Thread: Baseball America's Top 30

Threads : 197

Default Baseball America's Top 30

Here's the Pirates list out of the book.

1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b
    2. Jose Tabata, of
    3. Tony Sanchez, c
    4. Brad Lincoln, rhp
    5. Chase D'Arnaud, ss/2b
    6. Starling Marte, of
    7. Tim Alderson, rhp
    8. Zach Von Rosenburg, rhp
    9. Rudy Owens, lhp
    10. Gorkys Hernandez, of
    11. Colton Cain, lhp
    12. Victor Black, rhp
    13. Jeff Locke, lhp
    14. Quinton Miller, rhp
    15. Bryan Morris, rhp
    16. John Raynor, of
    17. Ramon Aguero, rhp
    18. Robbie Grossman, of
    19. Hunter Strickland, rhp
    20. Jarek Cunningham, 3b/ss
    21. Daniel McCutchen, rhp
    22. Jordy Mercer, ss/3b
    23. Evan Chambers, of
    24. Donnie Veal, lhp
    25. Brett Lorin, rhp
    26. Neil Walker, 3b
    27. Brock Holt, ss/2b
    28. Brian Friday, ss
    29. Josh Harrison, of/2b/3b
    30. Danny Moskos, lhp

Also included was a "31st prospect" list for each team and they had Gift Ngoepe there.

Uviedo didn't make the 30 list and somehow they also put Ngoepe ahead of him. Another notable absence was Brooks Pounders who Keith Law had 9th on his Pirates list.
    Last edited by Kipper; Jan-03-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Baseball America's Top 30

There are several I would not agree with:
    Daniel McCutchen
    John Raynor...seriously?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Daniel McCutchen
    John Raynor...seriously?
    You think McCutchen should have been higher? I'm never sure where to put him.

Baseball America had Raynor 11th on their Marlins list in 2009. He took a step back this year, but the Pirates system isn't as competitive as the Marlins system either. It's consistent with what they've said on him in the past at least.

BA now has the "32nd team" up which has all of their left over scouting reports on guys that for whatever reason fell out of versions of their top 30s. 3 of the 25 players are Pirates pitchers. I guess there was a lot of debate over who to include in the back end of the list. These are available for free, so you can read the full reports here:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...10/269446.html

The players listed are Nathan Adcock, Brooks Pounders, and Justin Wilson.

Threads : 413

Here's yet another list. Not sure who Frankie Pilliere is, but the sight says he was a scout for the Rangers.

He has the Pirates farm system ranked 28th. Only 3 in the top 100. Alvarez at 18, Tabata at 69, an Sanchez at 75.

For whatever it's worth.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/

Baseball Lover

The farm looks very solid. Not one of the best, but definitely in the top half of the league IMO. The Pirates turn around continues! 2010 should be a great year of growth, good luck to all Pirate farmhands!

Threads : 36

This list includes 13 starting pitching prospects. That is pretty impressive. It is even more impressive when you consider that thefollowing pitchers are all decent prospects as well
    Pounders
    Stevenson
    Wilson
    Dodson
    Baker
    Inman.

There are also several good bullpen options as well
    Uviedo
    Aguero
    Moreno
    Moskos
    Watson

I feel that Watson and Moskos are mediocre prospects, but both could be decent lefty arms in the pen.

This is some really impressive depth.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is my first post here, so hi to everyone.
    These lists have me really excited. So much depth. Incredible, really.
    Consider this, even once you get past the top 34 that are named here (31 for the list, 3 more on the 32nd team) you can still find quite a few names who would easily have made our list a few years ago. Honestly, Dodson, and Brito may have made our top 10 list a few years ago. Brito was 25th on the Indians list and their system is ranked 3rd. When our system was ranked 28th Brito, or a player like Brito, easily could have made the cut. If you doubt me, go look at some of the scrubs on our top prospect list in the top 10 in 2007. Argenis Diaz also could easily have made the top 30 in recent years based on his glove alone.
    The third pitcher we received in the Snell/Wilson deal was Aaron Pribanic. He also would have made the list in recent years.
    Inman, and Baker are also good prospects who aren't even in the top 34.
    There are others also.
    I still wish we had a couple more high end Alverez types. That is the only thing that sets the Pirates system apart from the Rangers and a few other teams.
    It will be great in a few years when some of these guys are major league players. The local media will be filled with people saying "I told you this was happening". No sir, no you didn't .
    Last edited by JimY; Feb-13-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This is my first post here, so hi to everyone.
    These lists have me really excited. So much depth. Incredible, really.
    Consider this, even once you get past the top 34 that are named here (31 for the list, 3 more on the 32nd team) you can still find quite a few names who would easily have made our list a few years ago. Honestly, Dodson, and Brito may have made our top 10 list a few years ago. Brito was 25th on the Indians list and their system is ranked 3rd. When our system was ranked 28th Brito, or a player like Brito, easily could have made the cut. If you doubt me, go look at some of the scrubs on our top prospect list in the top 10 in 2007. Argenis Diaz also could easily have made the top 30 in recent years based on his glove alone.
    The third pitcher we received in the Snell/Wilson deal was Aaron Pribanic. He also would have made the list in recent years.
    Inman, and Baker are also good prospects who aren't even in the top 34.
    There are others also.
    I still wish we had a couple more high end Alverez types. That is the only thing that sets the Pirates system apart from the Rangers and a few other teams.
    It will be great in a few years when some of these guys are major league players. The local media will be filled with people saying "I told you this was happening". No sir, no you didn't .
    There's the introduction post!

