Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Madden : Bylsma needs to force more discipline

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...mr-nice-guy-by

Madden Monday: No more Mr. Nice Guy, Bylsma
    TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
    By: Mark Madden
    Beaver County Times

Monday February 15, 2010 12:03 AM

Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Jay McKee (74) tries to clear Nashville Predators right wing Patric Hornqvist (27), of Finland, out of the crease during the third period of an NHL hockey game in Pittsburgh, Sunday, Feb. 14, 2010. Nashville won 4-3 in a shootout. (AP Photo/Don Wright)

Somebody needs to tell Penguins coach Dan Bylsma what time it is.

Practice last Thursday was scheduled for 11 a.m. but started 20 minutes late, with coaches and players straggling onto the ice in varying interludes. The circumstance was not uncommon.

The practice itself wasn’t a waste of time, but it lacked precision and focus. It could have been better. Too much laughing and joking, not enough sweat. This, too, was not uncommon.

In Friday’s 3-2 overtime loss to the New York Rangers, the Penguins played like a team that has easy practices that often start late and lack structure. Same again in yesterday’s 4-3 shootout defeat vs. Nashville. Losses like that have been all too common, especially at home.

Bylsma double-crossed Penguins management by winning the Stanley Cup last spring. He was merely supposed to keep the seat warm until a well-considered choice for long-term coach could be made.

But Bylsma won, and the Penguins thrived under the freedom he gave them. How could he not be retained?

But now that freedom has the Penguins ragged at the edges. Some players — most notably Sidney Crosby — are disciplined enough to provide their own focus. Others are not. The further the Penguins get from the admittedly oppressive regime of Michel Therrien, the more fundamentals erode. There are lots of days off, days when the players don’t even come to the rink.

I’m not suggesting a change. I’m not even suggesting Bylsma isn’t a good coach. But the Penguins need more structure. The Penguins are 0-4 against New Jersey, a team that defines structure.

Defensive-zone coverage is lacking. How does Alex Ovechkin get behind everybody with the Penguins holding a 2-0 lead on the road? Forwards aren’t retreating deep enough for the breakout. Gritty, edgy play is practiced by only a select few. Evgeni Malkin takes one stupid penalty after another. Individuals are devolving, not evolving.
    Advertisement

Things are not dire. The Penguins are 36-22-4, just one point off the Atlantic Division lead and the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference.

But Bylsma needs to challenge his players. He needs to challenge himself, too. His NHL head-coaching career got off to a dream start. Will he be a one-hit wonder, or an all-time great? Bylsma has the tools and resources to be the latter. He needs to be less bothered with dressing-room popularity and more concerned with on-ice consistency.

To that end, Bylsma’s coaching staff needs tweaked. Tony Granato is a good No. 2, but Bylsma needs a bad cop. There shouldn’t be open hostility between staff and players as there was under Therrien, but with Bylsma, Granato and Mike Yeo, things are too buddy-buddy.

Badger Bob Johnson was the nicest guy ever. But practice started on time. Everyone came to the rink every day. Everything had structure.

Bylsma is just 39. He won the Stanley Cup as a rookie NHL head coach. What’s Byslma’s incentive?

Well, what was Crosby’s incentive when he became the youngest captain ever to lift the Stanley Cup, a feat that came after he had already won a scoring title and MVP award? What pushed him to top 40 goals this season, to become the best face-off man in hockey?

The legends don’t need a reason beyond wanting to be great. When Bylsma corrects his flaws, adjusts his staff and strives for greatness, the Penguins will be that much harder to beat. Last season’s success provided Bylsma a ring and will provide ample opportunity for years to come.

But what’s wrong with wanting more, especially when Bylsma is so capable and has the resources to achieve it?

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Madden : Bylsma needs to force more discipline

I was thinking about this the other day. Last year at this time the team needed a pat on the back, this time they need a kick in the ***. It is time for the older players to step up i think. Billy G and Jay Mckee as well as Gonch to instill some professionalism. Sid is to young to be a veteran, he is a captain that leads by example right now.

I also think that Geno needs discipline preached to him from his coaches and someone to be on top of him and challenging him. He has a different personality. He has taken a lot of dumb penalties and leads the team in total penalty minutes. You can't have that from an Art Ross trophy winner. He is also lost defensively in his own zone. I know I know, his point production has been a bit better lately, but he is not the same person he was last year. we need the old Geno back.

I hope that after the break the team steps up their intensity for the playoff run.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was thinking about this the other day. Last year at this time the team needed a pat on the back, this time they need a kick in the ***. It is time for the older players to step up i think. Billy G and Jay Mckee as well as Gonch to instill some professionalism. Sid is to young to be a veteran, he is a captain that leads by example right now.

I also think that Geno needs discipline preached to him from his coaches and someone to be on top of him and challenging him. He has a different personality. He has taken a lot of dumb penalties and leads the team in total penalty minutes. You can't have that from an Art Ross trophy winner. He is also lost defensively in his own zone. I know I know, his point production has been a bit better lately, but he is not the same person he was last year. we need the old Geno back.

I hope that after the break the team steps up their intensity for the playoff run.
    I think the first few games after the Olympics will be telling. By then, the trading deadline will have passed, and the roster set.

I don't know, I have a feeling they'll crank it up and start to play like they did at the beginning of the year. The urgency will be there, and the prize will be in sight.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I just get this feeling the Olympics have been a particularily a distraction for Geno, and he'll tear it up when he comes back.

