Thread: Hot Stove: A downgrade for Pirates' defense?

Threads : 691

Default Hot Stove: A downgrade for Pirates' defense?

I found the Bryce Harper comment interesting.

Hot Stove: A downgrade for Pirates' defense?
    Was ranked No. 1 in majors last year, but much of cast has changed
    Sunday, January 31, 2010
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    If the optimistic view about the 2010 Pirates is that there is nowhere to go but up, then this also should be noted: There is nowhere for their defense to go but down.

Unless it finishes No. 1 again.

That was the Pirates' ranking among all of Major League Baseball last season, despite 99 losses, despite midseason trades of some of their best gloves. The .988 fielding percentage was the best, and the total of 73 errors the lowest.

But this roster and the one that opened last season have little in common, so a fresh look is warranted ...

Start with those staying put: Ryan Doumit is behind the plate, Andy LaRoche at third base.

At first, Jeff Clement will be learning the position in spring training, so he hardly can be expected to match Adam LaRoche.

At second, Akinori Iwamura has comparable career statistics to Freddy Sanchez and should make a wash.

At shortstop, Ronny Cedeno was inconsistent and visibly frustrated the staff, but he will get another chance. Jack Wilson, his predecessor, won the statistically-driven Fielding Bible Award as the top defender at his position, in part through a formula that determines runs saved. He actually ranked first in that category over the past three years.

In left field, Lastings Milledge, who made strides down the stretch, replaced Nyjer Morgan, who finished the year ranked second among all players at his position.

In center, Andrew McCutchen is a marked improvement over Nate McLouth. The numbers on McLouth, despite his 2008 Gold Glove, are harsh because of limited range.

In right, Garrett Jones will not be as effective as Brandon Moss, though that call obviously was made for the offense.

All told ...

"There's no reason we shouldn't be able to continue it," manager John Russell said.

"We've got pretty much the same personnel, with the exception of Nyjer, Jack and Freddy, and we didn't really feel like we lost a lot, especially with Iwamura coming."

What about shortstop?

"I think we're going to be solid up the middle, and that includes Ronny or Bobby Crosby if he's there. Cedeno showed us he can play."

Doumit sounded a similar note about the middle infield.

"I don't see why we can't be good again defensively," he said. "From what I've seen of Cedeno ... with all due respect to Jack -- and he was one of the best shortstops in the game -- for a while there, Cedeno made Pittsburghers forget about Jack.

"And Iwamura's reputation precedes him. I remember Eric Hinske raving to us about him last year."

Hinske and Iwamura were teammates with Tampa Bay.

Buried treasure
    • Another key departure from that defense, infield instructor Perry Hill, remains idle. The Pirates exercised his club option for 2010 even after Hill said he did not wish to return, and other teams cannot contact him without the Pirates' permission.

• [HIGH-LIGHT]General manager Neal Huntington made a striking pronouncement on the 2010 draft yesterday by telling the PirateFest crowd that Bryce Harper, the Las Vegas catcher dubbed "Baseball's LeBron" by Sports Illustrated last June, is not currently among the Pirates' top 10. They pick second. "He's getting a lot of hype," Huntington said. "We will scout Bryce Harper. But we're not going to select him because somebody thinks he's the best prospect in the history of the game and we think he's the 10th-best."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• It has been 12 years since the franchise's last in-season trade acquisition aimed at contending, that being Shawon Dunston in 1997. Huntington would not rule out spending his untapped payroll that way this summer should something equally surprising occur: "Oh, absolutely. We're working toward the day when we can trade prospects for veterans, where those kinds of deals can put us where we want to be."

• Steve Pearce's name rarely is mentioned by management after batting .206 in 60 games last season, even though he still is, theoretically, in the mix for outfield or first base. How does he see it? "I haven't really had a shot to show what I can do playing every day, so I've been working really hard this offseason to try to put myself in good position. There's a lot of competition, I know. But I'm going to embrace it."

• The Pirates' minor league system is a the middle of the pack, ranked 16th of 30 teams, according to Baseball America, the most recognized brand in this area. That is up two notches from last year and the ranking is the highest since being 11th in 2004. "We thought we'd be higher," Huntington said. "But McCutchen coming to the majors takes a big guy off our list." Also this week, ESPN's Keith Law ranked the Pirates 18th.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10031...#ixzz0eC4fIFWp
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hot Stove: A downgrade for Pirates' defense?

