Thread: Pirates announce Perry Hill won't return; hire Searage

Threads : 691

Default Pirates announce Perry Hill won't return; hire Searage

Pirates announce Perry Hill won't return; hire Searage
    Saturday, October 17, 2009
    By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Pirates announced this morning that first base coach and infield instructor Perry Hill will not return to the organization next year.

"We made an aggressive attempt to bring Perry back, including exercising his option for the 2010 season and offering to restructure and extend his contract. Despite these efforts, Perry has decided that he does not want to coach," general manager Neal Huntington said in a news release. "We respect Perry's decision, appreciate his service to the organization and remain open to Perry returning to the organization if and when he desires to coach again."

The Pirates also announced that Ray Searage will join the Major League coaching staff for the 2010 season.

Searage, 54, just completed his 32nd season in professional baseball -- his seventh as a pitching coach in the Pittsburgh organization and his second as the Triple-A Pitching Coach in Indianapolis.

"Ray brings years of experience to our big league staff," said Huntington. "He not only has spent the last seven years working with the pitchers in our system, but he has over 30 years of experience as both a Major League pitcher and minor league pitching coach. His knowledge of the game in general, and the way he has handled our pitchers coming through the system, will further strengthen our coaching staff at the big league level."

Searage began his coaching career in the St. Louis minor league system in 1994 after playing a total of seven big league seasons with the Mets (1981), Brewers (1984-86), White Sox (1986-87) and Dodgers (1989-1990). He joined the Pittsburgh organization as the Pitching Coach with Williamsport in 2003. After spending two seasons in the New York-Penn League, Searage also served in the same capacity with Hickory (2005) and Altoona (2006-07) before joining Indianapolis.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09290...#ixzz0UDObHnGS

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates announce Perry Hill won't return; hire Searage

How does a pitching coach help infielders? LOL.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How does a pitching coach help infielders? LOL.
    I don't think Searage was brought on board to replace Hill. They left another coach go,I forget who, a couple go weeks ago. I had heard that they were looking for a guy for Kerrigan to mentor,because he probably isn't going to stick around long term.

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rich Donnelly is who they let go.

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, Perry would rather not coach than come back to Pittsburgh. That is a pretty big slap in the face.

Threads : 1817

Man that sucks. I was really hoping they'd bring Hill back, but then again, Perry sort of acted like a ***** about the entire thing. Hopefully they hire a replacement that's close to being as good as an instructor.

Don't you think Searage is a little older to be a "mentored" type for Kerrigan?

Threads : 22

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Man that sucks. I was really hoping they'd bring Hill back, but then again, [HIGH-LIGHT]Perry sort of acted like a ***** about the entire thing.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Hopefully they hire a replacement that's close to being as good as an instructor.

Don't you think Searage is a little older to be a "mentored" type for Kerrigan?
    Perry Hill sounds a little bit like Brett Favre

Yeah he does. The thing with Hill is that he took this job for selfish reasons and they weren't selfish in that he wanted to teach and instruction young players to get them really good and receive accolades for it. He really took this job because he wanted to get Jack Wilson a gold glove to he could add another gold glover to his resume.

Threads : 197

It's tough to get a read on the Hill situation. I believe the Pirates made a strong push for him before the 2008 season and he said he'd rather be home with his family and they couldn't talk him out of a semi-retirement. They managed to convince him to coach this year, and now he's back out and not coaching again this year. Maybe he just doesn't want to coach.

Searage seems like a weird move. No idea why they promote the guy to the majors. Maybe they're looking to get a better replacement in the minors and feel he's better suited to be working the bullpen in the majors. I remember when they drafted his son in the 18th round a few years back. He was the worst player ever. He OPSed .250 in Williamsport one year.

Yeah the Searage decision is strange. They said that they wanted to bring in a guy that would be the heir to Joe Kerrigan, so I figured they go with a younger up and coming type of guy, not someone who is probably more set in his ways and his older. Definitely is strange

Threads : 22

Yeah he does. The thing with Hill is that he took this job for selfish reasons and they weren't selfish in that he wanted to teach and instruction young players to get them really good and receive accolades for it. He really took this job because he wanted to get Jack Wilson a gold glove to he could add another gold glover to his resume.
    I would bet that a lot of people who complain about Perry Hill leaving, are a lot of the same people who complain how bad a job coaches have done to allow the team to lose 99 games.

Do people really pay attention to the coaching carousel around the major leagues? Coaches are hired, fired, not renewed, renewed and recycled over and over and over again. What's one teams coaching trash is soon another teams coaching savior.

I am sure there is another guy out there who'd be willing to have a job in the majors, and, even work for the Pirates!

How's that gonna work out for him? LOL
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    I would bet that a lot of people who complain about Perry Hill leaving, are a lot of the same people who complain how bad a job coaches have done to allow the team to lose 99 games.

Do people really pay attention to the coaching carousel around the major leagues? Coaches are hired, fired, not renewed, renewed and recycled over and over and over again. What's one teams coaching trash is soon another teams coaching savior.

I am sure there is another guy out there who'd be willing to have a job in the majors, and, even work for the Pirates!
    Interestingly enough...I think this hits the nail right on the head. I mean...Tracy was the worst thing ever with the Pirates...yet he gets to the playoffs with Colorado?

I really think its FO and players that really make the difference...and every clubhouse is different to the point where some of the best managers ever to put on a uniform might not fit the profile of the clubhouse.
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information