Thread: LeBeau, Steelers scouring for that next great defender

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default LeBeau, Steelers scouring for that next great defender

LeBeau, Steelers scouring for that next great defender
    Posted: January 27th, 2010 | Jason Feller | Tags: 2010 Senior Bowl, Dick LeBeau, Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers

MOBILE Ala. — Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is considered one of the best coaches of all time, and is earning Hall of Fame consideration for his outstanding play as a defensive back with the Detroit Lions.

He has presided over top-ranked defenses throughout his career, and his unit led Pittsburgh to a victories in Super Bowl XL and XLIII.

This past season, however, the Steelers were not quite as formidable defensively as they have been in seasons past. They still ranked fifth overall, and second in sacks, but they gave up crucial fourth-quarter touchdowns at key points throughout the year.

LeBeau, however, seemed undaunted when I spoke with him here at the Senior Bowl.

“We had some games in the fourth quarter that we just didn’t execute the way we should have, and gotten off the field the way we have in the past,” LeBeau said. “We’re looking to improve those situations, and that’s one of the reasons we’re down here looking at the players here in the Senior Bowl, and looking at some good young talent coming out.”

LeBeau added that there is a strong core already in place, and expects the Steelers to be right in the mix next season.

“I think we’ll be a very competitive defense, and I think our team is going to be very competitive,” LeBeau said.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was also here at the Senior Bowl standing on the sidelines intently watching the action. With LeBeau’s experience, and Tomlin’s passion, it figures Pittsburgh will find a future standout here at the Senior Bowl who will help the Steelers become a contender again in no time.

Threads : 122

Default Re: LeBeau, Steelers scouring for that next great defender

So, Lebeau & Tomlin are down there looking for players that could make in impact in 2012 with the way they operate. Sweet.

Threads : 1632

Troy is the starting QB of the dee. Aaron lead the way for the dee line. We didn't just lose players with them last season. We lost on the field leadership. I believe things will be better next season with the dee. LeBeau didn't suddenly become clueless either. It will be ok.

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Troy is the starting QB of the dee. Aaron lead the way for the dee line. We didn't just lose players with them last season. We lost on the field leadership. I believe things will be better next season with the dee. LeBeau didn't suddenly become clueless either. It will be ok.
    Our D was pretty pathetic last year beyond those 2. That soft assed zone coverage crap is for the birds. I watched the Green Bay vs. Steelers game last night again and on 3rd & 1 our CB was playing 12 yards off the line of scrimmage. WR runs a 5 yd curl and the QB tosses an easy pass to him for an easy first. Check it out, 2:50 left in the game or thereabouts.

Will our D be better with Troy and Aaron back? Absolutley it will. But will it be a Superbowl caliber defense? Will Troy even last a whole season? I mean the dude had 2 seperate knee ligament injuries last season on the same knee. Can a player even heal up to 95% of what they were before something like that? If he can heal up, what are the odds he jacks that knee up again? If he goes down, will it be the 2009 season all over again?

Losing Smith hurt, but without Troy our secondary was a complete joke! So if Lebeau, or Tomlin, whichever wants to run that soft zone coverage stuff continues to want to run that, do we need a whole new secondary pretty much? Ike blows in zone coverage. He is a dominant CB in man as he has shown time and time again but in zone he is very mediocre.

Threads : 277

"The next....:

Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, and--while I really don't like PSU players as pros--Jared Odrick.

I was looking at the senior bowl rosters. I wonder how they decide to invite which players. Noticed that there were some names missing I thought would have been there. I wonder if players turn it down? I guess if you already got the word that you will more than likely get drafted there is no reason to go.

http://www.seniorbowl.com/northroster.asp

http://www.seniorbowl.com/southroster.asp

Threads : 10
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Our D was pretty pathetic last year beyond those 2. That soft assed zone coverage crap is for the birds. I watched the Green Bay vs. Steelers game last night again and on 3rd & 1 our CB was playing 12 yards off the line of scrimmage. WR runs a 5 yd curl and the QB tosses an easy pass to him for an easy first. Check it out, 2:50 left in the game or thereabouts.

Will our D be better with Troy and Aaron back? Absolutley it will. But will it be a Superbowl caliber defense? Will Troy even last a whole season? I mean the dude had 2 seperate knee ligament injuries last season on the same knee. Can a player even heal up to 95% of what they were before something like that? If he can heal up, what are the odds he jacks that knee up again? If he goes down, will it be the 2009 season all over again?

Losing Smith hurt, but without Troy our secondary was a complete joke! So if Lebeau, or Tomlin, whichever wants to run that soft zone coverage stuff continues to want to run that, do we need a whole new secondary pretty much? Ike blows in zone coverage. He is a dominant CB in man as he has shown time and time again but in zone he is very mediocre.

I agree with your assessment, with Troy and Aaron Smith both out, the defense really suffered. I'll also throw in the loss of McFadden to free agency.
    While many Steelers fans chanted, " It's alright, it's OK, we have his replacement in William Gay ." I knew that McFadden's departure would put a big hurting on the Steelers secondary. William Gay hadn't shown enough promise to quell my worries.

Threads : 60

I always thought McFadden was better than Ike Taylor. Shows how little I know.

Can we just agree to draft the women in "Bleedn's sig pix." I don't care if they can play D or not!!

I like them/her!!

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    Can we just agree to draft the women in "Bleedn's sig pix." I don't care if they can play D or not!!

I like them/her!!

x2

X3!!

Threads : 413

I like them/her!!
    I'd be happy if one (or all) of them played center and I played QB.

I like them/her!!
    Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I'd be happy if one (or all) of them played center and I played QB.
    I think they all may be "tight ends"?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information