Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Enemies

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Natural Enemies

This article is from Steelers Today blog. Just thought I'd see what your opinions are on this. I personally don't have a problem with the colt's

Natural enemies

Now that the Steelers are no longer playing, Steeler Nation is left watching other teams battle in the playoffs (am I the only one who finds himself thinking “we could have beaten that team?”).

In discussing the playoffs with fellow Steelers fans, an interesting topic has come up. I have had disagreements with several fans over which teams it is okay for Steelers fans to support in the playoffs.

I always assumed that Steeler Nation was pretty united about who our enemies are. But now I see that that is not true.

For example, I said on my Facebook page that I was happy to see the Colts destroying the hated Baltimore Ravens in this past weekend’s playoff game. But to my surprise, quite a few fans came back at me and told me that they hated the Colts more than the Ravens.

Personally, I was shocked by this. How could any Steelers fan hate any team more than they hate the Ravens? Steelers and Ravens are like Superman and Lex Luthor, or Spiderman and the Green Goblin, or Casey Hampton and Nutrisystem; they’re natural enemies.

Not only did I think that it was inappropriate to hate any team more than the Ratbirds, I also questioned whether the Colts are even a natural enemy to the Steelers.

So I started assembling a list of the teams that I believe are natural rivals to our beloved Pittsburgh Steelers.

Firstly, I believe that all of the other teams in the AFC North are our natural enemies. Thus, the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, and Cleveland Browns have to be on the list of the Steelers’ natural rivals. Among these division opponents, I believe that the Ravens have earned a spot at the top of the hate list.

The Ravens are brash and arrogant. They have historically had a very strong defense, just like the Steelers, so there is a natural rivalry each season to see which team has the best defense. The two teams play one another twice each season (sometimes more). Moreover, over the past decade (with a few notable exceptions), it has always been the Steelers and Ravens who have fought for AFC North supremacy. I’m not sure if there is any rivalry in football that is as physical as Steelers versus Ravens. When you add in the fact that the Ravens actually put out a bounty on Hines Ward, I don’t think that there is any question that the Baltimore Ravens are enemy #1.

After the AFC North opponents, I think most Steelers fans will agree that the New England Patriots are a natural enemy of the Steelers. The Steelers and Patriots may not be in the same division, but they have had some classic battles in the playoffs. Too often, it was the Patriots who knocked the Steelers out of the AFC Championship picture. Twice they did it right in our own stadium. Belichick’s cheatin’ ways probably cost the Steelers a Super Bowl trophy.

In truth, the Patriots may rank higher on the “hate list” than the Bengals or Browns. Personally, I rank them at #2 behind the Ravens. After all, which team prevented the Steelers from being the team of the 90’s? And they didn’t even do it fair and square. I hate them!

Next on the hate list is the Dallas Cowboys. Like the Patriots, I rank the Cowboys higher on my hate list than either the Bengals or Browns. The Cowboys are like the anti-Steelers. They are glitzy and glamorous while the Steelers are blue collar and down to Earth. The Cowboys have the title of “America’s team”, even though everyone knows that the Steelers are really America’s team.

No two teams have met more often in the Super Bowl than the Steelers and Cowboys. The Steelers have won twice, while the Cowboys won once. Of course the Steelers would have actually won all 3 times if it hadn’t been for a certain former quarterback whose name shall not be mentioned. His untimely interceptions cost the Steelers yet another Lombardi Trophy.

The historic nature of the Steelers-Cowboys rivalry puts them high on my hate list, even though we don’t play them very often. Moreover, the Cowboys are the team that is most likely to match the Steelers’ total of 6 Super Bowl championship. More than anything else, that is reason for Steeler Nation to want the Cowboys to lose every game they play. We all want the Steeler to stand alone in their number of Super Bowl championships for a very long time. Frankly, I hope the Cowboys will still be stuck at 5 Lombardi Trophies in the year 4078.

Upon further review, maybe I hate the Cowboys more than I hate the Patriots. They’re at least tied. Maybe one is 2A and the other is 2B. Regardless, I hate them both.

Some would argue that the Raiders are a natural enemy of the Steelers. I tend to disagree. There was a time when this was clearly true. But Ken Stabler, Dave Casper, Otis Sistrunk, Art Shell, Ray Guy and Fred Biletnikoff are a distant memory. The Raiders have been so bad for so long that it’s hard to hate them. In fact, it’s hard to do anything but pity the poor Raiders fans who have had to deal with Al Davis for all of these years.