Threads : 61

Not a big fan of Mark Madden, but he hit the nail right on the head. I (as well as GenoFan#1) have been *****ing about this for most of the season. If the Olympics have been a distraction for some of the players, then that just proves the point that much more. Players not getting paid to perform in the Olympics. They are getting paid to perform in the NHL. I don't have season tickets to the ****ing Olympics, so with my money, I expect to see an elite team perform at an elite level. Not this "can't hold a third period lead against a ****ty team" bull****. Not this "can't ****ing hold a three goal lead" bull****. Not this "can't score for **** on the powerplay" bull****. Hearing about sloppy practices just enrages me even more. I wish I could **** off on MY job for HALF of what they all make.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I pretty much hate Mark Madden and can safely say tat the guy doesn't know **** about sports but this is one of the few 2-3 times a year he makes a point or good one..

This team does like discipline, fire, determination and you get those things from the top. When Byslma came in last year he brought those things, the team, players turned it around with great focus and won the Cup.. This year? Focus, Discipline, Desire have all been missing or lacking ... at least since the injuries occured. Before the injuries came in, the team was lights out except for Mike Yeo's ****ty power play.

I say it with any sport and any team... everything starts at the top. If this team is lacking focus, tyhat falls on Bylsma, it's his job to get the focus out of his players. If the team lacks desire, that's on Bylsma to get it out of them, if they lack discipline... same thing.

Threads : 210

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    Not a big fan of Mark Madden, but he hit the nail right on the head. I (as well as GenoFan#1) have been *****ing about this for most of the season. If the Olympics have been a distraction for some of the players, then that just proves the point that much more. Players not getting paid to perform in the Olympics. They are getting paid to perform in the NHL. I don't have season tickets to the ****ing Olympics, so with my money, I expect to see an elite team perform at an elite level. Not this "can't hold a third period lead against a ****ty team" bull****. Not this "can't ****ing hold a three goal lead" bull****. Not this "can't score for **** on the powerplay" bull****. Hearing about sloppy practices just enrages me even more. I wish I could **** off on MY job for HALF of what they all make.
    Thank you ! Tank you ! Thank you

finally somebody say as i am a good analist

Threads : 1
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haven't the Pens been guilty of this kind of thing for years now. I thought it changed with Therrien. If my memory serves me right, he was brought in to get rid of the country club atmosphere.

How does that fat **** Madden know DB is buddy-buddy with the players? Has he seen them out drinking together?

Just because DB doesn't call out his players like MT, and act like an overbearing *******, doesn't mean he isn't doing what he needs to do.

In my view, this article is just Madden being Madden, i.e. pretending he knows more than he actually does.

In other words, just a fatter version of Shmizzlelnick.
    Last edited by Crosby Clan; Feb-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Threads : 15

just seems like another thing madden is trying to sturr the pot with, although i think he is a tool its his job to get listeners

well i dont know about Madden but like it or not , he is right.

the coach are way to soff , not sure why so .maybe they know as some

players were pushing to have Therrien fire . But if they dont wake up soon

and stop to pat players in the back , they are in trouble

this team is not play-off team like it's right now and i dont think as Shero will

make a trade to upgrade the situation, that's all i have to say.

coach have to be coach ,no matter if it's make players unhappy

they have to realise as they make big money and as they have to stop been

babies..

Staaler for exemple, have to practice his shooting .Get him on the ice every

day at 9.am everyday to practice every time Staaler shoot.

it's time as he understand as his shoot should be toward the net,

nowhere else

Have the defensemen to start practicing , defense and make sure as they

wont be afraid to break the 12 eggs they have in their pocket...

also , have the forward to play good defense .if a guy cant do it, he should

be benched a couple game at least

i am the feeling a Blysma is afraid to do so , cause he dont want to have

players again's himself ( like staller was doing again's Therrien )
    Last edited by Genofan#1; Feb-16-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Threads : 32

Great article and like others said.....Madden hits the nail on the head....He has the pulse of the team as he always does with the Pens.....You can see and sense the Pens lack "something" this year....some killer instinct, some desperation or desire....Malkin seems to be having a terrible year and the D is lackluster-look at our goals against so far......Anyway, Madden nails part of the problem here....the problem starts with the coaching staff......
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Signature by Viz...and in memory of him, Bill Shanaberger 1939-2010

Threads : 206

With all the hockey the Pens have played the last two years, I don't mind Bylsma taking it easy on them. I think they (the team and coaches) all know what needs to be done from this point on. I think we'll see a more focused effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ranrod7 View Post
    Great article and like others said.....Madden hits the nail on the head....He has the pulse of the team as he always does with the Pens.....You can see and sense the Pens lack "something" this year....some killer instinct, some desperation or desire....[HIGH-LIGHT]Malkin seems to be having a [/HIGH-LIGHT][HIGH-LIGHT]terrible year [/HIGH-LIGHT]and the D is lackluster-look at our goals against so far......Anyway, Madden nails part of the problem here....the problem starts with the coaching staff......
    Malkin is currently 11th in the league in scoring.

If that's a terrible year, I'll take another dozen guys like that.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    With all the hockey the Pens have played the last two years, I don't mind Bylsma taking it easy on them. I think they (the team and coaches) all know what needs to be done from this point on. I think we'll see a more focused effort.
    they better after the olympic . if not i start the topic "" fire the coach staff ""

and bring Mike Keenan

all the little babies will wake up and find ot as M. T. was their best friend

Hitler will make a omelette with the eggs they have in their pocket
    Last edited by Genofan#1; Feb-16-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information