Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pirates and Dotel Agree to 1 Year Deal

Pirates, Dotel agree to one year plus option
    Veteran reliever almost surely will be closer to replace Capps

Thursday, January 21, 2010
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jacob de Golish/Getty Images
    Former White Sox pitcher Octavio Dotel has agreed to terms with the Pirates.

The Pirates and free-agent reliever Octavio Dotel agreed to terms on a one-year contract plus a club option for 2011, a source directly involved in the talks said last night.

The agreement is pending a physical scheduled for today in Pittsburgh and, if Dotel clears, he could sign by the afternoon.
    Financial terms were not immediately available, but Dotel made $6 million with the Chicago White Sox last year, and his new salary is expected to be about half that.

Still, it should qualify as the Pirates' most expensive free-agent signing this winter, easily topping outfielder Ryan Church's guaranteed $1.5 million. Their most expensive acquisition was the trade for second baseman Akinori Iwamura, who will make $4.85 million.

Dotel, 36, almost surely will become the Pirates' closer, ahead of internal candidates Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek. A vacancy was left at closer with Matt Capps' release in December. That was one prominent reason, according to the source, Dotel chose the Pirates over other teams that made offers.

Dotel has not closed since early 2007, but he was a reliable arm for the White Sox the past two seasons, posting ERAs of 3.76 and 3.32 over 132 appearances. He also maintained quality a strikeout rate in that span -- 10.83 per nine innings -- that indicates he has fended off decline. His career numbers: 3.73 ERA and 83 saves in 122 opportunities.
    A spot on the full 40-man roster must be cleared before Dotel can sign.

Dotel might leave town with more than a contract, too: His wife, Massiel, is pregnant with the couple's first child and expecting any day, and she had planned to accompany him to Pittsburgh. There is a chance, as per a source close to the family, that she could stay here to give birth.

Dejan Kovacevic can be reached at dkovacevic@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10021...#ixzz0dGZ38JaG

Threads : 122

Default Re: Pirates and Dotel Agree to 1 Year Deal

This is also from the buccos blog on the post gazette....pretty cool statements....

On a semi-related note, a former teammate of Dotel sent me an unsolicited text a couple days ago, in anticipation of his arrival and wrote: [HIGH-LIGHT]"Great move by Pirates. He can pitch and he's a great person."[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    A scout sent a text, too: [HIGH-LIGHT]"Love the move for the Pirates. Seriously."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

As you might gather, the latter guy felt the need to explain his sentiment because he tends to be skeptical.

I do not hear things like this all that often about any potential signing, and I very seldom hear them unsolicited. It will be interesting to see if the player and person is a match for those descriptions.

Threads : 24

It's interesting that Huntington seems to have taken the BP so seriously, stocking up on veterans and even shelling out some cash for them. I don't understand why he thinks acquiring a few veteran free agents who have proven talent is only important in the bullpen?

Threads : 36

It is the only area where prospects were not ready to start the season.

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's interesting that Huntington seems to have taken the BP so seriously, stocking up on veterans and even shelling out some cash for them. I don't understand why he thinks acquiring a few veteran free agents who have proven talent is only important in the bullpen?
    Maybe he thinks the 2010 team has the potential to be in the race for the Central Division title past April 20th?
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post
    Maybe he thinks the 2010 team has the potential to be in the race for the Central Division title past April 20th?
    Or maybe he just is thinking that the development of the young team depends greatly on not having their hopes dashed every game after the starting pitcher leaves and the pen blows it.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 138

From Dejan...

By Dejan Kovacevic | 1:57 p.m. Thursday

The Pirates just announced that free-agent reliever Octavio Dotel passed his physical and signed his contract, one year plus a club option. Still no financial details available.

To clear space on the full 40-man roster, the team designated for assignment reliever Anthony Claggett.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Or maybe he just is thinking that the development of the young team depends greatly on not having their hopes dashed every game after the starting pitcher leaves and the pen blows it.
    Doubt it. At least I hope this isn't true. The last thing a GM should worry about is players "hopes and dreams". Screw them, they're making hundreds of thousands and millions to play a game.

What Lup said was closer to the actual truth. Our younger BP help is about a year away and we had holes in the BP. That easily equals - shopping in Free Agency and Trades possibilities.

I think someone else mentioned sarcastically (I think) that Huntington signed these free agent vets to big money and was suggesting he should've done the same with the big roster... I don't know if there's some short term memory loss or something happening but I think Crosby + Iwamura + Church = more than NH has spent on the BP this offseason. Let's also not forget that these "vets" brought in for the BP are all on 1-2 year contracts, might all be 1 year contracts... can't remember. They aren't blocking any younger players either. Comparing apples to oranges

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

Yeah...that's what I thought too.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

I'm predicting the team will be playing meaningful games well into the first week of May. Mark my words!
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

I'm predicting the team will be playing meaningful games well into the first week of May. Mark my words!

I'm still in agreement with ya

Threads : 36

I really like the depth of this bullpen now. I think this team could surprise. I'm thinking there is no blackhole in the rotation anymore. The pen should keep the team in games instead of giving them away.

It's funny a month or so ago the pen looked like a disaster, now it looks to be a strength.

Threads : 691

[HIGH-LIGHT]Doubt it. At least I hope this isn't true. The last thing a GM should worry about is players "hopes and dreams". Screw them, they're making hundreds of thousands and millions to play a game.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

What Lup said was closer to the actual truth. Our younger BP help is about a year away and we had holes in the BP. That easily equals - shopping in Free Agency and Trades possibilities.

I think someone else mentioned sarcastically (I think) that Huntington signed these free agent vets to big money and was suggesting he should've done the same with the big roster... I don't know if there's some short term memory loss or something happening but I think Crosby + Iwamura + Church = more than NH has spent on the BP this offseason. Let's also not forget that these "vets" brought in for the BP are all on 1-2 year contracts, might all be 1 year contracts... can't remember. They aren't blocking any younger players either. Comparing apples to oranges
    Sorry Kip gotta totally disagree with you on this. A big part of baseball is mental,even the best players fail more than they succeed the game is that tough. Just because they make alot of money doesn't mean there're not human.If a starting pitcher turns in a stellar effort you can bet he'll feel alot better if you have a capable reliever coming in to hold the lead positive, results = confidence. With a team young team like even a few wins make a huge difference, 75 wins over 70 would make a big difference. You stated the Pirates tanked the second half of the last few seasons because of fire sales disrupting clubhouse chemistry (and I agree) but a large part of that is mental also. All I'm sayingis anything that helps a young players mental out look is positive and part of the growing process.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

I'm still in agreement with ya
    Based on the way things seem to be heading do you think the 2010 Pirates are a better defensive/pitching team than the 2009 team? The prospect of Clement at 1st base is the only negative I can see at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information