View Poll Results: What position should the Steelers pick @ 18?

Voters
18. This poll is closed
  • Cornerback

8 44.44%
  • Safety

0 0%
  • Inside Linebacker

3 16.67%
  • Outside Linebacker

0 0%
  • Offensive Line

4 22.22%
  • Defensive End

3 16.67%
  • Running Back

0 0%

Thread: What position should the Steelers pick at 18?

Threads : 122

Default What position should the Steelers pick at 18?

Was just wondering what position everyone feels would be best to take at pick 18. If I had to pick one I feel would be the best, I think I would have to say ILB.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; Jan-29-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What position should the Steelers pick at 18?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was just wondering what position everyone feels would be best to take at pick 18. If I had to pick one I feel would be the best, I think I would have to say ILB.
    I am rubbing off on you.

ILB seem to fall a little bit on draft day...and you could get a stud/star ILB fall right into the range where you could get up and get him.

However, I am not voting b/c if McClain is gone I dont think that you should blow value and over-draft another ILB just b/c.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 277

Despite our needs on D, we are a better team next eyar with Troy and Smith haelthy, no matter what happens with Hampton (although we should sign him both to play and tutor a drafted NT).

With that note, I want Iupati or Bruce Campbell in the First--to improve our running game and to protect Ben--and then CB and S in the Second and Third, or reverse those selections based on what talent is available.

I think we get a jump on Fourth by receiving a "comp pick" between the Third and Fourth Rounds, for losing Mcfadden and Washington giving us, likely, 4 players in the top 100 or so elgible draftees.

I'd use that "comp" choice to go for the BAA, having drafted for need in the first three rounds.

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I am rubbing off on you.

ILB seem to fall a little bit on draft day...and you could get a stud/star ILB fall right into the range where you could get up and get him.

However, I am not voting b/c if McClain is gone I dont think that you should blow value and over-draft another ILB just b/c.
    I wouldn't say you specifically swayed me to think ILB would be the best fit but discussing it with you and others on here and other boards has definately played into me thinking that. I am honestly torn between taking a S and taking an ILB. But wouldn't be ****ed if they traded down and took a stud OL if they felt he could start year one and be a major upgrade and honestly wouldn't be super ****ed if they would even take CJ Spiller if he were sitting there at 18 and they felt he could be a great weapon out of the backfield on 3rd downs and in the kick return game. Maybe trade Logan to someone and free up a roster spot.

There are a lot of options I guess you could say that would help the team. But in the end, I think if there was a stud ILB sitting there that could replace Farrior after this season, and possibly come in on 3rd downs if the ILB is great in coverage then they might need to take him.

It is a shame because I think the two biggest holes we have on the team are at C and NT but there aren't going to be worthy prospects at those positions in the first round.

I think Dan Williams is a monster NT, in play and almost size.

For all of the reasons (and pictures), I can't get excited about Cody.

I love McLain, too, but I worry about his coverage ability, not his hitting ability.

My "Center" solution would be to draft and OT in Round 1 (because there are 6 who could be Top 25 picks) or Iupati and pray that Colon can play Center or that Stapleton out performs Hartwig.

Threads : 29

The value appears to be on the OL and DL at #18.

CB, S and ILB are probably the biggest areas of need but there is only 1 CB and 1 ILB worth picking that high and they'll be gone. As for safety, I think Clark will be back and there is good value to be had at safety in the 2nd and 3rd. It's a deep draft at that postion they say.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    The value appears to be on the OL and DL at #18.

CB, S and ILB are probably the biggest areas of need but there is only 1 CB and 1 ILB worth picking that high and they'll be gone. As for safety, I think Clark will be back and there is good value to be had at safety in the 2nd and 3rd. It's a deep draft at that postion they say.
    I agree with you...OL and DL would be the best value at #18...I am just hoping that, as TYPICALLY happens, that McClain slides a LITTLE...and is in the teens and we can go up and get him for essentially a 3rd round pick.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honestly have no idea whats out there but I would go with db or dl depending on whats out there. I don't get how we need an ILB, we have Timmons, Farrior and Fox. I know Farrior had a **** year but he is still calling the plays on the field, that won't be easy to replace. Fox could be a starter as a Foote type replacement. That is 3 at least half decent options for two spots, all you need is another apprentice or emergency scrub imo. I think our O-line is decent. I think these guys will improve even more this year as long as the new coach works out. You gotta get OL every draft but I would be fine waiting till day 2. We NEED good prospects at Corner and probably Safety too. Our DL is old as ****, we should have drafted some guys high the last couple drafts at this point you have no choice. They have gone BPA the last few and haven't done a great job with it so I think we have to draft for need in this one. After DB and DL I am cool with getting BPA. I can't think of a position on O I would want to upgrade right now. If you draft O we will end up cutting them all in camp imo.

Threads : 29

Farrior is 35 and on his last legs. Fox is a FA after the 2010 season. It normally takes players, especially LBs, a year to get this system.

I can't think of a position on O I would want to upgrade right now.
    Really??? You don't believe the OL could use an upgrade?

I m back to OT (either the kid from Rutgers, Davis, or Maryland, Campbell)--where there will be three or four "studs" when we draft at #18--take one and then address the DB in Round 2.

(If they franchise Hampton, we can wait until the fourth or fifth round to draft a successor, Linval Joseph or Torell Troup would be my choice.)

I also would grab Toby Gearhart, if he is there when we pick in Round 3.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

.... Hampton's replacement or OL.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Ian

Honestly, as long as we don't take Taylor Mays (S-USC), I'll be pretty happy. Personally, I would like to see us take Mike Iupati (G/T-Idaho) to beef up the O-line. If Joe Haden (CB-Florida) or Kyle Wilson (CB-Boise St) fall to us, then I think we have to give them a long hard look as well. Earl Thomas (S-Texas) may get some consideration for his coverage skills (something all of our safeties not named Polamalu lack).

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At first I was leaning towards OL or DL, but with all the recent acquisitions of good WR's by the other teams in our division, I'm starting to think we better get 1 or 2 stud CB's or we won't see the division title again for a long time. Of course a great DE who can rush the passer and disrupt the passing game will serve the same purpose??? Hell what do I know.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information