Several fans argued that the Colts are also a natural rival for the Steelers. I just don’t see it. We don’t play the Colts very often. We haven’t had many games of historic proportions against them (like Super Bowls or AFC Championship games). They’re not in our division. I just can’t count them as a natural rival. That doesn’t mean that you can’t hate them. You can hate any team you like. But I don’t think the majority of Steeler Nation feels that the Colts are in the same category as the teams that I listed above.

Some have even argued that the reason we should all hate the Colts is that they intentionally lost their last regular season game and prevented the Steelers from making the playoffs. Well if you use that logic, then do you hate the team that lost to the Jets in week 3? How about the team that lost to them in week 7? They each had as much to do with the Jets making the playoffs as the Colts did.

In my opinion, the only team that is responsible for the Steelers not making the playoffs is the Steelers. If they had won just one of the gimme games against the Chiefs, Raiders, or Browns, they’d be in the playoffs. So casting blame elsewhere is unfounded. So in my opinion, the Colts do not qualify as a natural rival to the Steelers.

So now that all of the natural enemies are officially out of the playoffs, the remaining teams are neutral territory for Steeler Nation. Feel free to pull for any team that you like. Besides, no matter which team wins, we all know that the Steelers probably could have beaten them.
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Threads : 122

Default Re: Natural Enemies

I hate the Patriots way more than the Ravens. I hate the Ravens as well, but respect them far more than the Patriots.

I have no problem really with the Colts. Seems in most huge games vs. them we have been the victor. Plus, I don't really dislike Peyton Manning. I think he is probably the best QB in my lifetime (so far) and I personally kind of find him funny. He is funny in most commercials he is in and doesn't really come off as some cocky, smug, bastard. He seems like the type that would sit down and have a beer with a normal dude. Anyone see his SNL skit where he was rifling balls off of little kids in a pickup game in the park and then verbally ripping them when they didn't catch the ball?

I don't want the Jets to win and I don't want Favre to win. Other than that, I got no problem with Brees and the Saints or Indy and Manning getting his
    2nd ring. He deserves it for how great he is.

Threads : 691

I agree with the authors "enemies list". I actually rooted for the Ravens to beat the Pats.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate the Patriots way more than the Ravens. I hate the Ravens as well, but respect them far more than the Patriots.

I have no problem really with the Colts. Seems in most huge games vs. them we have been the victor. Plus, I don't really dislike Peyton Manning. I think he is probably the best QB in my lifetime (so far) and I personally kind of find him funny. He is funny in most commercials he is in and doesn't really come off as some cocky, smug, bastard. He seems like the type that would sit down and have a beer with a normal dude. [HIGH-LIGHT]Anyone see his SNL skit where he was rifling balls off of little kids in a pickup game in the park and then verbally ripping them when they didn't catch the ball? [/HIGH-LIGHT]

I don't want the Jets to win and I don't want Favre to win. Other than that, I got no problem with Brees and the Saints or Indy and Manning getting his
    That was hilarious! Manning is a great QB and does deserve another ring. Do I think he wouldn't lasted very long last year with our O line? No but most QB's wouldn't
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't hate the colt's, plus, I am a big Manning fan. IMO, the best possible Super Bowl would be Indy and New Orleans. My hate rating:
    1. New England
    2. Ravens
    3. Any team with Favre
    4. Cincy
    5. Dallas
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I can't hate the colt's, plus, I am a big Manning fan. IMO, the best possible Super Bowl would be Indy and New Orleans. My hate rating:
    1. New England
    2. Ravens
    3. Any team with Favre
    4. Cincy
    5. Dallas
    I hate Dallas far more than Cincy. Cincy is pretty harmless.

Threads : 88

Cincinnati is like the drunk on a bus. You can't shake the bugger unless they get off the bus first, they're loud, stupid (probably with some form of psychological damage in the mix) and the stench can pervade all.

The, just as escape seems near, they burp in your face and **** down your leg. I have an optimal dislike for the drunk on the bus.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. Pats..they suck..their fans suck..their coach sucks....they cheated us out of a possible ring IMO.
    2. Ravens..... have respect for their D...but they are a "moved" team, as well a rival.
    3a. Cowboys.... their fans and owner suck...self proclaimed America's team.
    3b. Redskins...because of my location, they are the local team...fans suck..arrogant bastards....owner and fans dumber than dirt.
    4. Cincy....only naturally.
    5. Seahawks....hated their whinning about SB officials and bad calls.
    6. Cards....at least the owner who moved them. They have no real fan base.

