Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming My Home On The Range

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wyoming My Home On The Range

Yes it's really is like this up here.

This is up north near Yellowstone in the Tetons..

These are pics of central WY around where I live.

Last edited by Skeeter; Jan-30-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wyoming My Home On The Range

Beware of the jackalopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beware of the jackalopes.
    Phony ones have added deer horns. Real ones have horns like antelope, so the name goes. Took this pic just last fall near my home.

Last edited by Skeeter; Jan-31-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Local Hero Chris LeDoux < Ridin' Fences

Biography
    [edit] Early years

LeDoux was born in Biloxi, Mississippi, on the Gulf Coast, in 1948. His father was in the US Air Force, and the family moved often when he was a child. He learned to ride horses while visiting his grandparents on their Texas farm.[2] At age 13, LeDoux participated in his first rodeo, riding in Denison, Texas, and before long was winning junior rodeo competitions.[3] LeDoux married Peggy Rhoads on January 4, 1972, they had five children, Clay (29), Ned (24), Will (22), Cindy (21), and Beau (19).

LeDoux continued to compete in rodeo events through his high school years, and football, with rodeos keeping most of his attention. when his family moved to Cheyenne where he attended Cheyenne Central High School. After twice winning the Wyoming State Rodeo Championship bareback riding title during high school, LeDoux earned a rodeo scholarship to Casper College in Casper. During his junior year LeDoux won the Intercollegiate National Bareback Riding Championship.[2]

[edit] Rodeo success and music beginnings

In 1970, LeDoux became a professional rodeo cowboy, competing on the national rodeo circuit.[3] To help pay his expenses while traveling the country, he began penning songs describing his lifestyle.[2] Within two years he had written enough songs to make up an album, and soon established a recording company, American Cowboy Songs, with his father. After recording his songs in a friend's basement, LeDoux began selling his albums out of the back of his truck at rodeo events.[3]

His years of hard work bore fruit in 1976, when LeDoux won the world bareback riding championship at the National Finals Rodeo in Oklahoma City.[3] Winning the championship gave LeDoux more credibility with music audiences, as he now had proof that the cowboy songs he wrote and sang were authentic.[4] LeDoux continued competing for the next four years. He retired in 1980 to nurse injuries and to spend more time with his growing family.[3]
    [edit] Music career

With his rodeo career ended, LeDoux and his family settled on a ranch in Kaycee, Wyoming. He continued to write and record his songs, and began playing concerts.[3] His concerts were very popular, and often featured a mechanical bull (which he rode between songs) and fireworks.[4] By 1982 he had sold over 250,000 copies of his albums, with little or no marketing. By the end of the decade he had self-released twenty-two albums.[3]

Despite offers from various record labels, LeDoux had refused to sign a recording contract, instead choosing to retain his independence and total control over his work while enjoying his regional following. In 1989, however, he shot to national prominence when he was mentioned in the debut song of future superstar Garth Brooks, the Top-10 country hit "Much Too Young (To Feel This **** Old)". To capitalize on the sudden attention, LeDoux signed a contract with Capitol Records subsidiary Liberty Records and released his first national album, Western Underground, in 1991. His follow-up album, Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy, was certified gold and reached the top ten. The title track, a duet with Brooks, became LeDoux's first and only Top Ten country single, reaching No. 7 in 1992.[3]. In concert, he ended the song by saying "thanks Garth".

For the next decade LeDoux continued to record for Liberty, recording six additional records, one of which, 1998's One Road Man, made the country Top 40.[3] Towards the end of his career, LeDoux began recording material written by other artists, as he was tired of fighting for the right words.[4] With his 2000 release, Cowboy, he returned to his roots, re-recording many of his earliest writing attempts.[3]
    [edit] Illness and death

In 2000, LeDoux suffered an illness that required him to receive a liver transplant. Garth Brooks volunteered to donate part of his liver, but it was found to be incompatible. An alternative donor was located, and LeDoux did receive a transplant.[5] After his recovery he released two additional albums. LeDoux died on March 9, 2005 of complications from cholangiocarcinoma.[
    Last edited by Skeeter; Jan-31-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Threads : 137

The odd thing about Wyoming is the lack of trees. The landscape is a lot like Pennsylvania - just little or no trees.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Every time I've been to Jackson (summer or winter) I am just impressed/overwhelmed completely... Absolutely beautiful.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

From these airborne pics, you can see just what WY was talking about "terrain-wise", and you gotta love all the antlers over the doorway at the airport... The winter pics show just why it has the name "Big Sky" country...

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 32

I drove thru Wyoming once.....and I gotta say it was the most incredible state I have ever been too.......Wide open, beautiful, felt like the Old Untamed West....I saw more cattle than people on my drive there!!!! The sunset, red, blue, white was the most incredible I have ever seen!!

