Thread: Rocco DeMaro's Caravan Kickoff Podcast

Threads : 197

Default Rocco DeMaro's Caravan Kickoff Podcast

If you missed it on the radio earlier, WPGB got the podcast up pretty quickly. Rocco did a live show from the first date of the Winter Caravan at 7 Springs that featured a ton of interviews. Nothing groundbreaking covered, but a nice start to the actual action that should be coming. Caravan through the end of the week, Piratefest over the weekend, then just two weeks until Spring Training.

Hour 1 featuring:
    Frank Coonelly
    Andrew McCutchen
    Ross Ohlendorf
    Garrett Jones

Hour 2 featuring:
    Charlie Morton (this was probably the longest player interview of the day and covers a ton of ground, much of it not baseball related)
    John Russell (another long one, a lot of talk about his playing days as well)

Highlights:
    Andrew McCutchen is the first player of the year to declare himself in the best shape of his life. Says late last year he dropped down to around 170 pounds due to the grind of playing the long season for the first time, and this year he's coming in about 5 pounds of muscle heavier than he started last season. McCutchen also plays a mean Guitar Hero and agreed to race Rocco at Spring Training.

Ohlendorf, Daniel McCutchen, Kevin Hart, Evan Meek, and Jason Jaramillo would give each other math problems to do during the season!

Garrett Jones credits his improvement in 2009 to the development of his mental game rather than any specific physical change. "Gun to his head" Jones would choose first base over right field.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rocco DeMaro's Caravan Kickoff Podcast

thanks Jnn! . I 'd have never looked for this stuff. I should get some time around lunch to take a listen.

If you can... refresh this thread with updates on further podcasts regarding this. It wouldn't be a big deal but I always forget that 104.7 exists as a radio station and website

New one from Piratefest Saturday. I was in attendance for some of this, mainly just the Huntington interview and the ending, but I got to hang out with Rocco for a few minutes. Good time. There was a Friday show too, but they don't have that one on the website yet.

Hour 1 featuring Coonelly, Huntington
    http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...t1.30.10-1.mp3

Hour 2 featuring Garrett Jones
    http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...t1.30.10-2.mp3

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That Coonelly/Huntington interview is very good, especially Huntington's. He talks about the defense and the balance between run prevention and run addition which was something I mentioned a while back on the old board about eliminating big holes and bringing the offense and defense into a gray/average area so that you can create the above averages or pluses that puts a team over.

What I found interesting was Huntington mentioned that Garrett Jones was adjusting to something .

LOL@Pedro Alvarez has bad genes. NH basically said that Pedro is naturally fat

Said that Tabata is launching balls onto roofs at Bradenton recently. Says the raw power is definitely there they just are trying to figure out how to tap it. Mentioned that he was running above average times by the end of last season, indicating that his prior injuries appear to be disappearing.

Talked about how the players are all in great shape and talked about how Evan Meek looks ripped

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That Coonelly/Huntington interview is very good, especially Huntington's. He talks about the defense and the balance between run prevention and run addition which was something I mentioned a while back on the old board about eliminating big holes and bringing the offense and defense into a gray/average area so that you can create the above averages or pluses that puts a team over.

What I found interesting was Huntington mentioned that Garrett Jones was adjusting to something .

LOL@Pedro Alvarez has bad genes. NH basically said that Pedro is naturally fat

Said that Tabata is launching balls onto roofs at Bradenton recently. Says the raw power is definitely there they just are trying to figure out how to tap it. Mentioned that he was running above average times by the end of last season, indicating that his prior injuries appear to be disappearing.

Talked about how the players are all in great shape and talked about how Evan Meek looks ripped
    Alvarez isn't fat he has a big *** and thick thighs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another Tabata-related note: In the PG Q&A today Chuck Finder says that the Pirates had Tabata go to the AFL and try to focus on shortening his swing. I hadn't really heard about it before, but it strikes me as very interesting. Seems like maybe that was an instruction for him the full year. In both the AFL this year and all year long in the regular season Tabata's strikeouts were way down from where they had been. Seems like he has figured out something with regard to just making contact. Maybe now that he has that area figured out they'll have him shift his focus elsewhere at the plate.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information