Thread: Janikowski gets $9 million guaranteed

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Janikowski gets $9 million guaranteed

I don't know if "this" marks the beginning of No Cap which means guys like Davis and such can go throw money around... if this is the plan I hope they all throw money around like Al Davis by wasting $4 mllion per on a 4 year $16 million contract on Sebastian Janikowski along with a ridiculous $9 guaranteed...

HE'S A ****ING KICKER!!!!! This is why the Raiders SUCK.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Janikowski gets $9 million guaranteed

Meanwhile, somewhere Jeff has a huge smile on his face.

Threads : 197

Correction: You should say "Former first round pick Sebastian Janikowski." It's always funnier that way. In fairness he's probably their second best draft pick in the last decade.

Oakland Raiders fun fact: Adam Vinatieri attempted more extra points in 6 games for the Colts than Janikowski did in 16 games for the Raiders.

Should also note that this doesn't have much to do with the lack of a cap, as this deal is pretty much identical to the deal their punter Shane Lechler signed last year.
    Last edited by jnn123; Feb-16-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby Clan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Meanwhile, somewhere Jeff has a huge smile on his face.
    His agent sure does.

Kickers' salary bar rises for Steelers' Reed
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteSteelers kicker Jeff Reed has made 77 of 87 field goal attempts over the past three seasons.Jeff Reed's agent walked off a Florida golf course to a sight more satisfying than any birdie putt: His cell phone chirped with the news that the Oakland Raiders had just made Sebastian Janikowski the most expensive kicker in NFL history.

"I don't know what to tell you," Don Henderson said Tuesday afternoon. "The ironic part is, if you take a look at field-goal kickers the last three years, Jeff Reed leads the league in field-goal percentage."

Henderson said Steelers negotiator Omar Kahn called him Monday, apparently to begin negotiations on a new contract for Reed, who will become an unrestricted free agent March 5 without one. The news one day later that Janikowski signed a four-year, $16 million deal with the Raiders that includes $9 million in guaranteed money could not have come at a better time for Reed.

"Omar on Monday asked my opinion, and I said all I can tell you is what the stats tell me: that Jeff is the field-goal percentage leader in the NFL," Henderson said.

Reed has made 88.5 percent of his field-goal tries the past three years, 77 of 87. He was 27 of 31 this past season as well as in 2008 and kicked two field goals in Super Bowl XLIII. Janikowski, a former first-round draft choice known for his booming leg, has been good on 80.2 percent of his field-goal tries the past three seasons (73 of 91), including 26 of 29 in 2009.

Reed also kicks in one of the toughest home stadiums and in perhaps the toughest division for kickers in the NFL.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said Friday that Reed, nose tackle Casey Hampton and free safety Ryan Clark are the team's three priorities to negotiate contract extensions before free agency starts. All would become unrestricted if they do not. Colbert said the team would wait until the end of this week to begin negotiations.

The Steelers offered a contract to Reed just before the 2009 season began that was rejected.

"We tried to get something done before season and it just didn't work out," said Henderson, who said the amount of Janikowski's new contract did not surprise him. "We want to be in Pittsburgh and they know we want to be there."

NOTES -- Two Steelers are recovering from shoulder surgeries. Starting center Justin Hartwig and safety Ryan Mundy both underwent procedures of unknown nature after the season and have been going through rehabilitation. ... Coach Mike Tomlin filled the final opening on his staff when he hired Scottie Montgomery to coach the Steelers' wide receivers. Montgomery, 31, coached the wide receivers at Duke the past four seasons. He played the position for the Denver Broncos from 2000-02 after finishing among the career leaders at Duke.

Read more: http://pittsburghpost-gazette.com/pg...#ixzz0fnyp6Lie
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Correction: You should say "Former first round pick Sebastian Janikowski." It's always funnier that way. In fairness he's probably their second best draft pick in the last decade.

Oakland Raiders fun fact: Adam Vinatieri attempted more extra points in 6 games for the Colts than Janikowski did in 16 games for the Raiders.

Should also note that this doesn't have much to do with the lack of a cap, as [HIGH-LIGHT]this deal is pretty much identical to the deal their punter Shane Lechler signed last year.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    I had to go look it up after you mentioned it. WOW. Maybe one day they'll draft a QB that's worth paying

Henderson said Steelers negotiator Omar Kahn called him Monday, apparently to begin negotiations on a new contract for Reed, who will become an unrestricted free agent March 5 without one. The news one day later that Janikowski signed a four-year, $16 million deal with the Raiders that includes $9 million in guaranteed money could not have come at a better time for Reed.

"Omar on Monday asked my opinion, and I said all I can tell you is what the stats tell me: that Jeff is the field-goal percentage leader in the NFL," Henderson said.

Reed has made 88.5 percent of his field-goal tries the past three years, 77 of 87. He was 27 of 31 this past season as well as in 2008 and kicked two field goals in Super Bowl XLIII. Janikowski, a former first-round draft choice known for his booming leg, has been good on 80.2 percent of his field-goal tries the past three seasons (73 of 91), including 26 of 29 in 2009.

See ya later Skippy. Not way in hell I can see the steelers paying you more than $4 million per

Threads : 10

WOW.

And to think....

I could've been a kicker.....

Instead of a bum, which is what I am.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information