Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Does Nutting Think He's Kidding? - Smizik

Threads : 122

Default Who Does Nutting Think He's Kidding? - Smizik

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...s-kidding.aspx

Who does Nutting think he's kidding?

By Bob Smizik | Wednesday, 12:15 a.m.

Bob Nutting is not a man easily embarrassed. The owner of the Pirates make no apologies for operating what is one of the worst -- if not the worst -- professional sports franchise in this country. You’d never know from hearing Nutting speak that there’s anything wrong with the Pirates.

But as we all know there’s plenty wrong with the Pirates. The team has had 17 consecutive losing seasons and there looks to be no getting around No. 18 this summer.

Nutting believes he has a plan in place, and he does. That might not sound like much, but considering how the Pirates have operated in the past it is an improvement. Whether that plan will work remains to be seen.

In any evaluation of the Pirates' future three things must be considered:

* Almost all of the other 15 National League franchises also have a plan.

* With the possible exception of Washington, none of those franchises is starting from as far back as the Pirates.

* None of those franchises has an ownership group more reluctant to spend.

This is to say the hill the Pirates must climb back to respectability is steep, very steep. The path to championship contention is steeper still.

Which leads us to what amounts to the state of the franchise interview Nutting gave to Post-Gazette beat reporter Dejan Kovacevic and which appeared in the Monday editions of the paper.

If Nutting ran the Cleveland Indians, I’d say the interview showed he speaks with a forked tongue. Since the runs the Pirates, I will resort to old-fashioned Pittsburghese: He’s fulla baloney.

You’d think after proclaiming last year, ``"We're not going to accept an inferior performance," and accepting just that, Nutting would be more careful with his words. He wasn’t. Like I said, he doesn’t embarrass easily.

In answering Kovacevic’s second question, which dealt with whether progress should be expected, Nutting said:

``Oh, absolutely. We are going to win more games than last year. We are going to see improvement on the field in Pittsburgh, in terms of wins and loses. We have to.

``I said last year that was my expectation and, midway through the season, we clearly weren't seeing that. And the team took decisive action, made change. That's part of why you have the broader pool from which the pieces will come for 2010 and moving forward.’’

That second paragraph simply is not true. The Pirates did not begin making trades when expectations weren’t being met. They began making trades when they were ahead of expectations. And they often traded players who were ahead of anyone’s expectations, most notably Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett.

Every time the Pirates made a trade, beginning with Nate McLouth to Atlanta in early June when they were four games under .500, they were ahead of the pace they set in 2008. They did not fall behind that pace until the final trade was made, at which point all the high-priced veterans were gone and the Pirates were stuck with a miserable talent level.

There were reasons the Pirates made those trades last year, and I don’t disagree with most of them. But they were not made because the team, as Nutting suggested, was playing below expectations.

Later Nutting was asked about what had to be the single most ridiculous comment of his tenure. After the Pirates finally signed No. 1 draft choice Pedro Alvarez in the summer of 2008, Nutting called team president Frank Coonelly and general manager Neal Huntington ``the single best management team in all of baseball, maybe in all of sports."

His answer was equally ridiculous:

``And I've never backed away from that comment.’’

Well, he should have. Coonelly and Huntington are not anywhere near the best management team in sports and Nutting makes himself look like a buffoon by standing by his original comment. There are other way to support your management team than lavishing them with overblown praise.

Nutting could have backed away from his original comment, maybe even by poking fun at himself. Then he could have reasserted his confidence in Connelly and Nutting without making them sound like Larry Lucchino and Theo Epstein of the Boston Red Sox.

Next question:

``What's your view of the talent pool that could be in Pittsburgh at some point in 2010?’’

Answer: ``Clearly, we have more depth, more options. And what I'm thrilled about is that Neal has the time and opportunity to make good baseball decisions to be able to pull people up when it's appropriate to the player's development.’’

Balderdash. The Pirates are significantly weaker on the major-league level than they were at this time last year and they have less options at that level. The fact they have presented Jeff Clement with an opportunity to win the starting first base job in spring training speaks volumes to their lack of talent and clearly shows Huntington is not able ``to pull people up when it's appropriate to the player's development.''

