Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

      
  1. #1
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Stan just went ballistic on a caller and by inference the "spend money" crowd on Stan, Guy, and Chris.

    Awesomeness.

    As many have stated innumerable times on this board and others the reason the Pirates have stunk for 17 years is incompetence, not unwillingness to spend money.

    Thank you Stan.

  2. #2
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    and Stan grew up an Indians fan

    What was the question and his response?

  3. #3
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Some dude from Greensburg called in and went on some rambling spew about the Yankees and free agency immediately after Stan noted that even with their big spending ways the Yankess still build through the draft.

    It was pretty sweet.

  4. #4
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some dude from Greensburg called in and went on some rambling spew about the Yankees and free agency immediately after Stan noted that even with their big spending ways the Yankess still build through the draft.

    It was pretty sweet.
    To be fair... the Yankees built through the draft in the 1990's and had more World Series success, but I'd have to argue about that now. Their roster is filled with Free Agents and trade acquisitions.

    Here's the roster that was on the field to clinch the World Series

    FA/Trades

    Texiera
    ARod
    Damon
    Swisher

    From their own system and such..

    Jeter
    Cano
    Posada
    Matsui
    Gardner
    Chamberlin
    Rivera

    Pitchers via FA/Trade :

    Petite
    Marte

    Their best Starting Pitchers were had in FA/Trades

    Petite
    Sabathia
    Burnett

    And their Top 3 power hitters were had via FA/Trades

    ARod
    Texiera
    Swisher


    In my Opinion. If the Yankees just relied on what they developed, they'd be a last place team. They've relied heavily on free Agency to build a winner. They'd never get to the World Series or playoffs without Free Agency buying them 3/5 of the SP staff and 3/3 of their best pitchers, and 122 homers (A-Rod, Swisher, Tex and Damon).

    That is EXACTLY why tema sin smaller markets are at a disadvantage in MLB and why teams like the Yankees IMO are frauds. They havent had to do an ounce of the work that small and middle market teams do to try and compete. Completely unfair system in MLB

  5. #5
    jnn123's Avatar
    Status : jnn123 is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 2,954
    Threads : 197
    Last Online : Nov-10-2013 @ 11:50 AM

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    You could still argue that those trade pickups were acquired through their draft and development process. They developed the pieces they needed to trade for those guys.

  6. #6
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Petite was "re-acquired" but started in the NYY organization.

  7. #7
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You could still argue that those trade pickups were acquired through their draft and development process. They developed the pieces they needed to trade for those guys.
    That is true.

    which guys were "traded" for and which ones were parts of trades? I can't remember

    Also let's not forget that it costs money to tretain alot of these players as well

  8. #8
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Petite was "re-acquired" but started in the NYY organization.
    you're right. I was completely thinking of someone else

  9. #9
    jnn123's Avatar
    Status : jnn123 is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 2,954
    Threads : 197
    Last Online : Nov-10-2013 @ 11:50 AM

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is true.

    which guys were "traded" for and which ones were parts of trades? I can't remember

    Also let's not forget that it costs money to tretain alot of these players as well
    A-Rod, Damaso Marte, and Nick Swisher were all originally trade acquisitions. A-Rod and Marte have both become free agents and resigned on new deals, though.

  10. #10
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A-Rod, Damaso Marte, and Nick Swisher were all originally trade acquisitions. A-Rod and Marte have both become free agents and resigned on new deals, though.
    I knew Marte was a trade acq.

    I had to re-read the A-Rod deal to refresh the memory. ****.

  11. #11
    PE1's Avatar
    Status : PE1 is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Dec 7, 2009
    Posts : 110
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Aug-18-2011 @ 01:30 PM

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    What if the Pirates built smart AND spent money? Couldn't that happen? I think many on this site are reacting to the "spend money" crowd by going too far to the other extreme. My own guessis that the Pirates' current ownership will never spend enough money to put themselves in a position for success. I like the youth movement, but I am waiting to see if in the next two years every guy who is due to make real coin in free agency is "too expendable" and must be sent off for prospects. Even more interested to see what happens if two or three or four young guys get very good and the Pirates are on the cusp but it comes time to pay those guys before the team explodes (say Cutch, Morton, Pedro all due big arbitration raises and a surprisingly good Doumit up for free agency all at once - forget signing guys to supplement this talent, will Nutting keep that team together?).