From what I've been reading and hearing, Dejan took bits and pieces of what was said and took stuff out of context. Anyone else who was there, catch any of this? If true, that's a shame since DK's job is to copy and paste with accuracy not do it to fulfill an agenda.

Here's one I found scouring the net..
    The question was something like "Last year you said if Strasburg or Ackley was available at #4 you would pick them. Will you say the same this year about Bryce Harper?" and Huntington said no then paused for a second and said "at least not at this point." I believe his exact quote was "I can't tell you right now if he'll be in our top 10." He also said he "kind of feels bad for Harper" after SI made the Lebron James comparison.
    Wilbur Miller (sounds like he was at Pirate Fest, said this...)

This is a mischaracterization of NH's comments. He was clearly speaking hypothetically. In fact, NH didn't even say the highlighted part. I asked in the comments whether the Pirates even have a draft board yet and Dejan said "no." All NH did was echo what everybody else in baseball is saying -- that Harper is not in a league with Stephen Strasburg and that it's not at all clear that he's the top talent in the draft. He did not say the Pirates weren't interested and did not say they won't take him. He just said they won't take him solely because of an SI article. The Nats, who have the first pick and didn't shy away from Strasburg, said almost exactly the same thing as NH yesterday. Every comment I've seen from scouts and scouting directors has been the same, BA has said the same thing, and BP's Kevin Goldstein even said Harper wouldn't be in his top five right now.
    .... Just trying top provide a little "more"

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I've been reading and hearing, Dejan took bits and pieces of what was said and took stuff out of context. Anyone else who was there, catch any of this? If true, that's a shame since DK's job is to copy and paste with accuracy not do it to fulfill an agenda.
    I was there. The question and the answer were basically as described in the first quote you have. Wilbur kind of expands and reads into things a little more than what was said in plain words, but seems to interpret it correctly.

The Management Q&A was pretty interesting. You could tell certain people went up there thinking they were going to "get them good" with their questions, but they're just so good at talking that everyone came away feeling like the answers were shockingly reasonable. Interesting vibe to the whole thing.

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I was there. The question and the answer were basically as described in the first quote you have. Wilbur kind of expands and reads into things a little more than what was said in plain words, but seems to interpret it correctly.

The Management Q&A was pretty interesting. You could tell certain people went up there thinking they were going to "get them good" with their questions, but they're just so good at talking that everyone came away feeling like the answers were shockingly reasonable. Interesting vibe to the whole thing.
    I'm with NH on this one Harper ia a 17 yo HS kid who hasn't played 1 inning of college ball. He isn't even in the same ball park with Strasburg. Harper put a big show on in last years HR derby but so did Pirate pick Wesley Freeman.

I agree with a previous statement that the Pirates probably don't even have their draft board set up yet. Let Harper play this year and then rate him afterwards.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    I'm with NH on this one Harper ia a 17 yo HS kid who hasn't played 1 inning of college ball. He isn't even in the same ball park with Strasburg. Harper put a big show on in last years HR derby but so did Pirate pick Wesley Freeman.

I agree with a previous statement that the Pirates probably don't even have their draft board set up yet. Let Harper play this year and then rate him afterwards.
    Agreed, but I'm not sure if you missed the fact that Harper has now played a few innings of college ball in College of Southern Nevada's Spring season. I think he played 1 game at 3B and 1 game at C. I know he hit his first HR the other day. I have a buddy who lives out in Henderson, NV where they play and he told me he was going to go to a few games and see what he thinks in person.

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Agreed, but I'm not sure if you missed the fact that Harper has now played a few innings of college ball in College of Southern Nevada's Spring season. I think he played 1 game at 3B and 1 game at C. I know he hit his first HR the other day. I have a buddy who lives out in Henderson, NV where they play and he told me he was going to go to a few games and see what he thinks in person.
    Yes I know his season just started but my point was that even if he has played a couple of games that's still not enough time to properly evaluate him and it still doesn’t put him in Strasberg’s stratosphere.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information