Thread: Scouts Inc From ESPN INSIDER: STEELERS DRAFT NEEDS

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Scouts Inc From ESPN INSIDER: STEELERS DRAFT NEEDS

Pittsburgh Steelers

Top needs:
    1. CB: The Steelers' cornerback play was below par in 2009. The unit had no interceptions until the final week of the season. William Gay played poorly, Deshea Townsend is an unrestricted free agent (and old). The Steelers need a young guy with speed and man-coverage skills to go with Ike Taylor, who is a decent player even though he did not have a great 2009 season.

2. FS: Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter are UFAs and struggled as starters when SS Troy Polamalu missed 11 games. The Steelers need a range safety and a good tackler to potentially start at FS and serve as insurance for the oft-injured Polamalu.

3. NT/DE: NT Casey Hampton could leave as a UFA, DEs Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are older than 30 and young DE Ziggy Hood may not be ready. The Steelers' aging defensive front is due for a big makeover, and a two-gap nose tackle or a physical 3-4 defensive end would be a much-needed pickup.

Other needs: OG, C, ILB, OT

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Scouts Inc From ESPN INSIDER: STEELERS DRAFT NEEDS

Can't say those are the true draft needs until March, to see if any players are signed or tagged.

Threads : 277

That's obvious to us all, BDeff (no reflection on you), but who do you chose to start the rebuilding process.

I still like an OT, because there will be strong available OT candidates there at #18 and that's helps your runnign game and improves Ben's protection. (Draft the best OT and start him on the right side, moving Colon inside to Guard; start him on the left side and move Max to the RT and move Colon.)

There is only one CB first round talent (although others could develop once they play in the NFL) and that's Joe Haden,. who will be long gone when Steelers choose in Round 1..

At Safety, it is Earl Thomas, but like OT, there are about 6 Safeties who could fill our bill, meaning we can get one in Round 2.

NT Dan Williams reminds me a lot of Casey when the latter was drafted, albeit taller.

I still think they go OT at #18, CB/S or the reverse in Rounds 2 and 3.

(Keep an eye on the IUP DB, Awusu-Ansah (CB/S), who would be a great Fourth Round choice if he still is on the board or a "comp" after the Third, if we got one that high.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's obvious to us all, BDeff (no reflection on you), but who do you chose to start the rebuilding process.

I still like an OT, because there will be strong available OT candidates there at #18 and that's helps your runnign game and improves Ben's protection. (Draft the best OT and start him on the right side, moving Colon inside to Guard; start him on the left side and move Max to the RT and move Colon.)

There is only one CB first round talent (although others could develop once they play in the NFL) and that's Joe Haden,. who will be long gone when Steelers choose in Round 1..

At Safety, it is Earl Thomas, but like OT, there are about 6 Safeties who could fill our bill, meaning we can get one in Round 2.

NT Dan Williams reminds me a lot of Casey when the latter was drafted, albeit taller.

I still think they go OT at #18, CB/S or the reverse in Rounds 2 and 3.

(Keep an eye on the IUP DB, Awusu-Ansah (CB/S), who would be a great Fourth Round choice if he still is on the board or a "comp" after the Third, if we got one that high.
    Don't feel we are in "rebuilding mode". Just need to tune up a spot or two. I'm sure the FO already has a plan cause they know who they will be resigning and tagging, and then drafting. As far as CB, unless some great one falls into our lap, I see them them giving one of last years picks a shot, I may be wrong, but if they don't get one early in the draft, I expect to see some furocious competetion between mini camps, OTA's, and summer camp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information