    I digress, but my point is that everyone who complains about dollars spent has a point, just as everyone who says that spending money on has-been free agents is not the best way to build has a point. The Pirates have not spent money much OR well in so long, if you are being critical of them, you are probably right.

  12. #12
    Shaker100's Avatar
    Status : Shaker100 is offline
    Rank : 3rd Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 803
    Threads : 31
    Last Online : Jul-18-2017 @ 07:26 PM

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    The team right now is in the building phase. If they brought in a FA, they would likely be blocking a prospect. That's why they signed Church to an affordable short contract. He won't block Tabata but will help with needed depth this year. Signing a guy Joel Piniero would have blocked a guy like Dan McCutcheon , Kevin Hart or Brad Lincoln who's upside may be bigger, who knows? When the team is two or three years into this process then NH can think about plugging holes with FA's if necessary. I don't get hung up about the overall payroll right now because it will increase naturally as the roster matures. When the team gets better, more fans will show up, TV ratings get better and a higher payroll can be worked in.

    The Mario/Burkle rumour is bringing out every idiotic fan and sportscaster in town. Nutting has done more positives for the team in 3 years of principle ownership than McClatchey could do in a lifetime.

  13. #13
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Quote Originally Posted by PE1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What if the Pirates built smart AND spent money? Couldn't that happen? I think many on this site are reacting to the "spend money" crowd by going too far to the other extreme. My own guessis that the Pirates' current ownership will never spend enough money to put themselves in a position for success. I like the youth movement, but I am waiting to see if in the next two years every guy who is due to make real coin in free agency is "too expendable" and must be sent off for prospects. Even more interested to see what happens if two or three or four young guys get very good and the Pirates are on the cusp but it comes time to pay those guys before the team explodes (say Cutch, Morton, Pedro all due big arbitration raises and a surprisingly good Doumit up for free agency all at once - forget signing guys to supplement this talent, will Nutting keep that team together?).

    I digress, but my point is that everyone who complains about dollars spent has a point, just as everyone who says that spending money on has-been free agents is not the best way to build has a point. The Pirates have not spent money much OR well in so long, if you are being critical of them, you are probably right.
    The problem is that your entire post is really completely irrelevant to anything except to try and force "spending money" and "payroll" into threads and conversations. Your entire post is proof of this, you know why? Because it has absolutely nothing to do with the present. Nothing. You are so hard up to complain about money and payroll that you have to find a way to talk about it years down the road. You can't even stay relevant to the current and discuss the now because all you care about is "spending money" and "payroll". If you didn't, you wouldn't be consuming all of your time talking about "spending money" and "payroll" now or in the future.

    sad

  14. #14
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Is PE1 Joe Bendel?

  15. #15
    PE1's Avatar
    Status : PE1 is offline
    Rank : Waterboy
    Join Date : Dec 7, 2009
    Posts : 110
    Threads : 2
    Last Online : Aug-18-2011 @ 01:30 PM

    Default Re: Stan Savran is Now My Hero

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is that your entire post is really completely irrelevant to anything except to try and force "spending money" and "payroll" into threads and conversations. Your entire post is proof of this, you know why? Because it has absolutely nothing to do with the present. Nothing. You are so hard up to complain about money and payroll that you have to find a way to talk about it years down the road. You can't even stay relevant to the current and discuss the now because all you care about is "spending money" and "payroll". If you didn't, you wouldn't be consuming all of your time talking about "spending money" and "payroll" now or in the future.

    sad
    Not at all, I just get frustrated that so many people have developed a knee-jerk reaction to anything that could be read to suggest spending money. To wit, every free agent discussion is not about the player but about how dumb it would be to allocate $$ to that player. All I am saying is that it goes both ways - if $$ are irrelevant then they should not be the reason a proposed transaction is a bad idea. For example, I would much rather have Ankiel than Church on a one-year deal for example - nothing to do with $$, I like his power better given this team's deficiency there, and think he could otherwise play a similar role. Also, I would rather have Capps than not have him for the bullpen (and control his rights next year) although I recognize his performance sucked last year. However, many here hate these moves not because of the baseball implications but because of exactly what you claim I am desparate to talk about - dollars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •