Thread: Defensive Issues

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Defensive Issues

I didn't what to pain my brain thinking about or talking about the Yeower Play so I figured I would bring something else up that is hurting this team right now...

Defense.

I'm going back to that 2nd Devils game of the season where their forecheck went straight to the net, came in 2 men strong (probably a 2-1-2) and cause havoc on our defense and Fleury... since that game, I've seen pretty much every team copy this same style against us.

Our shots on goal against has risen for being in 26 range to being in the 29's in this period of time. Watching the games, the defense just collapses and backs up. There's no box formed around Fleury like other teams employ for their goalie, the forwards are doing a terrible job of sticking with their guy they are supposed to cover on back checks.

At first I thought that maybe missing a big body like Gill in the crease was it... but nah. It's definitely not Scuderi cause Scuds was a Soff player who would either shadow someone or did well on the PK... I'm not sure he makes a difference with what is happening now. I don't even think it's a scheme thing either. We've seen it work.

question is... how do you realistically fix it? When I say "realistically" that means excluding trades as the only option.

Threads : 210

Default Re: Defensive Issues

not really sure how this defense became that soff under Bylsma

maybe Bylsma should phone M.T. for advise ( HA HA HA )

or sign big Laraque again , and tell him to protect the goalie

seriousely , i dont really know but it's suck as the team defense are so bad

and they better to fix it so or forget going deep in the play-off

and it's suck.......

Threads : 6

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't what to pain my brain thinking about or talking about the Yeower Play so I figured I would bring something else up that is hurting this team right now...

Defense.

I'm going back to that 2nd Devils game of the season where their forecheck went straight to the net, came in 2 men strong (probably a 2-1-2) and cause havoc on our defense and Fleury... since that game, I've seen pretty much every team copy this same style against us.

Our shots on goal against has risen for being in 26 range to being in the 29's in this period of time. Watching the games, the defense just collapses and backs up. There's no box formed around Fleury like other teams employ for their goalie, the forwards are doing a terrible job of sticking with their guy they are supposed to cover on back checks.

At first I thought that maybe missing a big body like Gill in the crease was it... but nah. It's definitely not Scuderi cause Scuds was a Soff player who would either shadow someone or did well on the PK... I'm not sure he makes a difference with what is happening now. I don't even think it's a scheme thing either. We've seen it work.

question is... how do you realistically fix it? When I say "realistically" that means excluding trades as the only option.
    It's a collapse of total team defense. However, it all starts with the defense. The scheme is to give the opposition the zone and cover. The Caps game was a perfect example of how not to win. The Caps thrive on offensive pressure and allowing them free reign into the o-zone is insane. Teams have studied the Pens and have found the magic pill. It's time to change some philosophy and tactics.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's more mental than anything. And I don't know how you fix that other than just getting over it, and making a solid concious effort to play some sound D. If you remember back in Oct./Nov. the defense was pretty good. Where has McKee been? I haven't noticed him (or anyone else) blocking nearly as many shots, which has only helped to increase our shots against per game.

I think we do miss Gil a bit. Sure, he was slow as ****, but you can't make up for someone who took away as much ice as he did being 6'7", or whatever the **** he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    I think it's more mental than anything. And I don't know how you fix that other than just getting over it, and making a solid concious effort to play some sound D. If you remember back in Oct./Nov. the defense was pretty good. Where has McKee been? I haven't noticed him (or anyone else) blocking nearly as many shots, which has only helped to increase our shots against per game.

I think we do miss Gil a bit. Sure, he was slow as ****, but you can't make up for someone who took away as much ice as he did being 6'7", or whatever the **** he is.
    You have to hold the blue line when it's warranted. If you're man on man, take the body and don't allow the opposition a free walk into the zone. It doesn't have to be a bone crushing check, just separate the man from the puck, then release.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Defense has issues... the YP has issues... Malkin isn't scoring... Gogo isn't scoring... The lists goes on and on.

IMO, the bottom line is motivation. We all saw what the Pens did at the beginning of the season! They won all the close games and dominated the rest of them!!! But then injuries started piling up and the players (and maybe even management) realized that if they play "Balls Out" all season, they won't last. I honestly think that the players are giving 85-90% right now... waiting to get their backs to the wall, or for the playoffs to start (which ever comes first!) I also think the upcoming Olympics is a factor. I look for the Pens to kick it up a notch after the Olympics! Hopefully some of these short comings will disappear. Although with the personell on D and Mike Yeo's YP scheme... the Pens may never be great at either of those. But I think they will get better. The fact that Shero and Bylsma haven't panicked with roster moves makes me think that they know what's going on.

...But it sucks being a fan right now!!!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everyone has some solid points. I can't really argue with any of them... who knows, it could be a little of everything combined...

although I do sort of disagree with the Craps as a pressure team. The Devils are a pressure team, the Caps are more of a transition team. They are fast, quick and goto the net. i think of a team like the Devils or the Pens as pressure teams, teams that work down low. The Craps aren't much of a low board team that cycles. They shoot and pounce or drive straight to the net.

Granted, that's an issue for the Pens... teams are going straight to the net with the Pens and we're allowing them. Forwards are failing to cover the right man in their zones (like IHUN pointed out) and the crease is given up way too easily. You'd think this has to bother the **** out of grit guys like Bylsma and Granatio on the bench

Threads : 210

the big problem start with the coaches ( all 3 of them )

M. T . was a little to tough with the players and some players hated to play for him ( soff players)

the get Bylsma ( a friend with the players ) it's worked good for a while .
    specially as the players were happy ( for the coach change )

but a coach to friend with the players , ( well you get the result )

players let go the good work , Bylsma is my ok , ect ect

Bylsma is better to get a little more tough on players or his coaching job maybe in danger for next season

players will get way less funny if they had to play for Mike Keenan
    Last edited by Genofan#1; Jan-23-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genofan#1 View Post
    the big problem start with the coaches ( all 3 of them )

M. T . was a little to tough with the players and some players hated to play for him ( soff players)

the get Bylsma ( a friend with the players ) it's worked good for a while .
    specially as the players were happy ( for the coach change )

but a coach to friend with the players , ( well you get the result )

players let go the good work , Bylsma is my ok , ect ect

Bylsma is better to get a little more tough on players or his coaching job maybe in danger for next season

players will get way less funny if they had to play for Mike Keenan
    You have a valid point if it's true that Bylsma is coddling the players. I personally don't think he is. While an extreme in that direction isn't good, Keenan's style doesn't take you to the promised land, either.

Right now I honestly don't see any player not giving effort. I see mistakes, and perhaps some bench time is warranted for excessive mental errors. I'd like to see some playing time for a couple of players reduced and see what happens. I'd rather take that approach first instead of scratching anyone just yet.

However, my point still stands about the defense giving up the blue line and letting other teams in the easy way.
    Last edited by ihateusernames; Jan-23-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information