Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Stan Savran is Now My Hero

Stan just went ballistic on a caller and by inference the "spend money" crowd on Stan, Guy, and Chris.

Awesomeness.

As many have stated innumerable times on this board and others the reason the Pirates have stunk for 17 years is incompetence, not unwillingness to spend money.

Thank you Stan.

Threads : 1817

Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

and Stan grew up an Indians fan

What was the question and his response?

Some dude from Greensburg called in and went on some rambling spew about the Yankees and free agency immediately after Stan noted that even with their big spending ways the Yankess still build through the draft.

It was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some dude from Greensburg called in and went on some rambling spew about the Yankees and free agency immediately after Stan noted that even with their big spending ways the Yankess still build through the draft.

It was pretty sweet.
    To be fair... the Yankees built through the draft in the 1990's and had more World Series success, but I'd have to argue about that now. Their roster is filled with Free Agents and trade acquisitions.

Here's the roster that was on the field to clinch the World Series

FA/Trades

Texiera
    ARod
    Damon
    Swisher

From their own system and such..

Jeter
    Cano
    Posada
    Matsui
    Gardner
    Chamberlin
    Rivera

Pitchers via FA/Trade :

Petite
    Marte

Their best Starting Pitchers were had in FA/Trades

Petite
    Sabathia
    Burnett

And their Top 3 power hitters were had via FA/Trades

ARod
    Texiera
    Swisher

In my Opinion. If the Yankees just relied on what they developed, they'd be a last place team. They've relied heavily on free Agency to build a winner. They'd never get to the World Series or playoffs without Free Agency buying them 3/5 of the SP staff and 3/3 of their best pitchers, and 122 homers (A-Rod, Swisher, Tex and Damon).

That is EXACTLY why tema sin smaller markets are at a disadvantage in MLB and why teams like the Yankees IMO are frauds. They havent had to do an ounce of the work that small and middle market teams do to try and compete. Completely unfair system in MLB

Threads : 197

You could still argue that those trade pickups were acquired through their draft and development process. They developed the pieces they needed to trade for those guys.

Petite was "re-acquired" but started in the NYY organization.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    You could still argue that those trade pickups were acquired through their draft and development process. They developed the pieces they needed to trade for those guys.
    That is true.

which guys were "traded" for and which ones were parts of trades? I can't remember

Also let's not forget that it costs money to tretain alot of these players as well

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    Petite was "re-acquired" but started in the NYY organization.
    you're right. I was completely thinking of someone else

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    That is true.

which guys were "traded" for and which ones were parts of trades? I can't remember

Also let's not forget that it costs money to tretain alot of these players as well
    A-Rod, Damaso Marte, and Nick Swisher were all originally trade acquisitions. A-Rod and Marte have both become free agents and resigned on new deals, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    A-Rod, Damaso Marte, and Nick Swisher were all originally trade acquisitions. A-Rod and Marte have both become free agents and resigned on new deals, though.
    I knew Marte was a trade acq.

I had to re-read the A-Rod deal to refresh the memory. ****.

Threads : 2

What if the Pirates built smart AND spent money? Couldn't that happen? I think many on this site are reacting to the "spend money" crowd by going too far to the other extreme. My own guessis that the Pirates' current ownership will never spend enough money to put themselves in a position for success. I like the youth movement, but I am waiting to see if in the next two years every guy who is due to make real coin in free agency is "too expendable" and must be sent off for prospects. Even more interested to see what happens if two or three or four young guys get very good and the Pirates are on the cusp but it comes time to pay those guys before the team explodes (say Cutch, Morton, Pedro all due big arbitration raises and a surprisingly good Doumit up for free agency all at once - forget signing guys to supplement this talent, will Nutting keep that team together?).

I digress, but my point is that everyone who complains about dollars spent has a point, just as everyone who says that spending money on has-been free agents is not the best way to build has a point. The Pirates have not spent money much OR well in so long, if you are being critical of them, you are probably right.

Threads : 31

The team right now is in the building phase. If they brought in a FA, they would likely be blocking a prospect. That's why they signed Church to an affordable short contract. He won't block Tabata but will help with needed depth this year. Signing a guy Joel Piniero would have blocked a guy like Dan McCutcheon , Kevin Hart or Brad Lincoln who's upside may be bigger, who knows? When the team is two or three years into this process then NH can think about plugging holes with FA's if necessary. I don't get hung up about the overall payroll right now because it will increase naturally as the roster matures. When the team gets better, more fans will show up, TV ratings get better and a higher payroll can be worked in.

The Mario/Burkle rumour is bringing out every idiotic fan and sportscaster in town. Nutting has done more positives for the team in 3 years of principle ownership than McClatchey could do in a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by PE1 View Post
    What if the Pirates built smart AND spent money? Couldn't that happen? I think many on this site are reacting to the "spend money" crowd by going too far to the other extreme. My own guessis that the Pirates' current ownership will never spend enough money to put themselves in a position for success. I like the youth movement, but I am waiting to see if in the next two years every guy who is due to make real coin in free agency is "too expendable" and must be sent off for prospects. Even more interested to see what happens if two or three or four young guys get very good and the Pirates are on the cusp but it comes time to pay those guys before the team explodes (say Cutch, Morton, Pedro all due big arbitration raises and a surprisingly good Doumit up for free agency all at once - forget signing guys to supplement this talent, will Nutting keep that team together?).

I digress, but my point is that everyone who complains about dollars spent has a point, just as everyone who says that spending money on has-been free agents is not the best way to build has a point. The Pirates have not spent money much OR well in so long, if you are being critical of them, you are probably right.
    The problem is that your entire post is really completely irrelevant to anything except to try and force "spending money" and "payroll" into threads and conversations. Your entire post is proof of this, you know why? Because it has absolutely nothing to do with the present. Nothing. You are so hard up to complain about money and payroll that you have to find a way to talk about it years down the road. You can't even stay relevant to the current and discuss the now because all you care about is "spending money" and "payroll". If you didn't, you wouldn't be consuming all of your time talking about "spending money" and "payroll" now or in the future.

sad

Is PE1 Joe Bendel?

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The problem is that your entire post is really completely irrelevant to anything except to try and force "spending money" and "payroll" into threads and conversations. Your entire post is proof of this, you know why? Because it has absolutely nothing to do with the present. Nothing. You are so hard up to complain about money and payroll that you have to find a way to talk about it years down the road. You can't even stay relevant to the current and discuss the now because all you care about is "spending money" and "payroll". If you didn't, you wouldn't be consuming all of your time talking about "spending money" and "payroll" now or in the future.

sad
    Not at all, I just get frustrated that so many people have developed a knee-jerk reaction to anything that could be read to suggest spending money. To wit, every free agent discussion is not about the player but about how dumb it would be to allocate $$ to that player. All I am saying is that it goes both ways - if $$ are irrelevant then they should not be the reason a proposed transaction is a bad idea. For example, I would much rather have Ankiel than Church on a one-year deal for example - nothing to do with $$, I like his power better given this team's deficiency there, and think he could otherwise play a similar role. Also, I would rather have Capps than not have him for the bullpen (and control his rights next year) although I recognize his performance sucked last year. However, many here hate these moves not because of the baseball implications but because of exactly what you claim I am desparate to talk about - dollars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information