I like Manning...I dislike Favre (now) because of his manipulation...I dislike Rivers because of his personality.

Threads : 4

I guess I'm just old school but it's hard for me to fathom anyone hating any team more than the Browns. My list...

1. Browns
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Ravens
    4. Cowboys
    5t. Notre Dame
    5t. Rex Ryan
    No one ever says "It's only a game," when their team is winning!

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by First off, love the show View Post
    I guess I'm just old school but it's hard for me to fathom anyone hating any team more than the Browns. My list...

1. Browns
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Ravens
    4. Cowboys
    5t. Notre Dame
    5t. Rex Ryan
    I find it really hard to hate the clowns, I just pity them.

1. Ratbirds/Pat***ts (can't separate 'em)
    2. Cowboys
    3. Bungles/Broncos (there's just something about that orange)
    4. Packers (I don't know why I just find them irritating and the cheesy helmets, what's that about?)

Threads : 87

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    This article is from Steelers Today blog. Just thought I'd see what your opinions are on this. I personally don't have a problem with the colt's

Natural enemies

Now that the Steelers are no longer playing, Steeler Nation is left watching other teams battle in the playoffs (am I the only one who finds himself thinking “we could have beaten that team?”).

In discussing the playoffs with fellow Steelers fans, an interesting topic has come up. I have had disagreements with several fans over which teams it is okay for Steelers fans to support in the playoffs.

I always assumed that Steeler Nation was pretty united about who our enemies are. But now I see that that is not true.

For example, I said on my Facebook page that I was happy to see the Colts destroying the hated Baltimore Ravens in this past weekend’s playoff game. But to my surprise, quite a few fans came back at me and told me that they hated the Colts more than the Ravens.

Personally, I was shocked by this. How could any Steelers fan hate any team more than they hate the Ravens? Steelers and Ravens are like Superman and Lex Luthor, or Spiderman and the Green Goblin, or Casey Hampton and Nutrisystem; they’re natural enemies.

Not only did I think that it was inappropriate to hate any team more than the Ratbirds, I also questioned whether the Colts are even a natural enemy to the Steelers.

So I started assembling a list of the teams that I believe are natural rivals to our beloved Pittsburgh Steelers.

Firstly, I believe that all of the other teams in the AFC North are our natural enemies. Thus, the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, and Cleveland Browns have to be on the list of the Steelers’ natural rivals. Among these division opponents, I believe that the Ravens have earned a spot at the top of the hate list.

The Ravens are brash and arrogant. They have historically had a very strong defense, just like the Steelers, so there is a natural rivalry each season to see which team has the best defense. The two teams play one another twice each season (sometimes more). Moreover, over the past decade (with a few notable exceptions), it has always been the Steelers and Ravens who have fought for AFC North supremacy. I’m not sure if there is any rivalry in football that is as physical as Steelers versus Ravens. When you add in the fact that the Ravens actually put out a bounty on Hines Ward, I don’t think that there is any question that the Baltimore Ravens are enemy #1.

After the AFC North opponents, I think most Steelers fans will agree that the New England Patriots are a natural enemy of the Steelers. The Steelers and Patriots may not be in the same division, but they have had some classic battles in the playoffs. Too often, it was the Patriots who knocked the Steelers out of the AFC Championship picture. Twice they did it right in our own stadium. Belichick’s cheatin’ ways probably cost the Steelers a Super Bowl trophy.

In truth, the Patriots may rank higher on the “hate list” than the Bengals or Browns. Personally, I rank them at #2 behind the Ravens. After all, which team prevented the Steelers from being the team of the 90’s? And they didn’t even do it fair and square. I hate them!

Next on the hate list is the Dallas Cowboys. Like the Patriots, I rank the Cowboys higher on my hate list than either the Bengals or Browns. The Cowboys are like the anti-Steelers. They are glitzy and glamorous while the Steelers are blue collar and down to Earth. The Cowboys have the title of “America’s team”, even though everyone knows that the Steelers are really America’s team.

No two teams have met more often in the Super Bowl than the Steelers and Cowboys. The Steelers have won twice, while the Cowboys won once. Of course the Steelers would have actually won all 3 times if it hadn’t been for a certain former quarterback whose name shall not be mentioned. His untimely interceptions cost the Steelers yet another Lombardi Trophy.

