Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft predictions

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Draft predictions

I think we'll draft Bryce Brentz. College bat with a ton of power who projects to be a good defensive corner of. He'll save us some money so we can invest in later rounds also. Here is a scouting report.

http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/07/14/2...-bryce-brentz/

Who do you like?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Draft predictions

Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we'll draft Bryce Brentz. College bat with a ton of power who projects to be a good defensive corner of. He'll save us some money so we can invest in later rounds also. Here is a scouting report.

Who do you like?
    This is what I'm talking about! Someone using some logic. I don't know if they'll draft a bat to save money, I just don't see them drafting a pitcher in the First Round and go College Bat.

Brentz sounds pretty inriguing

Threads : 45

I don't the names or anything about em, but I want to see a 5 tool middle infielder that projects to stay in the middle infield. I would love to see us get a Nomar type.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    I don't the names or anything about em, but I want to see a 5 tool middle infielder that projects to stay in the middle infield. I would love to see us get a Nomar type.
    Unfortauntely...

There's nobody at least this year projecting to that... so you have to hope that perhaps someone you have develops into that which is a long shot.

Im not concerned with that. I'd prefer above average defense in the middle infield with average at best bats. to get anymore would be great with a touch of luck but if I had to choose between offense and defense for middle infield, I'll take defense every time. I don't think above average offense with below average defense in the middle infield will offset the damage poor defense could do to pitching staff and runs against

Threads : 94

I think we'll draft [HIGH-LIGHT]Bryce Brentz[/HIGH-LIGHT]. College bat with a ton of power who projects to be a good defensive corner of. He'll save us some money so we can invest in later rounds also. Here is a scouting report.

Who do you like?

He's not on Benny's top 10 list....

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Unfortauntely...

There's nobody at least this year projecting to that... so you have to hope that perhaps someone you have develops into that which is a long shot.

Im not concerned with that. I'd prefer above average defense in the middle infield with average at best bats. to get anymore would be great with a touch of luck but if I had to choose between offense and defense for middle infield, I'll take defense every time. I don't think above average offense with below average defense in the middle infield will offset the damage poor defense could do to pitching staff and runs against
    I don't want to sacrifice defense for offense. I'm greedy, I want Ozzie Smith's glove and Hanley Ramirez' bat.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    I don't want to sacrifice defense for offense. I'm greedy, I want Ozzie Smith's glove and Hanley Ramirez' bat.
    That sounds great. I'll take 2.
    The only guy that looks like he could be a possibility at SS is Christian Colon. But I've read that his arm strength is not great. I don't want yet another SS who won't likely play SS at the major league level.
    I also don't want a pitcher. I know many great pitchers get taken in the first round, but I also no that none of them have been Pirates. If the Pirates take a pitcher in the first round, they might as well put Dr. Andrews on speed dial.
    Also, go look at the top pitchers of the past 20 years. The guys like Lincecum are the rarities. Most great pitchers were not taken in the first. Clemens was taken in the 12th. Maddux the 2nd. Just for fun go and look at the best pitchers in the game and you'll see that they come from a whole lot of places that are not the first pick of the draft. I would rather take a massive amount of pitching in the draft, and leave the first round to a stud bat.
    So, why not the other Bryce?
    I don't know why not, kid just rubs me the wrong way. He seems to just be waiting to be a flop. He oversold himself. People compare him to Sid Crosby, and it amazes me. Crosby is still the most humble, hard working player I've ever seen. That kid doesn't know what humble means.
    Brentz seems to be the least risky player that I can find for the first round. He also perfectly fits into NH's M.O. Taking a college bat in the first round is what he's done in each of the past two draft.
    Zack Cox is another name I could see come up.

That sounds great. I'll take 2.
    The only guy that looks like he could be a possibility at SS is Christian Colon. But I've read that his arm strength is not great. I don't want yet another SS who won't likely play SS at the major league level.
    I also don't want a pitcher. I know many great pitchers get taken in the first round, but I also no that none of them have been Pirates. If the Pirates take a pitcher in the first round, they might as well put Dr. Andrews on speed dial.
    Also, go look at the top pitchers of the past 20 years. The guys like Lincecum are the rarities. Most great pitchers were not taken in the first. Clemens was taken in the 12th. Maddux the 2nd. Just for fun go and look at the best pitchers in the game and you'll see that they come from a whole lot of places that are not the first pick of the draft. I would rather take a massive amount of pitching in the draft, and leave the first round to a stud bat.
    So, why not the other Bryce?
    I don't know why not, kid just rubs me the wrong way. He seems to just be waiting to be a flop. He oversold himself. People compare him to Sid Crosby, and it amazes me. Crosby is still the most humble, hard working player I've ever seen. That kid doesn't know what humble means.
    Brentz seems to be the least risky player that I can find for the first round. He also perfectly fits into NH's M.O. Taking a college bat in the first round is what he's done in each of the past two draft.
    Zack Cox is another name I could see come up.
    I share all of your sentiments. I don't like Pitchers in the first round either. I posted a pretty decent list showing some of the top pitchers in recent years and where they were drafted. you simply don't get the return value for a pitcher in the first round like you do with a hitter... pitchers are far too risky...

