Thread: Big Ben Opens up On Madden's Show

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Big Ben Opens up On Madden's Show

ROETHLISBERGER OPENS UP ON MADDEN

Posted by mondesishouse | 2:50 PM | 105.9 the X, Ben Roethlisberger, Mark Madden, Pittsburgh Steelers | 0 comments

Mark Madden's Cavalcade of Stars has certainly lived up to its billing this week, and on Wednesday, Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger was Madden's star du jour.

I don't remember Roethlisberger doing a whole host of radio interviews over the years, so his mere presence was noteworthy. His tone throughout the interview seemed to indicate that he was willing to open up a bit, and open up he did. In the field of sports radio, this interview would be considered a rarity.

On the topic of running the ball more, Roethlisberger chuckled at the notion and said that the team needs to be more efficient. I totally agree. It's not how many times you run the ball, it's being able to run when you need to (i.e., 3rd/4th and short, goal-line, etc.), and the Steelers most certainly could not do so last season.

Large Ben also opens up about his 2007 near-fatal motorcycle accident ("My face was split open...") and reminding Hines Ward of the accident's severity this season. He also tackles a variety of other topics, including the defense's expectations of the offense, the Hall of Fame, the Steelers' offensive line, and much, much more. He even talked about his offseason, including his restaurant interests in South Carolina and going to Penguin games.

The recent changes in local sports talk radio have definitely changed the marketplace, and in a good way. The stations are pushing each other to do their best, and this interview was an indication of such. In the past week, I've heard so many sports luminaries on the airwaves that my head is spinning. I don't know which station will come out on top when this is all said and done, but I know which group of people will definitely be the winners: Pittsburgh sports fans.

(click for----- > Ben Roethlisberger on Mark Madden <-----podcast) [WXDX]

Email: Mondesishouse@gmail.com Twitter: twitter.com/mondesishouse Facebook: Facebook Group

http://mondesishouse.blogspot.com/20...on-madden.html
    Last edited by Kipper; Feb-18-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Threads : 197

Default Roethlisberger on the Mark Madden show

Roethlisberger doesn't do many radio interviews around town, but decided to drop in for Mark Madden's Cavalcade of Stars this week. Madden manages to get some good stuff out of him. Ben defends the way he holds onto the ball, the Bruce Arians offense, the run-pass mix, and most of the other issues that came up through the year.

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...0217160052.mp3

Threads : 4

Default Re: Big Ben Opens up On Madden's Show

Madden's a moron and anyone who listens to him deserves him. Ben should be embarrassed that he went on that idiots show. Madden is the only guy who can call a caller an idiot and the caller still talks to him! Big Ben's stock just took a dive as far as I'm concerned. In a battle of wits Madden is completely unarmed!
    No one ever says "It's only a game," when their team is winning!

Threads : 10

Listened to the show yesterday....

Had some comments, but I forgot them.

Well, except for the one comment made by Ben.

He stated that Heath Miller is really smart because when Ben calls a play wrong in the huddle, Heath will correct him.

I guess my point in this goes back to Bettis stating that the Steelers keeping arians "is a good thing because Ben knows and understands that offense".

I said then it sounded like Jerome was saying that Ben wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, and I think the admission in the pod cast underscores it.

Whatever....

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to play football but I think Heath better become an everydown player on that offense just because.

Threads : 23

Big Ben is da bomb.

That is all.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Ben and Madden lived two doors down from one another for two years in Washington's Landing. Ben does not do it too often, but he does make a few appearances on Madden's show every year. Madden has also gone on record in print and on the air how Ben treated he and his mother when Ms. Madden was ill.

Mark never "crowded" Ben like others in that media do. Madden left him alone and gave him his space. Unlike the old geezers in that town who feel entitled to know every detail of Ben's life. Pompeani is the same way, and that's why he and Ben get along well also.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listened to the show yesterday....

Had some comments, but I forgot them.

Well, except for the one comment made by Ben.

He stated that Heath Miller is really smart because when Ben calls a play wrong in the huddle, Heath will correct him.

I guess my point in this goes back to Bettis stating that the Steelers keeping arians "is a good thing because Ben knows and understands that offense".

I said then it sounded like Jerome was saying that Ben wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, and I think the admission in the pod cast underscores it.

Whatever....

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to play football but I think Heath better become an everydown player on that offense just because.
    Athletically there's not a QB in the league that can do what Ben does or does it. He's accurate, can move the offense, can throw...

Football players aren't exactly supposed to be the brightest collection of people on the planet. They didn't goto college based on their IQ and sAT scores, they went because their athletic gifts got them there..

Saying that, if Ben forgets some plays and such, piling on top of that having him call protection and make line adjustments might very well be overkill at times. There's clearly times when either the wrong play is called, a blitz scheme wasn't picked up, wrong protection was called. I mean, these are things that have been said to have happened ... but that's a hell of a lot IMO . Brightest crayon in the box or not

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Ben and Madden lived two doors down from one another for two years in Washington's Landing. Ben does not do it too often, but he does make a few appearances on Madden's show every year. Madden has also gone on record in print and on the air how Ben treated he and his mother when Ms. Madden was ill.

Mark never "crowded" Ben like others in that media do. Madden left him alone and gave him his space. Unlike the old geezers in that town who feel entitled to know every detail of Ben's life. Pompeani is the same way, and that's why he and Ben get along well also.
    Smizik, Collier, Cook and Bouchette thank you for only calling them "geezers"

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hard to say if Ben was academically challenged or not, the results of wonderlic score tell the story.

2004 QB's.....total tested 27.
    No. 1 Eli......score 39.
    tied at 3rd...Schaub...Losman....score 31.
    next with 2 others...Rivers....score 30.
    Ben tied with 4 others at 10th...score 25.

Click on the link below and see some real shockers....lol....Batch and Kordell both....13.5 OMFG????

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Athletically there's not a QB in the league that can do what Ben does or does it. He's accurate, can move the offense, can throw...

Football players aren't exactly supposed to be the brightest collection of people on the planet. They didn't goto college based on their IQ and sAT scores, they went because their athletic gifts got them there..

Saying that, if Ben forgets some plays and such, piling on top of that having him call protection and make line adjustments might very well be overkill at times. There's clearly times when either the wrong play is called, a blitz scheme wasn't picked up, wrong protection was called. I mean, these are things that have been said to have happened ... but that's a hell of a lot IMO . Brightest crayon in the box or not
    Athletic ability is definately above average, as it was with Bradshaw...

But, Terry had Webster helping him out with a lot of the mental stuff on the field.

If Heath shows that kind of aptitude along with his above average athletic ability, there is no reason to take him off the field, barring injury, and put Spaeth in.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by First off, love the show View Post
    Madden's a moron and anyone who listens to him deserves him. Ben should be embarrassed that he went on that idiots show. Madden is the only guy who can call a caller an idiot and the caller still talks to him! Big Ben's stock just took a dive as far as I'm concerned. In a battle of wits Madden is completely unarmed!
    Well I guess I deserve him as do many others(he has had the highest ratings per Pgh sports talk shows for years) If you dont like to listen to his show, that fine. I dont agree with all of his opinions but his show is much more entertaining than most sport talk shows(I would like his show better if they would can the music)
    I didnt know Big Ben was a stock. If you're selling, I'm buying

Threads : 23

Can I get a feed of these shows online? Like a live feed?
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Use the link in the OP.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information