Thread: Uviedo, Morris and other Stuff..

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Uviedo, Morris and other Stuff..

Morris looking beyond Bay trade
    Pitching prospect, coming off poor 2009, admits 'high expectations' hurt
    Sunday, January 17, 2010
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dejan Kovacevic/Post-Gazette

Bryan Morris pitches during his session Thursday at minicamp in Bradenton. Fla.

All baseball prospects face some pressure, to varying degrees, but Bryan Morris was identified by the Pirates' management as potentially the main piece in a three-team trade in which the other two main pieces were Jason Bay and Manny Ramirez.
    Good luck, kid.

Bay proceeded to become one of the American League's top run producers in Boston, then signed a $65 million contract with the New York Mets, and Ramirez has created a "Mannywood" empire in Los Angeles.

And Morris?

He will turn 23 in two months, he is projected by management to repeat high Class A, and he is coming off a dismal year at Lynchburg in which he went 4-9 with a 5.57 ERA and was suspended by the Pirates for berating an umpire and other on-field behavior deemed "unprofessional" by director of player development Kyle Stark.
    So, forget Bay and Ramirez, as well as the other three players -- Andy LaRoche, Brandon Moss and Craig Hansen -- the Pirates received in the trade. The priority for Morris, heading into 2010, is simply to regain the elite-prospect status this 6-foot-3 right-hander once enjoyed.

"It's almost impossible not to think about being part of the trade, but I'm trying not to," Morris said this week at minicamp in Bradenton, Fla. "You can look at it both ways. If you succeed, they're going to pat you on the back and say, 'Great job, man.' If you don't do as well, they're going to think they wasted Jason Bay. Yeah, there are high expectations from the trade, and I've let that bother me in the past. But now, I'm here to do one thing, and that's pitch."
    Morris will start, he said, by focusing on perhaps his lone highlight of 2009, pitching 6 2/3 decent innings -- three runs despite 11 hits -- to win the decisive fifth game of the Carolina League semifinal against Salem. The Hillcats went on to win the title.

"The playoff game is the No. 1 thing, especially because that team just killed me in the regular season. That was a big boost because all year long it had been a struggle. For me to step up with the playoffs on the line, that felt good."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Morris' specific emphasis -- as per management's emphasis -- will be on fastball command. The Pirates maintain that they will not promote pitching prospects until they master the most basic pitch, even if that means prohibiting them from leaning on breaking stuff.

The latter happened with Morris last season, and he apparently did not like it.

"I was working off my curve a lot, without a lot of control of the fastball. It was tough for me to grasp at first. We had our arguments back and forth. That, in and of itself, led to inconsistency in my game. I was battling the system when I shouldn't have. But now, I know what I've got to do."
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Buried treasure

• The only injuries of the minicamp that ended yesterday were minor -- Joel Hanrahan missed a session to elbow tightness, and another reliever, Vinnie Chulk, had a sore neck -- and manager John Russell yesterday expressed satisfaction that the team is on course for a fairly healthy spring training: "This was very productive."

• To watch Jeff Clement take grounders at first base -- and Russell did again yesterday -- it would appear the player and the coaching staff have plenty of work to do to be ready by April 5.

[HIGH-LIGHT]• Another pitching prospect on the 40-man roster, wiry right-hander Ronald Uviedo, will switch from starting to relief this year in Class AA Altoona. He went 5-5 with a 3.36 ERA in 18 starts for Class A Lynchburg last season. "I love to be in the bullpen," Uviedo said. "That's my game."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• Newly signed outfielder Ryan Church, on PNC Park: "It's beautiful. I've thought about that every time I've played there. What a great place that will be to go to work every day."

• Hard-throwing left-hander Donnie Veal will take a step back this year. No longer a Rule 5 roster requirement that he stays with the Pirates, he will be a starter rather than reliever. That apparently is OK with him, especially after a highly encouraging Arizona Fall League stint in which he went 3-1 with a 2.14 ERA in seven starts, with 22 strikeouts and 7 walks. "Everything was just going right, and once that happens ..." he said. "I just got into a rhythm, and that's what happens when you start. I'm really looking forward to it, to be honest."

• By the time the Pirates return to Bradenton for spring training, they will have an expanded clubhouse at Mc Kechnie Field, notably a new dining area and more room for equipment storage.

• Thirty-one days until pitchers and catchers report.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10017...#ixzz0dGSfCztM
    Last edited by Kipper; Jan-21-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Default Re: Yviedo, Morris and other Stuff..

I had a feekling Uviedo would eventualy move back to the bullpen. Nice in that it adds a really good quality arm to the BP for the future.

Combine Uviedo, Ascanio (if he over comes injury), Moskos, Moreno... those are some young BP guys right around the corner and there's others that Id din't even mention. It really makes some sense of What NH did this season with BP construction. the 1 year contracts to the old guys, not taking risks and chances on guys like Fatt Capps etc... knowing that he's got some intriguing, young BP arms about a season away.

