Thread: Lolley: Thoughts on Senior Bowl practice

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley: Thoughts on Senior Bowl practice

Thursday, January 28, 2010
    Thoughts on Senior Bowl practice

The practices for the Senior Bowl have been happening all week long and the best player there has been someone most probably wouldn't have thought much about prior to this week.

Idaho guard Mike Iupati was somebody I wanted to see more of this week. And thanks to the miracle of the NFL Network, I got that chance.

And Iupati is as good as advertised.

So while all the early focus for the Steelers is on other positions, I'm narrowing in on Iupati as a strong possibility as the team's No. 1 draft pick.

Yes, he's a guard. But he also lined up at tackle this week and more than held his own.

With Art Rooney II's proclamation in the media last week about wanting to get back to running the ball more, Iupati would make a lot of sense as the Steelers' top pick.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 122

Default Re: Lolley: Thoughts on Senior Bowl practice

Gotta say, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a stud OG to help solify things. Wonder if he can play OC?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

People amaze me. Im sorry and usually I am very nice about this stuff...but some people just dont get the concept of value...and those people can go work/write for Al Davis' Raiders. Wonder why Al Davis struggles? He gets INFATUATED with certain players, doesn't understand value, and over-drafts all the time.

If the Steelers take an OG at #18 he better be GUARANTEED BETTER than Alan Faneca...a guy who may be a future hall of famer...or it was a complete waste. You dont draft OG in the top 20.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Right now Walter Football has Iupati going to Dallas at #27. That's about right and Dallas should get a good player with good/great value there at #27. If the Steelers want to trade down to #26 and pick him (and essentially waste a pick b/c we already have players capable of playing OG at the NFL level) then go right a head...at least value wise it wont make me gag.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Idaho guard Mike Iupati looked like a 4th round pick at the Senior Bowl. He seriously looked horrible. The announcers were ripping him a new one and pointing out how much he was holding.

At the snap the guy was standing straight up and just grabbing onto the defenders, basically holding **** near every plan.

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People amaze me. Im sorry and usually I am very nice about this stuff...but some people just dont get the concept of value...and those people can go work/write for Al Davis' Raiders. Wonder why Al Davis struggles? He gets INFATUATED with certain players, doesn't understand value, and over-drafts all the time.

If the Steelers take an OG at #18 he better be GUARANTEED BETTER than Alan Faneca...a guy who may be a future hall of famer...or it was a complete waste. You dont draft OG in the top 20.
    Value isn't the only draft strategy, or necesarily the best. If there was one way that was right, every team would use it. There are too many variables to rigidly adhere to one philosophy. Value pick is worthless if the value is in an area where you are "stacked" an need is worthless if you have equal needs with no correlating talent at that spot. BPA is subjective and its value is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Value isn't the only draft strategy, or necesarily the best. If there was one way that was right, every team would use it. There are too many variables to rigidly adhere to one philosophy. Value pick is worthless if the value is in an area where you are "stacked" an need is worthless if you have equal needs with no correlating talent at that spot. BPA is subjective and its value is in the eye of the beholder.
    Agreed. Was Lawrence Timmons a 'value' pick 15th overall? When discussing the draft I tend to look more at what I think the Steelers might do than my own personal feelings. If you don't take the Steelers thought process and typical MO into account it is tough to guess a draft for them, which is pretty much what creating a mock draft is.

Speaking of areas where we are stacked though, I would only say WR & QB are 'stacked' on our current roster. We should probably try and score a 3rd QB to start grooming as well. Batch is too old and too frail at this point, but we do have Ben and a solid backup in Dixon.

Every other position screams for a starter or backups in free agency or the draft.

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Agreed. Was Lawrence Timmons a 'value' pick 15th overall? When discussing the draft I tend to look more at what I think the Steelers might do than my own personal feelings. If you don't take the Steelers thought process and typical MO into account it is tough to guess a draft for them, which is pretty much what creating a mock draft is.

Speaking of areas where we are stacked though,[HIGH-LIGHT] I would only say WR & QB are 'stacked' on our current roster[/HIGH-LIGHT]. We should probably try and score a 3rd QB to start grooming as well. Batch is too old and too frail at this point, but we do have Ben and a solid backup in Dixon.

Every other position screams for a starter or backups in free agency or the draft.
    I would[HIGH-LIGHT] possibly [/HIGH-LIGHT]add TE to that, but I agree that other than those we need players at all positions. Some of those positions need to be addressed immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Actually this isn't true. A value laden drafting philosophy would account for positions you are already "stacked" at and thus the pick would no longer be a value. And many, if not most, of the best drafting teams use this philosophy. Indianapolis has...so have the Patriots and others.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post

Speaking of areas where we are stacked though, I would only say WR & QB are 'stacked' on our current roster. We should probably try and score a 3rd QB to start grooming as well. Batch is too old and too frail at this point, but we do have Ben and a solid backup in Dixon.

Thinking about what the Steelers WILL do and what the SHOULD do are completely different things.

And to answer your questions, no, Lawrence Timmons was NOT a value at #15...and this is another reason we miss several times in the middle rounds...
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information