welcome to the Tavern!

You're absolutely right with where some guys would be ranked in our minors in years past due to the poor talent levels..

Jnn or Daskid posted this link... it's the Top 10/'s of Pirates past... It's sad in one hand but also shows the night and day difference between past regimes and this one.... there's hope for the future for a change..

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/prospects/23.shtml

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How much better would our system be ranked if guys like Shelby Ford didn't suffer down years because of injury. These rankings don't seem to account for those factors.
    I don't believe Von Rosenberg's name was on any of those lists either. Another solid draft should boost the system even further. We have to have the most improved system in baseball since 2007.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    How much better would our system be ranked if guys like Shelby Ford didn't suffer down years because of injury. These rankings don't seem to account for those factors.
    I don't believe Von Rosenberg's name was on any of those lists either. Another solid draft should boost the system even further. We have to have the most improved system in baseball since 2007.
    Ford just about destroyed his career last year. He is going to have to do some serious damage control this year to get back on the radar.

While you might not think they count that stuff, the reality is that pretty much every system has a player that regresses alot and/or a player(s) that goes down to injury or plays poorly due to it.

IF guys like ZVR and Cain perform well along with some others from 2009, the Pirates will move up. The Pirates are in proving mode. there's not analysts, expert etc... out there that is going to give the Pirates any benefit of the doubt or favor. with the Pirates track record, it comes down to proving it

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I look for the system to take a quite a few steps foward this year. I do believe that last years draft picks like ZVR, Cain and guys like Holt and Josh Harrison will help the system move foward, but I can't help but notice that guys like Alderson, for example, are considered highly touted future stars until they become property of the Pirates. Suddenly, according to the mediots their star status has dimmed and they have several flaws they didn't before possess.
    They are no less talented than they were before they became a part of the Pirates system, it is just that they are now a part of the losing stigma that surrounds our Buccos.
    I don't believe our system is better than it really is, I just believe that the media needs to seperate Nutting/NH from McClatchey/Littlefield and give some credit for what has been accomplished.
    But hey, WE know that tremendous progress has been made in the last 2 years, and soon enough, the rest of the Baseball world will know it too. At least the respect will be earned and built, not bought.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 94

I look for the system to take a quite a few steps foward this year. I do believe that last years draft picks like ZVR, Cain and guys like Holt and Josh Harrison will help the system move foward, but I can't help but notice that guys like Alderson, for example, are considered highly touted future stars until they become property of the Pirates. Suddenly, according to the mediots their star status has dimmed and they have several flaws they didn't before possess.
    They are no less talented than they were before they became a part of the Pirates system, it is just that they are now a part of the losing stigma that surrounds our Buccos.
    I don't believe our system is better than it really is, I just believe that the media needs to seperate Nutting/NH from McClatchey/Littlefield and give some credit for what has been accomplished.
    But hey, WE know that tremendous progress has been made in the last 2 years, and soon enough, the rest of the Baseball world will know it too. At least the respect will be earned and built, not bought.
    I have serious doubts about Josh Harrison being a serious prospect.

There are a few that claim that they've never liked Tim Alderson however they never really voiced that until Alderson came to the Pirates alderson did have a down year last season. His velocity really fell and he didn't really progress... so consider if ZVR and Cain live up to their billing, Gorkyz plays more to his potential, Alderson plays more to his potential on top of some of the others we've been talking about..... the system could be pretty **** impressive.

I agree with Pfiv that Harrison probably isn't a prospect but there's something about him that I like for some reason and I'm not sure what it is either. I liked it since Day 1 of that trade

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information