Funny story.....a guy was broke down on the side of the road...I think it was Route 287 if memory serves.....a guy AND his dog hitchhiking....I picked them both up and he asked me if I could take him to the service station to talk to someone about his car (days before cell phones). I said sure, how far is the gas station....He said about 30 miles or so!!!! Fun stuff. I camped out in Wyoming and also made it to Jackson Hole....GREAT TOWN, and the ONLY time I ever went skiing in my life~!!!!!!! Yellowstone was closed cause of too much snow, so I missed out on that.....I have to drive out there again someday!!!!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Signature by Viz...and in memory of him, Bill Shanaberger 1939-2010

Great photos NKy! Hey Ran and/or NKy if you are ever around Casper let me know and we can do steaks and brews. Same goes for most any of the regulars that troll this board. I live north of Casper. I've seen antelope 50 yards from the front porch of my house. Yes Wyoming is worth a visit. The diversity of the terrain here is astonishing.

Just off the Mormon Pioneer Trail in eastern Wyoming is a unique geographical site known as Ayers Natural Bridge, the only natural bridge with a stream flowing beneath it in the United States. Many pioneers visited Ayers and waded in the stream during their journey. It is located near Glenrock, Wyo. Brigham Young and the Pioneer Company camped near the bridge on June 9, 1847. Company member Tarlton Lewis noted that the La Prele stream on which they were camped "ran through a tunnel about 10 to 20 rods under the high rocky bluffs." The site of Ayers Natural Bridge was donated to the state of Wyoming by the Ayers family. The bridge had been part of their ranch. It is currently accessible to the public as a picnic and camping site during the months of favorable weather.

This is about 45 minute drive south of my home. The opening under that is 30 feet high.

Like to flyfish for BIG trout? I've been to these guys' business. Good people. The Grey Reef section of the North Platte is rated the no 1 fly fishing trout stream in the lower 48 for both numbers and average size of the fish. Only 1/2 hour drive from Casper. You really need a float boat to get into these fish. Public access from the shores is very limited.

http://www.northplatteflyfishing.com/

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/greyreefreport.aspx

Brown trout

Cutthroat trout

Rainbow trout

Those are all actual Grey Reef fish.
    Last edited by Skeeter; Jan-31-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Threads : 88

Certainly looks nice out there. Good pics, sirs!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

I'll keep that in mind, WY...

There's another board member that lives out there (blackandgoldman). He posts more at another board than he does here, though.

Threads : 215

Good stuff!

Threads : 32

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Phony ones have added deer horns. Real ones have horns like antelope, so the name goes. Took this pic just last fall near my home.

I thought they were ALL fake!!!!???? Is that ****er for real??? Don't bull**** me...I AM gullible it seems.....Hell, I am a BBUUCCOO fan afterall!!!!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Signature by Viz...and in memory of him, Bill Shanaberger 1939-2010

Quote Originally Posted by ranrod7 View Post
    I thought they were ALL fake!!!!???? Is that ****er for real??? Don't bull**** me...I AM gullible it seems.....Hell, I am a BBUUCCOO fan afterall!!!!!
    Some believe Ran and some don't. All depends ya see.

The legend of the jackalope has bred the rise of many outlandish (and largely tongue-in-cheek) claims as to the creature's habits. For example, it is said to be a hybrid of the pygmy-deer and a species of "killer rabbit". Reportedly, jackalopes are extremely shy unless approached. Legend also has it that female jackalopes can be milked as they sleep belly up and that the milk can be used for a variety of medicinal purposes. It has also been said that the jackalope can convincingly imitate any sound, including the human voice. It uses this ability to elude pursuers, chiefly by using phrases such as "There he goes! That way!" It is said that a jackalope may be caught by putting a flask of whiskey out at night. The jackalope will drink its fill of whiskey and its intoxication will make it easier to hunt. In some parts of the United States it is said that jackalope meat has a taste similar to lobster. However, legend has it that they are dangerous if approached. It has also been said that jackalopes will only breed during electrical storms including hail, explaining its rarity.

Jackalopes are legendary in the U.S. – attributed to by the New York Times in 1932 to Douglas Herrick (1920–2003) of [HIGH-LIGHT]Douglas, Wyoming[/HIGH-LIGHT], and thus the town was named the "Home of the Jackalope" by the state of Wyoming in 1985. The state of Wyoming trademarked the name in 1965. According to the Douglas Chamber of Commerce, a 1930s hunting trip for jackrabbits led to the idea of a Jackalope. Herrick and his brother had studied taxidermy by mail order as teenagers. When the brothers returned from a hunting trip, Herrick tossed a jackrabbit carcass into the taxidermy shop, which rested beside a pair of deer antlers. The accidental combination of animal forms sparked Douglas Herrick's idea for a jackalope.[2] The first jackalope the brothers put together was sold for $10 to Roy Ball, who displayed it in Douglas' La Bonte Hotel. The mounted head was stolen in 1977.[3] The Douglas Chamber of Commerce has issued thousands of Jackalope Hunting Licenses to tourists. The tags are good for hunting only during official Jackalope season, which occurs for only one day: June 31 (a nonexistent date as June has 30 days), from midnight to 2 AM. The hunter may not have an IQ greater than 72.In 2005, the House of the Wyoming state legislature passed a bill to declare the [HIGH-LIGHT]jackalope the "official mythological creature" of Wyoming[/HIGH-LIGHT], by a vote of 45-12 and referred it to the state Senate, where the bill was indefinitely postponed on 2 March 2005.[5]
    Last edited by Skeeter; Jan-31-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information