It's why I didn't like the pitching in the draft last year, and I'm not entirely sold on it this year. so "good" arms - yes, "great" arms? Not really. You've got a lot of arms that if they were in a different draft class would likely all get ranked far lower than they are now...

I also don't think huntington likes pitchers in the first round for all of the above reasons, so I won't even sit around and think about pitchers or even really look at them much for the first Round. There's no Stephen strasburg so I don't see Huntington going for a pitcher... I see him going after a good college hitter with decent defense... I'm not sure who is all available there, if Brentz is one of them... I'm interested. his power numbers looked sharp last season for sure.

anyone that spends time researching pitchers for the first round is probably wasting their time coughbennycough

Threads : 31

Bryce Harper was born on October 16, 1992 exactly 2 days after the Pirates last playoff game disaster, the Sid Bream/Francisco Cabrera/Stan Belinda/Jose Lind game we'd all like to forget . Is there some synergy in that fact?

Threads : 158

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    Bryce Harper was born on October 16, 1992 exactly 2 days after the Pirates last playoff game disaster, the Sid Bream/Francisco Cabrera/Stan Belinda/Jose Lind game we'd all like to forget . Is there some synergy in that fact?
    That's interesting and creepy at the same time

Threads : 197

Someone at Bucs Dugout pointed out how it's kind of funny that every time the draft is discussed now everyone assumes the Pirates will go college bat. Not because it's not true, but because of the team's history before Huntington. It's ridiculous.

After taking Barry Bonds and Jeff King in 1985 and 1986 the only college hitters the Pirates took in the first round between 1987 and 2007 were Jon Farrell (junior college 1991) and Jermaine Allensworth (Purdue 1993).

Somehow the second round is worse as between 1983 and today they only college hitters they've taken are Brad Corley (Miss. State 2005) and Brian Bixler (East Michigan 2004).

How is that even possible? The Pirates second round picks aside from Ryan Doumit and I guess Tom Gorzelanny have been unbelievable disasters that entire period.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Someone at Bucs Dugout pointed out how it's kind of funny that every time the draft is discussed now everyone assumes the Pirates will go college bat. Not because it's not true, but because of the team's history before Huntington. It's ridiculous.

After taking Barry Bonds and Jeff King in 1985 and 1986 the only college hitters the Pirates took in the first round between 1987 and 2007 were Jon Farrell (junior college 1991) and Jermaine Allensworth (Purdue 1993).

Somehow the second round is worse as between 1983 and today they only college hitters they've taken are Brad Corley (Miss. State 2005) and Brian Bixler (East Michigan 2004).

How is that even possible? The Pirates second round picks aside from Ryan Doumit and I guess Tom Gorzelanny have been unbelievable disasters that entire period.
    I'm in that grouping of people that thinks they will draft college bat. I don't look at what the GM's prior to NH have done. Everyone has their own styles and tastes... You have to look at Huntington and you have to read some of what he writes... Littlefield chose college players because they were closer to helping at the MLB sooner, I think NH prefers them (bats, DL liked pitchers) because there's less risk involved. His goal has been trying to infuse the system with as much talent as possible in a shorter period of time to build it up from the dust DL left it at... College bat is a far less riskier option for that plan than a HS hitter or even a HS pitcher (which are very high risk in the Top 5).

Maybe NH changes his risk approach as the system stabilizes more. Maybe that's this season? I feeling is that NH doesn't want to "miss" like Littlefield did. the chances of doing so with pitching in the 1st round is high, even higher with HS arms... the safest bet are college bats. I think that as long as Huntington isn't taking those gambles and risks you should assume he's going after a College Bat especially when there's no pitcher that is a great sure thing (much like last year)

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post

To be fair... if you go through the Pirates drafts as a whole over the years you're going to do a lot of and a little bit of some of these for the GMs . There's simply a lot of unexplained. I mean, it is amazing how little the Pirates have gotten out of their drafts. you'd think that sheer luck and averages would've helped the Pirates

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A lot of misses during "The McClatchey Years", was because they opted for signability over talent. NH has been aggressive, but sound in his approach to the draft so far. I have liked the way he has gone after the college committed HS players and didn't hesitate to draft Alvarez.
    I believe NH will take the BPA, which will be a College bat.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information