Clement batted .224 for Indianapolis last season after he was traded to the Pirates from Seattle. In a major-league trial with the Mariners in 2008, he batted .227 with a .295 on-base percentage and a .360 slugging percentage. He hit five home runs in 203 at bats.

That wouldn’t even get an invitation to spring training on some teams, let alone the opportunity to win a starting job.

There’s were lots more of nutty Nutting comments but I’m going to end here. However, I reserve the right to critique the remainder of his interview at a later date.

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who Does Nutting Think He's Kidding? - Smizik

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just joining in...

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

God, would someone please take away Smizik's keyboard to put him and us out of our misery. There can't possibly be a bigger tool on the planet.
    "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds"--Ray Miller

Threads : 0

Balderdash??? Fulla Baloney??? Who is he writing this for, the St. Petersburg Retirement Community Bulletin and Bingo Weekly? You can practically hear him muttering under his breath, "I'd have written a good column if it wasn't for these pesky kids playing their rock and roll music". I'm stunned he wasn't able to work in the phrases "23 Skidoo" and tell Nutting "I'll pound your hash". If that's the best he's going to trot out, it's time he moves onto games of checkers and playing connect the liver spots. Really, Balderdash?!? Does anybody that still has their prostate continue to use that word?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Just joining in...

x2.

What in the hell is the sense for the Pirates taking the field this year. According to this jag-off, we're going to be the perennial losers. Personally, I think we are going to show improvement.

I'd like to see if Smizidick would write this about the Steelers or Pens. Probably not. I'd like to not read his articles anymore, but considering I have a large number of friends in the Pittsburgh area and have fallen for this BS. I just wish he would realize that writing this "balderdash" that he is:

1-Turning people off from showing up at games. And when people don't fill PNC Park, it takes revenue from the team, which:

2-Leaves less money for the team to spend. And then he can ***** about the team not spending any money (How can you spend money if there is no money coming in?). Anyone else see a cycle, here?

I'm not saying he should put on the mustard yellow & black glasses, but build the team up in the fans eyes. He's doing a great disservice to the organization (and fans) writing these types of articles.

1-More fans @ PNC= more money going into the organization
    2-More money= more money to spend
    3-More money spent= better quality players
    4-Better quality players= more winning
    5-More winning= more fans @ PNC
    Repeat steps 1 through 5 and we have a Championship team on our hands. What would he write about then?

Threads : 413

Smizick hit the nail on the head. We should have ponied up and spent the $10million on Matt Morris....er Ben Sheets....er, Oh nevermind.

Threads : 3

And yes, the Pirates would be really good this year if they would have kept Morgan and Burnett, and of course paid them a lot more money, and of course purchased a whole bunch of free agents. Yeah, great plan -- it worked really well for DL.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I hear one more person complain about trading Nyger Morgan I swear I'm going to start punching kittens.
    Hidden Content

Who needs the USC song girls?

Threads : 3

Save the kittens!

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBuccoDaddy View Post
    Balderdash??? Fulla Baloney??? Who is he writing this for, the St. Petersburg Retirement Community Bulletin and Bingo Weekly? You can practically hear him muttering under his breath, "I'd have written a good column if it wasn't for these pesky kids playing their rock and roll music". I'm stunned he wasn't able to work in the phrases "23 Skidoo" and tell Nutting "I'll pound your hash". If that's the best he's going to trot out, it's time he moves onto games of checkers and playing connect the liver spots. Really, Balderdash?!? Does anybody that still has their prostate continue to use that word?

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

Agreed. That was a much more creative piece than smizicks.

Threads : 138

"MarkInDallas" (apparently a spoof of Cuban) weighed in with some facts and some sound reasoning in the comment section:

