Thread: Super Bowl Notebook: Hampton's franchise tag would be $7 million

Threads : 691

Default Super Bowl Notebook: Hampton's franchise tag would be $7 million

Super Bowl Notebook: Hampton's franchise tag would be $7 million
    Friday, February 05, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Larry Roberts/Post-GazetteSteelers nose tackle Casey HamptonFORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- If the Steelers want to put the franchise tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton to prevent him from becoming a free agent next month, they now know what it will cost them.

The one-year salary required to pay Hampton would be $7,003,000, according to figures released Thursday by the NFL Players Association. That amount represents the average of the top-five salaries of defensive tackles in the NFL. Of those, Hampton was fifth-highest last season at $6,452,084. That represents not only his salary for 2009 but the prorated amount of his signing bonus and all other moneys earned.

The Steelers will try to negotiate a long-term contract with Hampton, kicker Jeff Reed and safety Ryan Clark before they can become unrestricted free agents March 5. However, if the Steelers cannot, they have two tools to try to keep those three players:

The franchise tender, which would not allow the player to sign elsewhere.

The transition tender, which does allow the player to sign elsewhere as a free agent but gives his current team the right to match any such contract and keep him. If a team does not match, it loses the player with no compensation in return. The transition tender represents the top-10 salaries at a specific position.

The franchise tender for kickers is $2,814,000 with a transition tender of $2,629,000. The franchise tender for safeties is $6,455,000 and $6,011,000 for the transition tender.

Restricted free agents
    In an unusual move, the NFLPA issued a list of prospective restricted free agents Thursday and did so assuming no new collective bargaining agreement in place, resulting in an uncapped year.

Based on that, new rules take place, including a measure that extends from four to six years the length of time a player needs to serve before he can become an unrestricted free agent. Those after years four and five become restricted instead.

The list for the Steelers includes tackle Willie Colon, who would have been unrestricted under the old rules. The other restricted free agents on the Steelers are cornerback William Gay, punter Daniel Sepulveda, running back Carey Davis, tight end Matt Spaeth and offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton.

Free agency begins with the league's new calendar year March 5.

Bleak NFL future painted
    NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith called the chance of league owners locking out the players for the 2011 season more than a certainty during an hourlong news conference.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 14," Smith declared.

He said he based his opinion on the fact owners have been preparing for a lockout, have demanded the players give back 18 percent of their current revenue and that the league extended its contracts with the TV networks that guarantees them $5 billion even if they do not play football in 2011.

"Has anyone of the prior deals included $5 billion to not play football?" Smith asked. "The answer is no."

The current CBA, extended in 2006, expires in 13 months, although there is language in that agreement that allows for a draft in 2011. Smith repeated a mantra of his predecessor, the late Gene Upshaw, who said if the NFL went through an uncapped season the players would never again agree to a salary cap.

Smith called it "virtually impossible to go back to a cap" if they do not have a new CBA by March 5.

Tennessee Titans center Kevin Mawae, the NFLPA president, said his organization has told its members to "prepare themselves for a lockout in 2011," although he said, "I really, truly in my heart believe a deal will get done."

A source close to the labor negotiations told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that if any deal is struck it likely will not come until just before the 2011 regular season is scheduled to start in September.

When or even if the owners lock out the players has not been determined.

Smith said that while the owners have provided their revenues to the union as required by the CBA they have not disclosed their profits. He cited a recent Forbes magazine estimate that NFL teams earned an average net profit of $31 million in the 2008 season.

The union also asked the owners to contribute 2 percent of those profits annually to a fund to benefit a fund for players who retired before 1993, when the current collective bargaining agreement was first put into place.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10036...#ixzz0elt71TFj
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Super Bowl Notebook: Hampton's franchise tag would be $7 million

It saddens me to say it, but, if these pack of ****ing greedy *** pricks (both sides) don't reach an agreement and it goes to a lockout, I'll be done with NFL football.

It is the same things I saw with the NBA (I haven't watched an NBA game in almost 20 years) and MLB (I haven't watched Major league baseball since their last strike). As soon as public money started getting used to build these rich **********s stadiums, I assumed the handwriting was on the wall. I'll be no part of anything that robs the populace of its money and in return gives them nothing back but rich jackass' (Players and owners) disregarding the fans and squabbling over greed.

You would think that they would understand who butters their bread and play football for the fans to enjoy and keep negotiating at the same time.

I'll just stick to college sports (though I'm not so sure that the greed there is any less than in professional sports anymore).

P.S. I'm sure some idiots will post something like "The NFL makes its money from TV revenue not the fans". I'll take the opportunity to call such a person/s a fool/s. Follow the money...TV revenue comes from advertisers, who get their money from companies, who get their money from consumer/fans. Not to mention the money for their venues is robbed from tax payers.

Threads : 122

Seems pretty insane that this could go down, from both sides.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems pretty insane that this could go down, from both sides.
    Definitely not looking good.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Then we might get to watch scabs/replacements games?!?! WHoo hoo !

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

who said if the NFL went through an uncapped season the players would never again agree to a salary cap.
    Here's an idea... Call Vince McMahon and start up your won ****ing Football League you greedy ****ing dicks.

I might go postal if the NFL reverts to the ****ing dark ages and turns into MLB. I couldn't ****ing handle watching Dan Snyder's Red Skins and Jerry Jones' Cowboys become the Yankees and Red Sox of the NFL. The thought is enough to make one sick.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Here's an idea... Call Vince McMahon and start up your won ****ing Football League you greedy ****ing dicks.

I might go postal if the NFL reverts to the ****ing dark ages and turns into MLB. I couldn't ****ing handle watching Dan Snyder's Red Skins and Jerry Jones' Cowboys become the Yankees and Red Sox of the NFL. The thought is enough to make one sick.
    Boy I'll drink to that!

Threads : 122

Considering they don't need a unanimous vote of yes, and just a majority, it seems ridiculous that the majority would allow this to happen knowing exactly what it would mean for the rest of them when Snyder & Jones would just start buying championships.

What kind of retarded thinking would have to be going on for them to allow the cap to go away?

Threads : 407

I see in the future....the Senate getting involved.

Threads : 413

Oh Christ. Isn't the government up our *** enough as it is?

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Oh Christ. Isn't the government up our *** enough as it is?
    I would say "Yes", ....but "they" don't think so.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we go to replacements, i'm trying out for kicker.

no ****.

think i'm playin.

lol
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=Mister Pittsburgh;51593]Considering they don't need a unanimous vote of yes, and just a majority, it seems ridiculous that the majority would allow this to happen knowing exactly what it would mean for the rest of them when Snyder & Jones would just start buying championships.

[HIGH-LIGHT]What kind of retarded thinking would have to be going on for them to allow the cap to go away?[/[/HIGH-LIGHT]QUOTE]

Greed induced delusion.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information