Thread: Memories will last if Steelers' Parker doesn't

Threads : 691

Default Memories will last if Steelers' Parker doesn't

Memories will last if Steelers' Parker doesn't
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Matt Freed/Post-GazetteWillie Parker's 75-yard touchdown run in Super Bowl XL was the longest in Super Bowl history.Some of Willie Parker's memories will probably be emblazoned forever in the minds of his teammates and fans.

The first of his 26 career 100-yard rushing performances in the 2004 season finale in Buffalo, the game that convinced Bill Cowher he needed to seriously consider Parker as a starter, not a reserve.

A 75-yard touchdown run on a play called Counter 34 Pike early in the second half of Super Bowl XL in Detroit -- the longest touchdown run in Super Bowl history.

Setting a franchise single-game record that had stood for 36 years when he rushed for 223 yards in a Dec. 12, 2007, game against the Cleveland Browns.

Leading the National Football League in rushing with two games remaining and breaking his leg in Week 15 in a Thursday night game in St. Louis in 2007.

"He won two Super Bowls with us," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "He'll always be a Steeler for life, in my opinion."

Even if he is no longer with the Steelers.

That possibility is creeping closer to reality because Parker, a former two-time Pro Bowl running back, is an unrestricted free agent who sounds as if he has played his last game with the Steelers.

After losing his starting job to Rashard Mendenhall in Week 4, Parker played sparingly the rest of the season, even though he might have gone out in grand style when he rushed for 74 of his 91 yards on the final game-preserving drive in Miami.

At age 29 and with an average of 244 carries in each of his past five seasons, he wants to, and thinks he still can, be a starting running back in the NFL. Even though his 5-foot-10, 209-pound frame has absorbed a lot of blows.

"I'm a starter always looked at myself as starter, that's what I want to be," said Parker, who was an undrafted free agent from North Carolina in 2004. "So, till I hang up pads, that's how I'm going to look at myself. Rashard is a great back and he had a great season and, hopefully, he'll carry it on.

"I had six great years here with the Steelers. We won two Super Bowls. I want to thank the organization and thank everybody. You know how the business goes. I love these guys. I love the organization. I'm a Steeler by heart. We'll see what happens in the future."

The development of Mendenhall, who rushed for 1,108 yards on 242 carries after an injury shortened rookie season, has likely hastened Parker's departure.

It is likely he could return to the team at a value significantly less than the $3.6 million he was paid this season. But it is more likely he can land with another team who is seeking a former two-time Pro Bowl running back with six years experience.

If Parker leaves, the Steelers will have to find a replacement. Their offseason roster includes several candidates, including Isaac Redman, or possibly Justin Vincent, both members of the practice squad.

But they might have to use the middle to late rounds of the April draft to get a backup for Mendenhall.

And that is not a far-fetched possibility.

In the past three years, backs such as Cincinnati's Bernard Scott (sixth round), Indianapolis' Mike Hart (6), Miami's Lex Hilliard (6) and Ahmad Bradshaw of the New York Giants (7) have all been plucked in later rounds.

"It's a business," Ward said. "If Willie's not here, he had a phenomenal career with us. There's still a lot of football left in Willie. Hopefully he'll end up here."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10026...#ixzz0dixkfI90
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 60

Default Re: Memories will last if Steelers' Parker doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Memories will last if Steelers' Parker doesn't
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Matt Freed/Post-GazetteWillie Parker's 75-yard touchdown run in Super Bowl XL was the longest in Super Bowl history.Some of Willie Parker's memories will probably be emblazoned forever in the minds of his teammates and fans.

The first of his 26 career 100-yard rushing performances in the 2004 season finale in Buffalo, the game that convinced Bill Cowher he needed to seriously consider Parker as a starter, not a reserve.

A 75-yard touchdown run on a play called Counter 34 Pike early in the second half of Super Bowl XL in Detroit -- the longest touchdown run in Super Bowl history.

Setting a franchise single-game record that had stood for 36 years when he rushed for 223 yards in a Dec. 12, 2007, game against the Cleveland Browns.

Leading the National Football League in rushing with two games remaining and breaking his leg in Week 15 in a Thursday night game in St. Louis in 2007.

"He won two Super Bowls with us," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "He'll always be a Steeler for life, in my opinion."

Even if he is no longer with the Steelers.

That possibility is creeping closer to reality because Parker, a former two-time Pro Bowl running back, is an unrestricted free agent who sounds as if he has played his last game with the Steelers.

After losing his starting job to Rashard Mendenhall in Week 4, Parker played sparingly the rest of the season, even though he might have gone out in grand style when he rushed for 74 of his 91 yards on the final game-preserving drive in Miami.

At age 29 and with an average of 244 carries in each of his past five seasons, he wants to, and thinks he still can, be a starting running back in the NFL. Even though his 5-foot-10, 209-pound frame has absorbed a lot of blows.

"I'm a starter always looked at myself as starter, that's what I want to be," said Parker, who was an undrafted free agent from North Carolina in 2004. "So, till I hang up pads, that's how I'm going to look at myself. Rashard is a great back and he had a great season and, hopefully, he'll carry it on.