The bit about Morris was interesting in that it pointed out the whole "development" thing that us fans don't know about, that can likely affect the very numbers and stats that we all rely heavily on to gauge a player. That's not to say that Morris pitched better than the numbers showed... just that, if he's being forced to work on something more and lay off something else that is better and he's more comfortable with, then there's a great chance his entire game and numbers are effected by this. however, it doesn't matter much. If he can bring up the thing that needs improved, logically, he'll be a better all around pitcher...

this can go hand in hand with other positions as well like hitting. They might be working on a guys swing, getting him to swing flatter or with more of an upper cut, trying to get a specifric backspin, getting him to not pull etc... all of those things can kill a lot of styats for a player, but the guys doing the coaching and development aren't caring about the overall stats as much as they are watching for improvement on specifics....

so while we gripe or ***** about why someone hasn't been promoted or who the hell this guy got promoted etc... the answer most likely lies somewhere in developmental specifics that we have no idea about

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Default Re: Uviedo, Morris and other Stuff..

This season is "do or die" for Moskos, IMO...
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

if nothing else he might end up being packaged in a trade come july. either way hope he improves.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 122

• To watch Jeff Clement take grounders at first base -- and Russell did again yesterday -- it would appear the player and the coaching staff have plenty of work to do to be ready by April 5.

I saw an article where Clement was asked about taking grounders or something this offseason and he said he couldn't cause there was a bunch of snow in Iowa or wherever.....

.....Then I read where Pedro Alvarez has been at some complex with primo athletes working his butt off getting in shape and getting ready for the season.......

.....You would think with a MLB starting job on the line, one would find the motivation to think outside the box and find an indoor facility. I live in PGH where it is freezing and, up until this week, there was snow on the ground. I also know there is a complex right down the street from where I work that has indoor fields. Just saying, seems like bull****.

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a feekling Uviedo would eventualy move back to the bullpen. Nice in that it adds a really good quality arm to the BP for the future.

Combine Uviedo, Ascanio (if he over comes injury), Moskos, Moreno... those are some young BP guys right around the corner and there's others that Id din't even mention. It really makes some sense of What NH did this season with BP construction. the 1 year contracts to the old guys, not taking risks and chances on guys like Fatt Capps etc... knowing that he's got some intriguing, young BP arms about a season away.

The bit about Morris was interesting in that it pointed out the whole "development" thing that us fans don't know about, that can likely affect the very numbers and stats that we all rely heavily on to gauge a player. That's not to say that Morris pitched better than the numbers showed... just that, if he's being forced to work on something more and lay off something else that is better and he's more comfortable with, then there's a great chance his entire game and numbers are effected by this. however, it doesn't matter much. If he can bring up the thing that needs improved, logically, he'll be a better all around pitcher...

this can go hand in hand with other positions as well like hitting. They might be working on a guys swing, getting him to swing flatter or with more of an upper cut, trying to get a specifric backspin, getting him to not pull etc... all of those things can kill a lot of styats for a player, but the guys doing the coaching and development aren't caring about the overall stats as much as they are watching for improvement on specifics....

so while we gripe or ***** about why someone hasn't been promoted or who the hell this guy got promoted etc... the answer most likely lies somewhere in developmental specifics that we have no idea about
    Uviedo has been a reliever his whole career so the switch back was inevitable. NH’s stated goal was to get the pitchers with the best arms more innings…that’s what last year was about for Uviedo.

Also Moreno has a long way to go. He won’t be able to blow his big FB by advanced hitters…he needs to develop some semblance of a secondary pitch or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Uviedo has been a reliever his whole career so the switch back was inevitable. NH’s stated goal was to get the pitchers with the best arms more innings…that’s what last year was about for Uviedo.

Also Moreno has a long way to go. He won’t be able to blow his big FB by advanced hitters…he needs to develop some semblance of a secondary pitch or 2.
    Aren't they working on the changeup with Moreno? As a BP guy, that secondary pitch won't have to be dominating or more than average

I knew... ok, I HOPED that Uviedo was going to go back into the Pen. which is what you quoted me saying Up until now, we've had no good feel on what NH was doing with moving BP guys to starting roles.. whether he'd move them back, keep trying to transform them into starters etc... We have a better idea now... but still good for the future of the BP

[HIGH-LIGHT]Aren't they working on the changeup with Moreno[/HIGH-LIGHT]? As a BP guy, that secondary pitch won't have to be dominating or more than average

I knew... ok, I HOPED that Uviedo was going to go back into the Pen. which is what you quoted me saying Up until now, we've had no good feel on what NH was doing with moving BP guys to starting roles.. whether he'd move them back, keep trying to transform them into starters etc... We have a better idea now... but still good for the future of the BP
    They better.

Moreno also needs to have some idea where his ball is going!

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    They better.

Moreno also needs to have some idea where his ball is going!
    He had an 11.4 K/9 and a 2.8 BB/9 last season. His control is fine. That's the highest his BB/9 has ever been. A very low H/9 number, Low WHIP, ERA...

I'm not seeing what you are, but you've probably watched him in person. I'm just going by numbers

He had an 11.4 K/9 and a 2.8 BB/9 last season. His control is fine. That's the highest his BB/9 has ever been. A very low H/9 number, Low WHIP, ERA...

I'm not seeing what you are, but you've probably watched him in person. I'm just going by numbers
    I saw him several times pitching multiple innings last year. I’m not trying to discount Moreno as a prospect at all but what I saw was a slightly over aged pitcher dominating Sally batters. He threw a lot of pitches per AB that were all over the place but he still managed to get inexperienced batters to swing and miss producing the numbers you cited. This is where the internet GM’s get into trouble. They look at the pure numbers but sometimes they don’t tell the whole story.

At this point in his career he is definitely much more of a thrower than a pitcher and to go anywhere he needs to be more of the later.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information