Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never give up

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Never give up

First thread in the forum. I'd like to see how this season's moves turn out next year. While I'm being realistic that they are not going to be in the playoffs next year, I'm hopeful they will be competitive.

Here's to next year's potential!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't worry - there's no "giving up" in me.

I gave up 10 years ago.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know how I feel. Something needed to be done with this organization. With MLB's economics teams like the Pirates can't compete with larger market teams in building teams instantly with throwing cash around. The Cam Bonifay and Dave Littlefield designs of having a few younger players that were good and filling the rest of the lineup with overpaid, overaged has been "band aids" while ignoring the minors and draft didn't work.

I'm all for this plan of building from bottom up. Tearing it all down and starting over again. However, to do this, means you have to wait. there';s also going to be some players that will turn out to be good, but will have tough and rough beginnings to their MLB careers. In a day and age where everyone demands instant gratification, the reality is, you have to allow the growing pains for players.

It's questionable whether Huntington and his scouts are good talent evaluators. Being good talent evaluators doesn't mean that you have to hit with every trade, but you 75% of what you bring in to be worth something. The jury is out on that but I like some of the guys that have been brought in. Ohlendorf is moving in the right direction towards being a top of the rotation guy, Mrton has the stuff, some of the nastiest stuff I've seen of a Pirates pitcher in some time, we have average enough lefties in the rotation, some potential with experience BP arms...

With the position players, if they move Andy LaRoche to 2nd and he really shook the thumb injury, that's a plus bat at 2B, Garrett Jones has a cou;le more good years in him, hopefully he can duplicate what he did this season, Cutch is te real deal and Milledge has the talent and skill set to be an above average hitter with power and above average UZR fielder.

I personally like where the team is heading. I knew well in advance that if they tore it all down and built from bottom we were going to witness some bad records and losing baseball. that's fine. It happened when the Pirates were rebuilding in the 80's. those 85 and 86 teams lost a ton of games, the Pens from 02-06 had trouble not finishing worst in the NHL. Hopefully in the future we'll have some baseball to give a **** about in September

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They are the Washington Generals imo. They just get paid to lose to all these Harlem teams. The league is ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are the Washington Generals imo. They just get paid to lose to all these Harlem teams. The league is ****.
    Only difference is, the Generals are an expansion team.

They haven't enjoyed a long tradition of futility like we have here in Pixxburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    Only difference is, the Generals are an expansion team.

They haven't enjoyed a long tradition of futility like we have here in Pixxburgh.
    They have been around since 1952 and have won 6 games in their entire history

Ok...Ok...

I just threw up the Rules (finally), still have to get around to putting them in the registration agreement, however, one Rule is no cross trolling of team forums. For instance, not a fan of the Pirates, or Pens or Steelers but are a fan of at least one of them, no going onto the others board and trolling. Let's allow fans of each team to enjoy discussing than having to deal with people "hatin'", yo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Ok...Ok...

I just threw up the Rules (finally), still have to get around to putting them in the registration agreement, however, one Rule is no cross trolling of team forums. For instance, not a fan of the Pirates, or Pens or Steelers but are a fan of at least one of them, no going onto the others board and trolling. Let's allow fans of each team to enjoy discussing than having to deal with people "hatin'", yo
    Is what I am doing considered trolling? I probably wouldn't be considered a fan of the Pirates by a real fan but I catch a game here and there I at least listen to the scores. If this type of situation developed with the Steelers or Penguins I would be saying the same thing. I would like to root for them but I am embarrassed by the fact this team is in my city. Sorry. I will just lurk in here if I am offending anyone

Yeah, I'm confused.

I guess if you're saying if I don't have anything cool to say about the Pirates, then STFU.

I guess I'm cool with that, sort of - but that's gonna be a tough one to enforce in the Irates forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Is what I am doing considered trolling? I probably wouldn't be considered a fan of the Pirates by a real fan but I catch a game here and there I at least listen to the scores. If this type of situation developed with the Steelers or Penguins I would be saying the same thing. I would like to root for them but I am embarrassed by the fact this team is in my city. Sorry. I will just lurk in here if I am offending anyone
    I'm just pointing out the rules since this was a good opportunity to do so. Neither of you were ever over at TBF so I just wanted to use this chance to point this out, especially since the boards are combined. What used to happen over at the Trib, can't happen either, where people would stroll in from the penguins board or steelers board and rile up the masses with anti-Pirates talk. I'm a tad overprotective of the Pirates and brotherhood like it were my own kid with down syndrome We know the team has stunk for an entire generation, we just don't like it rubbed in

Yeah, I'm confused.

I guess if you're saying if I don't have anything cool to say about the Pirates, then STFU.

I guess I'm cool with that, sort of - but that's gonna be a tough one to enforce in the Irates forum.
    It'll be enforced, don't worry about that but yeah, not so much nothing cool to say but anything that's going to put more of the truer or hardcore fans into defensive mode.

Ok, so if I want to rag on the Pirates, I can do so in the "hate" forum?

Threads : 22

As Kip knows, I am with him on the "direction".

The DL approach (one year signings) would have been ok if we ever had anyone behind them. But, as he kept putting on bandaids, nothing was getting done in the minors.

The "17 year thing" is bad enough as it is, but when if was affecting trying to break the streak at the risk of the organization as a whole, that's where things went really south.

Ok, so if I want to rag on the Pirates, I can do so in the "hate" forum?
    hate forums are more for ragging on other teams, players, commisioners etc... not for own teams and players. for instance, I guess it can be used by LVG to hate on willie parker or bdeff to hate on Judd Nelson, but not for anything that would constitue as trolling

I gotcha Kip. Since I wasn't on the tbf you don't know where I stand either. Call me a fair weather fan and since there has been very little good weather for the Bucs, I can't get into it. Just when they get some players I am interested in, boom they are traded. I know that is probably the billionth time you have heard that. I don't have the time to come up in every thread and tell you they suck. This just happened to be the first thread here. I'll keep quiet for the most part since I don't have much expertise and thus not much to add but I'll be reading. I want to read about how I should be looking forward to the upcoming season or if it is all just wishful thinking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information