"I had six great years here with the Steelers. We won two Super Bowls. I want to thank the organization and thank everybody. You know how the business goes. I love these guys. I love the organization. I'm a Steeler by heart. We'll see what happens in the future."

The development of Mendenhall, who rushed for 1,108 yards on 242 carries after an injury shortened rookie season, has likely hastened Parker's departure.

It is likely he could return to the team at a value significantly less than the $3.6 million he was paid this season. But it is more likely he can land with another team who is seeking a former two-time Pro Bowl running back with six years experience.

If Parker leaves, the Steelers will have to find a replacement. Their offseason roster includes several candidates, including Isaac Redman, or possibly Justin Vincent, both members of the practice squad.

But they might have to use the middle to late rounds of the April draft to get a backup for Mendenhall.

And that is not a far-fetched possibility.

In the past three years, backs such as Cincinnati's Bernard Scott (sixth round), Indianapolis' Mike Hart (6), Miami's Lex Hilliard (6) and Ahmad Bradshaw of the New York Giants (7) have all been plucked in later rounds.

"It's a business," Ward said. "If Willie's not here, he had a phenomenal career with us. There's still a lot of football left in Willie. Hopefully he'll end up here."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10026...#ixzz0dixkfI90

Parker is out of the league in 2 years.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sad truth is RBs have short NFL careers due to the hammering they take. Parker came outa nowhere and played great for us. He deserves alot of appreciation. But if he wants a big payday we should let him go. For the right price keep him.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Sad truth is RBs have short NFL careers due to the hammering they take. Parker came outa nowhere and played great for us. He deserves alot of appreciation. But if he wants a big payday we should let him go. For the right price keep him.
    I agree man. If he's willing to take a "hometown discount" and know his role as RB2 then I'd like to see him back. If not, and that will most likely be the case, thanks and so long.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    I agree man. If he's willing to take a "hometown discount" and know his role as RB2 then I'd like to see him back. If not, and that will most likely be the case, thanks and so long.
    Agreed, but a sincere "standing o" to Willie for his service!

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    Agreed, but a sincere "standing o" to Willie for his service!
    x2 Bro. Nothing but love for that guy. **** anyone else who says otherwise. He gave us some great moments.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    x2 Bro. Nothing but love for that guy. **** anyone else who says otherwise. He gave us some great moments.
    I feel you buddy!!! He was awsome for us...unfortunately MT's plan was to run him until his "wheels fall off"....me thinks they done fell off

I'll never forget the game against NO...I believe it was November '06. I was sitting in the "closed" endzone. He had one helluva****in game!!! He broke at least two 60+ runs... I also witnessed the 80yd TD in Cleveland on xmas eve '05. NFL Films will most-certainly feature FWP in a special titled "Undrafted Awsomeness"...if I had my way. Good luck to FWP!!!

Threads : 407

Hopefully he will come to his senses and realize that Pittsburgh could be his home and he can retire a Steeler. He needs to talk to Charlie, Bettis or Hines. He has enough left to be a good strong backup. And he would be one play away from being a starter and everyone knows that can happen. His mind may tell him his is still a starter, but his eyes need to look at film. Maybe his manager can give him some advice, unless he is a greedy bastard chasing the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]I feel you buddy!!! He was awsome for us...unfortunately MT's plan was to run him until his "wheels fall off"....me thinks they done fell off[/HIGH-LIGHT]

I'll never forget the game against NO...I believe it was November '06. I was sitting in the "closed" endzone. He had one helluva****in game!!! He broke at least two 60+ runs... I also witnessed the 80yd TD in Cleveland on xmas eve '05. NFL Films will most-certainly feature FWP in a special titled "Undrafted Awsomeness"...if I had my way. Good luck to FWP!!!
    The present life of an NFL back. So be it. Wether it was "MT's plan" or not it is irrelevant... I was at that NO game..

Threads : 10

Willie's going elsewhere. I have no problem with him, thanks for the memories Willie. As many have stated, it's a business. Your **** right, it's also a business decision for Willie, he's not going to accept a **** hometown discount. He has to look out for himself, his family, and his future as well. He'll sign for a decent amount somewhere else.

Threads : 1817

I'm trying to think of the tams he could go to as a legit starter and none are really popping in my head. His best choices would be possibly landing a split role type of gig somewhere spelling a larger back or... taking a pay cut to stay here and handling some carries when Mendy looks tired.

What greatly works against Parker in an offense with backs splitting some time is that Parker can't catch, and small quicker backs are used often in passing games in splits

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm trying to think of the tams he could go to as a legit starter and none are really popping in my head. His best choices would be possibly landing a split role type of gig somewhere spelling a larger back or... taking a pay cut to stay here and handling some carries when Mendy looks tired.

What greatly works against Parker in an offense with backs splitting some time is that Parker can't catch, and small quicker backs are used often in passing games in splits
    Can't block either.....................but,then again,neither can Moore.

I know I'm gonna miss him. Not because of how much he contributed last season but his career in Pittsburgh has been a good one and a few really really memorable moments.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fast Willie became a victim of Arians favorite running play, up the middle. I will miss Willie. He ran with limited moves, but a lot of heart and provided us with a lot of memorable moments. I wish him well where ever he may go. Thanks for the 2 200 yard games, the 75 yard td run in Super Bowl XL and many more moments
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information