"It’s truly amazing that people don’t get the revenue part of the equation. How is that so difficult to understand? The Brewers drew 3,037,451 fans this year. The Pirates drew 1,577,853.
    The Brewers make about $40 average from each fan that attends. I don’t know the Pirates’ average but let’s just say it’s the same even though it’s probably less.
    (3,037,451 – 1,577,853) * $40 = $58,383,920.
    Subtract the $10M more that the Pirates get in TV revenue, and the Brewers make $48.38M more than the Pirates do.
    The Brewers payroll this year was $80M, and the Pirates’ was $48M.
    $80M – $48M = $32M difference in payrolls.
    $48M more in revenue, and $32M more in payroll.
    That means the Brewers made about $16M more than the Pirates did.
    And still people believe the Brewers have shown more “financial commitment” to winning than Nutting. Yeah, it’s pretty easy to spend $32M more when you are making $48M more!
    And, I hate to tell those people this, but the Brewers also lowered payroll and waited for attendance to rise before raising payroll. And all throughout that process, they have been raking in the dough to the tune of tens of millions each year.
    They offered Sabathia $20M to stay. Do you think that was just going to come out of the owner’s piggy bank? Sorry, they had that money because they have profited tens of millions of dollars in the last 5 years, and a portion of that is probably available for expenditures like a Sabathia or Fielder.
    And as you can see, they can afford to raise payroll by probably $15M without dipping into that reserve pot.
    So, it’s a very good thing that Nutting is following the same script financially to what the Brewers did 6 years ago. The hard part is you have to go through that initial process. You can’t just skip to the end winning part."

Threads : 138

Matt Bandi at the Lumber Co. tears up Smizik in a blog entry that is worth the read. Its really to long to post here...

Here is the tail end of his post:

".....And are the Pirates really “significantly weaker” than they were a year ago? They have upgraded in left by replacing Nyjer with Milledge, McCutchen is a superior option to McLouth in center and Garrett Jones should be an upgrade over Brandon Moss in right. Tabata is nearly ready to take over a starting spot in the Pittsburgh outfield. Andy LaRoche is still at third with an additional year of experience, and an impact talent is bubbling just below the surface in Alvarez. Ronny Cedeno will likely be a slight downgrade from Jack Wilson at short. Akinori Iwamura and Freddy Sanchez are a wash and Clement will adequately replace Adam LaRoche at first. Ryan Doumit and Jason Jaramillo remain behind the plate. In the starting rotation, Charlie Morton and Daniel McCutchen will be upgrades over Ian Snell and Jeff Karstens, and Brad Lincoln should be a welcome addition at some point. The bullpen will be better, and the bench and Triple-A depth have also improved. Ryan Church and Brandon Jones could both be average corner outfielders if Milledge or Garrett Jones falter, and Jones could slide to first if Clement disappoints.
    I have no idea how that all adds up to make them “significantly weaker on the major-league level.”
    But I guess none of that matters."

http://pittsburghlumberco.com/?p=1788

Threads : 31

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    "MarkInDallas" (apparently a spoof of Cuban) weighed in with some facts and some sound reasoning in the comment section:

"It’s truly amazing that people don’t get the revenue part of the equation. How is that so difficult to understand? The Brewers drew 3,037,451 fans this year. The Pirates drew 1,577,853.
    The Brewers make about $40 average from each fan that attends. I don’t know the Pirates’ average but let’s just say it’s the same even though it’s probably less.
    (3,037,451 – 1,577,853) * $40 = $58,383,920.
    Subtract the $10M more that the Pirates get in TV revenue, and the Brewers make $48.38M more than the Pirates do.
    The Brewers payroll this year was $80M, and the Pirates’ was $48M.
    $80M – $48M = $32M difference in payrolls.
    $48M more in revenue, and $32M more in payroll.
    That means the Brewers made about $16M more than the Pirates did.
    And still people believe the Brewers have shown more “financial commitment” to winning than Nutting. Yeah, it’s pretty easy to spend $32M more when you are making $48M more!
    And, I hate to tell those people this, but the Brewers also lowered payroll and waited for attendance to rise before raising payroll. And all throughout that process, they have been raking in the dough to the tune of tens of millions each year.
    They offered Sabathia $20M to stay. Do you think that was just going to come out of the owner’s piggy bank? Sorry, they had that money because they have profited tens of millions of dollars in the last 5 years, and a portion of that is probably available for expenditures like a Sabathia or Fielder.
    And as you can see, they can afford to raise payroll by probably $15M without dipping into that reserve pot.
    So, it’s a very good thing that Nutting is following the same script financially to what the Brewers did 6 years ago. The hard part is you have to go through that initial process. You can’t just skip to the end winning part."
    Great points and someone actually can do the numbers. Obviously math wasn't Smizik's best topic in grade school.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information