The historic nature of the Steelers-Cowboys rivalry puts them high on my hate list, even though we don’t play them very often. Moreover, the Cowboys are the team that is most likely to match the Steelers’ total of 6 Super Bowl championship. More than anything else, that is reason for Steeler Nation to want the Cowboys to lose every game they play. We all want the Steeler to stand alone in their number of Super Bowl championships for a very long time. Frankly, I hope the Cowboys will still be stuck at 5 Lombardi Trophies in the year 4078.

Upon further review, maybe I hate the Cowboys more than I hate the Patriots. They’re at least tied. Maybe one is 2A and the other is 2B. Regardless, I hate them both.

Some would argue that the Raiders are a natural enemy of the Steelers. I tend to disagree. There was a time when this was clearly true. But Ken Stabler, Dave Casper, Otis Sistrunk, Art Shell, Ray Guy and Fred Biletnikoff are a distant memory. The Raiders have been so bad for so long that it’s hard to hate them. In fact, it’s hard to do anything but pity the poor Raiders fans who have had to deal with Al Davis for all of these years.

Several fans argued that the Colts are also a natural rival for the Steelers. I just don’t see it. We don’t play the Colts very often. We haven’t had many games of historic proportions against them (like Super Bowls or AFC Championship games). They’re not in our division. I just can’t count them as a natural rival. That doesn’t mean that you can’t hate them. You can hate any team you like. But I don’t think the majority of Steeler Nation feels that the Colts are in the same category as the teams that I listed above.

Some have even argued that the reason we should all hate the Colts is that they intentionally lost their last regular season game and prevented the Steelers from making the playoffs. Well if you use that logic, then do you hate the team that lost to the Jets in week 3? How about the team that lost to them in week 7? They each had as much to do with the Jets making the playoffs as the Colts did.

In my opinion, the only team that is responsible for the Steelers not making the playoffs is the Steelers. If they had won just one of the gimme games against the Chiefs, Raiders, or Browns, they’d be in the playoffs. So casting blame elsewhere is unfounded. So in my opinion, the Colts do not qualify as a natural rival to the Steelers.

So now that all of the natural enemies are officially out of the playoffs, the remaining teams are neutral territory for Steeler Nation. Feel free to pull for any team that you like. Besides, no matter which team wins, we all know that the Steelers probably could have beaten them.
    This list pretty much sums it up for me. I used to hate the Browns pretty bad, but.....wait a minute, they Gayvens are the Browns....I HATE THOSE BASTARDS!!!

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post

I have no problem really with the Colts. Seems in most huge games vs. them we have been the victor. Plus, I don't really dislike Peyton Manning. I think he is probably the best QB in my lifetime (so far) and I personally kind of find him funny. He is funny in most commercials he is in and doesn't really come off as some cocky, smug, bastard. He seems like the type that would sit down and have a beer with a normal dude. Anyone see his SNL skit where he was rifling balls off of little kids in a pickup game in the park and then verbally ripping them when they didn't catch the ball?

Bolded Statemen = My SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!!!!!

Once the Bengals, Ravens, Cheatriots and Cowboys went out, I felt relieved as I no longer had a team I hated with a chance to win the Super Bowl.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No team I hate worse the Ravens.

2nd would be the Browns/Bengals

3rd Pats

4th Broncos

5th Just about any team Favre is on.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually don't mind watching these other teams even though we are out of the competition... Yea, I find it aggravating that we are not playing, but I don't have any serious distain for the other teams... Except one...

The Cincinnati Bengals.

I absolutely cannot stand anything about them from top to bottom... I'm a huge USC fan, and they have several ex-Trojans on the squad, and I don't care for them anymore either... I tease the fanidiots around here probably to excess, and it has caused me problems in the past, but I'm not the "Friendly Neighborhood Bungle Basher" for nothing...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I actually don't mind watching these other teams even though we are out of the competition... Yea, I find it aggravating that we are not playing, but I don't have any serious distain for the other teams... Except one...

The Cincinnati Bengals.

I absolutely cannot stand anything about them from top to bottom... I'm a huge USC fan, and [HIGH-LIGHT]they have several ex-Trojans[/HIGH-LIGHT] on the squad, and I don't care for them anymore either... I tease the fanidiots around here probably to excess, and it has caused me problems in the past, but I'm not the "Friendly Neighborhood Bungle Basher" for nothing...
    I'd take Maualuga though. He's pretty good already. Give him a couple years and I'm sure he'll be one of the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information