Thread: Steelers scouting director takes Buffalo job

Threads : 691

Default Steelers scouting director takes Buffalo job

Steelers scouting director takes Buffalo job
    Thursday, February 04, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Calling it the toughest decision he has ever had to make, Steelers pro scouting coordinator Doug Whaley is leaving after 10 years to become assistant general manager for the Buffalo Bills.

Whaley, a native of Upper St. Clair who was a safety and linebacker at Pitt (1990-94), is headed to an organization that already has some Steelers flavor. The Bills' vice president of college scouting is Tom Modrak, former scouting director for the Steelers, and their new head coach is former Steelers offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

"It was a gut-wrenching decision," said Whaley, 37. "I never had a tougher decision in my life. The Rooneys, [director of football operations] Kevin Colbert, everybody -- they're not only an unbelievable organization, but they treated me like family."

Whaley, who met Bills chief executive officer Russ Brandon several years ago at an executive training course at Stanford, interviewed Tuesday in Buffalo and was offered

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10035...#ixzz0ecEzeNgW
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers scouting director takes Buffalo job

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steelers scouting director takes Buffalo job
    Thursday, February 04, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Calling it the toughest decision he has ever had to make, Steelers pro scouting coordinator Doug Whaley is leaving after 10 years to become assistant general manager for the Buffalo Bills.

Whaley, a native of Upper St. Clair who was a safety and linebacker at Pitt (1990-94), is headed to an organization that already has some Steelers flavor. The Bills' vice president of college scouting is Tom Modrak, former scouting director for the Steelers, and their new head coach is former Steelers offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

"It was a gut-wrenching decision," said Whaley, 37. "I never had a tougher decision in my life. The Rooneys, [director of football operations] Kevin Colbert, everybody -- they're not only an unbelievable organization, but they treated me like family."

Whaley, who met Bills chief executive officer Russ Brandon several years ago at an executive training course at Stanford, interviewed Tuesday in Buffalo and was offered

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10035...#ixzz0ecEzeNgW
    Not sure if this is such a great loss?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nope, not a big loss at all.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    Not sure if this is such a great loss?
    Don't know much about him, but curious why you mention this.

Threads : 6
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe some fresh blood running the scouting department is exactly what Pittsburgh needs to get better at targeting late round players. New ideas and change can be exactly what the Dr. ordered in that department.

Threads : 60

Wiz gets an offer for head coaching, others get coaching offers from our staff. Personale from our staff get front office jobs and so on but, no one ever mentions Arians for head coach or what a good job he does. I wonder why ?

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Wiz gets an offer for head coaching, others get coaching offers from our staff. Personale from our staff get front office jobs and so on but, no one ever mentions Arians for head coach or what a good job he does. I wonder why ?
    Next season will be BA's last as an OC in the NFL. He will either be a WR coach in the NFL or will have to retreat to the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post

Because he ****ing sucks and to make matters worse we have a coach that fails to see it. Maybe Tomlin is keeping Arians around so when we fall below .500 again he can fire Arians and save his own *** for one more year.

I'm sick of these two *** clowns. I can't wait for the day they are both gone.

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Because he ****ing sucks and to make matters worse we have a coach that fails to see it. Maybe Tomlin is keeping Arians around so when we fall below .500 again he can fire Arians and save his own *** for one more year.

I'm sick of these two *** clowns. I can't wait for the day they are both gone.
    I think you will see Arians and Lebeau for their final seasons with the Steelers in 2010. There will more than likely be a lockout in 2011. In 2012 you will see Randy Fichtner and Keith Butler as our OC and DC respectively. Plus, as an added bonus, the Steelers won't have to pay two coordinators during the lockout.

Wouldn't be shocked if it was planned out to be honest. Why fire Arians and replace him with some other experienced coordinator when you can keep him around one more year to coach out his contract, all the while getting Ben used to working with Fichtner as the QB coach? This way Ben won't have a **** fit when Arians isn't kept around as he will hopefully have a nice relationship with Fichtner.

The players will already be used to Keith Butler. Talk about continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I think you will see Arians and Lebeau for their final seasons with the Steelers in 2010. There will more than likely be a lockout in 2011. In 2012 you will see Randy Fichtner and Keith Butler as our OC and DC respectively. Plus, as an added bonus, the Steelers won't have to pay two coordinators during the lockout.

Wouldn't be shocked if it was planned out to be honest. Why fire Arians and replace him with some other experienced coordinator when you can keep him around one more year to coach out his contract, all the while getting Ben used to working with Fichtner as the QB coach? This way Ben won't have a **** fit when Arians isn't kept around as he will hopefully have a nice relationship with Fichtner.

The players will already be used to Keith Butler. Talk about continuity.
    You may be on to something. This is a rare year where we only had a handful of head coaching changes. It sounds like the owners maybe cooking something up for 2011.

Threads : 6
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as I am / was on the fire Ariens band wagon, I will make a bold prediction about his future with the Steelers, one many won't like.

Bruce will not be fired after next season. He produced a 4,000 yard QB, two 1,000 yard receivers and a 1,000 yard running back. Ben loves him and with a few tweaks to the game plan, thanks to Mr. Rooney, and a new OL coach with attitude, the Steelers offesne will thrive in 2010.

I hate to say it but the NFL is now a passing league. As much as I loved our Steelers hard nosed running of years past, thats not what wins games anymore.

Don't get me wrong I want a great running game, I want the Steelers to be able to run teams over and close out games. But if you do not have an elite passing game to go with the ground game these days, you won't hoist the Lombardi either.

Again I am / was all for firing Ariens but I also feel if he alters his game plan to be more balanced with the run and pass and if the OL can get their **** together, the team has a chance to be one of the best passing / running teams in the league and today, balance is the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerguy26 View Post
    As much as I am / was on the fire Ariens band wagon, I will make a bold prediction about his future with the Steelers, one many won't like.

Bruce will not be fired after next season. He produced a 4,000 yard QB, two 1,000 yard receivers and a 1,000 yard running back. Ben loves him and with a few tweaks to the game plan, thanks to Mr. Rooney, and a new OL coach with attitude, the Steelers offesne will thrive in 2010.

I hate to say it but the NFL is now a passing league. As much as I loved our Steelers hard nosed running of years past, thats not what wins games anymore.

Don't get me wrong I want a great running game, I want the Steelers to be able to run teams over and close out games. But if you do not have an elite passing game to go with the ground game these days, you won't hoist the Lombardi either.

Again I am / was all for firing Ariens but I also feel if he alters his game plan to be more balanced with the run and pass and if the OL can get their **** together, the team has a chance to be one of the best passing / running teams in the league and today, balance is the name of the game.
    If he changes his ways and starts calling great plays and plans great game plans and we win I'll be all for keeping him. But if he does manage to do all that he will likely get a shot for a HC position somewhere, so next season we could both win and lose.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information