO....

I don't think Alderson is Ace material. He doesn't really have that type of stuff, but who knows..

Trading for an Ace is the only solution if we desperately need one and to do that, it will cost a lot of prospects, which is why it is important to have a thriving and full system. We aren't there yet

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post

Yikes, I hate looking at those starting pitchers. All I envision is another year with one of the the highest WHIPs in the League. I think it's really hard on the offense to not be playing behind at least one guy who can get people out consistently, always feeling like your pitcher will be in trouble for most of the game. Must be ****ed exhausting to play both offense and defense behind that starting staff...

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    Yikes, I hate looking at those starting pitchers. All I envision is another year with one of the the highest WHIPs in the League. I think it's really hard on the offense to not be playing behind at least one guy who can get people out consistently, always feeling like your pitcher will be in trouble for most of the game. Must be ****ed exhausting to play both offense and defense behind that starting staff...
    The positives are, the Pirates starters last season were 22nd in WHIP at 1.42.

I think there's the potential to lower those WHIP numbers. Last year the WHIP numbers were driven higher by Snell (1.62), Vazquez (1.79), and if Hart (1.88) goes to the pen. assume that Morton's WHIP falls from 1.46 (which it should by a good 10 points) and the Pirates get somewhere around McCutchen's 1.35 WHIP from the #5 and you have an improved Starting rotation in terms of WHIP. If the Pirates just lower that WHIP from 1.42 tio just 1.39 (3 points), it will have gone from 22nd to 13th ranked and middle of the pack. for a team with no Ace and not even a clear cut proven #2, that's not all that bad

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The positives are, the Pirates starters last season were 22nd in WHIP at 1.42.

I think there's the potential to lower those WHIP numbers. Last year the WHIP numbers were driven higher by Snell (1.62), Vazquez (1.79), and if Hart (1.88) goes to the pen. assume that Morton's WHIP falls from 1.46 (which it should by a good 10 points) and the Pirates get somewhere around McCutchen's 1.35 WHIP from the #5 and you have an improved Starting rotation in terms of WHIP. If the Pirates just lower that WHIP from 1.42 tio just 1.39 (3 points), it will have gone from 22nd to 13th ranked and middle of the pack. for a team with no Ace and not even a clear cut proven #2, that's not all that bad
    Or, tied for next-to-last in the NL, with only the Nats behind them.... It's a bigger problem on a team that doesn't have any offensive power to counteract it. Hence, if you actually do lower the WHIP, and raise the power numbers, maybe you've got something!

Threads : 413

On paper....

1. Paul Maholm - The numbers he put up in 2009 are his career norm. Too many people IMO look at his 2008 numbers but those numbers are the exception.

I expect Maholm to produce : 1.42-1.44 WHIP | 4.30-4.44 ERA (basically his career numbers)

2. Zach Duke - He had a good season last year. Even though his numbers slipped drastically after the trade deadline, these trade deadlines under NH have killed morale and momentum of players and I look at that as some blame for Duke's numbers....

3. Ross Ohlendorf - There's some "experts" that claim that Ohlendorf simply got lucky last year because of his Babip numbers and predict a fall in his stats. Personally I saw a guy that was getting better all around as the season went on. He didn't have that "Red Flag" suck for a half, look great for another half like your Ian Snell's and such of the past, he just steadily improved over the course of the season..... and I think he's going to get better especially with the new delivery which has added the velocity back on.

4. Charlie Morton - Has the best stuff on this staff and is IMO a true #2 guy on this staff. It's tough to really look at his stats without really looking at them last season. his ERa and WHIP got blown up big time by that ONE game in august against the cubs where he gave up like 10 runs. It was just one of those fluke games that wasn't the norm but hurt his numbers. Take away that cubs game and Morton put up really nice numbers

I doubt he really puts up sub 3 ERA numbers but something I look at what he did in the month of September last season as a good starting point. 3.50-3.70 ERA | 1.20-1.30 WHIP

5. Daniel McCutchen. Tough to really predict McCutchen. I'm assuming he's the #5 simply because he profiles better as a starter than Hart and Hart better as a reliever. McCutchen had a small sample size last season. His BB rates were a little higher than his minors results were. I think his control gets more in line with his minors control he can improve on his 6 game end of seasons stint.

McCutchen has the potential to put up better numbers than Duke and Maholm. My projections were based on his 4.21 | 1.35 line last season

It's not a top of the line Pitching staff but it's very middle of the pack which is good. Minus a firesale trade deadline, I can see these numbers being a consistent over a full season which will be the biggest improvement for this team IMO.

--------------------

I've seen out and about people talking about how this BP is old, but there were DL BP's with guys like Hernandez and Torres etc... who were well into their 30's.

I think this looks like a pretty well rounded BP so far (throwing in the Dotel possibility). I'd have to see some results but at this point, I see what Neal's philosophy was regarding the BP. The results explain his answers and it's not a bad philosophy at all... at least on paper..

-----------------

the thing of course not taken into account is regressing players. We always have that one pitcher that regresses and that one pitcher that has that abnormally good season stats wise (2009 duke, 2008 Maholm, 2007 Snell... etc..) It could be anyone but until this trend breaks I'd figure in someone for this. Duke seems most likely since he had the abnormally good season. The positive with the staff from last year is that even though Maholm didn't duplicate his 2008 numbers, he only came down to his career numbers.
    Kipper, you didn't mention Lincoln. Do you think he doesn't have a chance or is he the first to get called up if someone falters? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    Or, tied for next-to-last in the NL, with only the Nats behind them.... It's a bigger problem on a team that doesn't have any offensive power to counteract it. Hence, if you actually do lower the WHIP, and raise the power numbers, maybe you've got something!
    The Pirates were ranked 12th in WHIP last season in the NL with the Astros, Mets, Nationals and Brewers behind us. 1.39 Whip only takes us up to 10th in the NL. 8th, or middle of the pack in the NL would be a Whip of 1.36, which is obtainable. .06 change can definitely happen.

Power numbers have to increase regardless, but my main thing for the Pirates and I talked about this on the old board and I'll keep reiterating it... the goal for the Pirates is to pull to average across the board. If the Pirates can pull to average across the board in most important stats, they will actually be above average as a whole.

To do that,

Bring that Whip up .06
    Bring the Power Numbers up by 33 homers
    Bring the Batting Average up .008 (from 2.52 - .260)
    Bring up the K/9 numbers for starters from 5.25 to around 6.87
    Bring the ERA for starters up by .25
    Bring the Bullpen WHIP up from 1.50 to 1.36
    Bring up the K/9 numbers for the Bullpen from 7.03 to 7.75
    Bring up the BB/9 numbers for the Bullpen about .69

I harp on those K/9 numbers because we are either last or next to last in K numbers for both starters and relievers and that creates a domino affect in regards to other numbers. WHIP numbers are higher, BAA are higher, BABIP numbers are inconsistent, big burden on the defense etc...

I think that all of the above are obtainable this season except for the Starting Pitching K/9 numbers.

If I get enough time, I'll copy and paste the above into another thread and go through position by position what I personally believe are improvement needs to hit that average plateau

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Kipper, you didn't mention Lincoln. Do you think he doesn't have a chance or is he the first to get called up if someone falters? Or something else?
    not sure why I didn't mention Lincoln.

He's definitely the first call-up and I'm going to go Nostradmus and predict he gets called up to replace one of Maholm or duke who get traded.

As for how Lincoln does? that's anyone's guess pretty much. My only worry about Lincoln (which is the same with Alderson in 2009) is that he's got very low K/9 numbers in the minors, projected to the Majors and we have another contact pitcher on the level of Duke and Maholm just right handed. Duke and Maholm actually had higher K/9 numbers for their minor league career than Lincoln..

Doesn't mean that Lincoln won't do well, but it's just more pressure on the defense to have to be above average for this team to win

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On paper....

--------------------

-----------------

If the Pirates are actually going to compete and make the players within the next 2-3 years...then the only pitchers (starters) listed above who are likely to be here are Ohlendorf and Morton...I am actually (secretly) hoping to see Van Rosenberg in the majors in 2-3 years...shhhh...dont let the secret out. Anyways, the hope, for ME is that the Pirates will draft their future #1 pitcher in this years draft...Anthony Renaudo.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Ranaudo... How would I guess that you'd be creaming over the kid that the mocks are putting on us in the #2 slot ... you just want to see the fun with Scott Boras again

I dunno. He's good.I'm not overly excited about a 6'7" kid that has issues throwing above 93 mph. but he does have a nice skill set. I just don't see future ace. Pitching heavy draft... Ranaudo makes sense

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ranaudo... How would I guess that you'd be creaming over the kid that the mocks are putting on us in the #2 slot ... you just want to see the fun with Scott Boras again

I dunno. He's good.I'm not overly excited about a 6'7" kid that has issues throwing above 93 mph. but he does have a nice skill set. I just don't see future ace. Pitching heavy draft... Ranaudo makes sense
    What mocks?

I think that Ranaudo has improved greatly over his time at LSU. Read the scouting reports. The kid went from solely projection--all he had was a fast ball--and became a kid who developed into a seemingly dominant pitcher for LSU. I understand that he's a two-pitch pitcher--fast ball and curve--but the development of the curve, which is a great pitch for him now, indicates that he can develop other pitches which should bode well for his development in terms of developing a change. If you just look at the kid there still is projection left. Certainly not ALL scouts love him, but I think he could be a good/great starter if developed properly.

Another name I look at to make some strides and possibly sky-rocket up the draft boards is Brandon Workman, Texas. IF he has a breakout season...with his stuff and the upside of his fastball and curve...he could be a guy to watch for as well.

Obviously Drew Pomerantz is another player to watch for as he projects as a solid, and possibly more, #2 starter...a lefty at that.

Just a quick tid-bit...both Ranaudo and Pomerantz struck out 31%+ of the hitters they faced while both walking less than 10%...pretty good statistics.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

There's been random mocks around the web for a little while now for 2010 draft. I've just been checking them out here and there to see who is on them. still a little far for me to start looking into each player.

I only looked into Ranaudo more because he's been linked to the Pirates often so far. Like i said, not a bad kid, just not sure I see Ace, but oh well. Like I said in another thread... Ace's aren't often guys that happen on purpose. I think read that Ranaudo had a decent changup.

Jameson Taillon is another pitcher I've seen floating around the #2-3 spots

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information