Thread: After The Olympics Needs For The Pens

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default After The Olympics Needs For The Pens

Let's try this again n at

After The Olympics Needs For The Pens

It's sort of humorous that there almost seems to be this sense of panic and such regarding the Penguins to the extent where maybe it is conditional that at every point in the season Penguins fans have to turn into drama queens, throw their hands up in the air and scream as they run in circles.

Some are throwing blame at Evgeni Malkin for not producing the same numbers as last season. Some are blaming the defense, some are saying that Alex Goligoski is too Soff and we need the tough and physical Rob Scuderi to return. Whatever it may be it is almost as if Penguins fans are purposely looking for something to complain about.

The fact of the matter is, all of this complaining and blaming and finger pointing is being caused by a team that is currently ;

• 1 point out of first Place in it's division

• The 4th seed in the conference (2 points from being the 2nd seed).

• The Pens have scored the 4th most goals in the NHL

The Penguins aren't really in desperate trouble right now. While Mark "jabba the hut" Madden recently touched on a couple of good points in an article regarding complacency amongst players that is possibly trickling down from the Head Coach, this team is a lot closer to being a 2nd seed in the Conference than they are being a 9th seed like they were at around this time last season.

Are there some players that need to step up certain aspects of their play? Most certainly, but this can be applied to every player. The biggest issue with this team right now is one that can be solved without any player additions and that is ;

More Desire to win, more will to succeed, stronger mental game, more dedication to winning and a stronger emphasis on details.

Details? Ah yes, it's that worn out cliche that you hear announcers, players and coaches repeat so often that you wonder how it isn't just a natural ocurrance since everyone is aware of it's need. Such is anything in life, everything we do takes the will to do it and it takes even greater desire to do it well.

One the biggest issues with this team is the lack of deatils. They simply aren't doing the little things. Whether it's due to a lack of will and desire, laziness, poor mental concentration .. the details are lacking. You can see it in their play mainly during this previous middle part of the season. Neutral zone play which is a strength of Dan Bylsma's system was very loose and giving. Play in our own end was very loose along with missed assignments galore from the forwards and every defenseman from Gonchar to Orpik looking lost at times. The forecheck has stabilized pressure and possession as long as it normally it does and needs to under Dan Bylsma's system..

These are all things that this group can fix, that this group has shown as early as the first month or 2 of the season that they can do very well.. They just need to simply CARE a little more. The most important month of the Regular Season is about to begin soon and this will tell us all we need to know about the Penguins going forward. This month shows which teams really care. The addition of any player during the Trade Deadline that would be within reasonable means for the Penguins isn't going to mean anything if enough of the players on this team don't play with a purpose, a true purpose, desire and will to win.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: After The Olympics Needs For The Pens

For starters, let's hope that a country other than Canada, USA or Russia wins the Gold medal, that way our boys will be hungry to win!

I honestly feel that after Malkin's injury, he took his game down a gear to make sure he got to the Olympics. I don't blame him. For the Russian players... a Gold Medal is everything and that's how your legacy will be measured against all the other great Russian/Soviet players. It's different for Sid. He will be measured by the number of Stanley Cups he wins. So I look for Geno to ramp his game up.

The team, as a whole, can improve as well! Paying attention to detail and doing the little things (that wins the close games) will be paramount! The Pens did them last year (and earlier this season) and are capable of doing it again.

If no trades are made, I still feel confident that this team can repeat. It will be won or lost with maximum effort, doing the little things well, avoiding serious injury and getting a few lucky bounces along the way!

....Just like last season.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree that there really is no need to panic at this time. Just look at where we were last year at this time!

Just a couple of my own thoughts, in addition to those already mentioned:

1. The Pens have played a ****load of games in the last 2 3/4 seasons - more than anyone else (along with Detroit). The cumulative effect has to wear you down, especially mentally.

2. When the Olympics are over, our star players will likely become refocused. I don't care how you slice it, this has been a distraction.

3. I think it was a Rangers broadcaster that commented that the Pens seem to think they can turn it off or on when they want. It certainly seems that has been the case, and maybe points 1. and 2. above are a factor in that thinking. I'm don't think this reasoning is sound (unless you are far above everyone else in talent), so they need to fix this process, if true.

In all, if they start to play like they're capable of playing, and stay healthy, they'll be a force. Is the desire there? We'll see.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby Clan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that there really is no need to panic at this time. Just look at where we were last year at this time!

Just a couple of my own thoughts, in addition to those already mentioned:

1. The Pens have played a ****load of games in the last 2 3/4 seasons - more than anyone else (along with Detroit). The cumulative effect has to wear you down, especially mentally.

2. When the Olympics are over, our star players will likely become refocused. I don't care how you slice it, this has been a distraction.

3. I think it was a Rangers broadcaster that commented that the Pens seem to think they can turn it off or on when they want. It certainly seems that has been the case, and maybe points 1. and 2. above are a factor in that thinking. I'm don't think this reasoning is sound (unless you are far above everyone else in talent), so they need to fix this process, if true.

In all, if they start to play like they're capable of playing, and stay healthy, they'll be a force. Is the desire there? We'll see.
    I agree with the mental drain all these games take on most players. Perhaps Sid is the exception.

But to those who complain because they could be doing better, ie a higher seed, better record, score more points, give up less is pretty dumb. Injuries this year have made a significant contribution to the results. The fact that this team survived them is often overlooked. Personally, I don't place a lot of importance to the rankings. I want to see the team building towards the playoffs, not peaking in November and then stuggling to regain the form once the playoffs start.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with the mental drain all these games take on most players. Perhaps Sid is the exception.

But to those who complain because they could be doing better, ie a higher seed, better record, score more points, give up less is pretty dumb. Injuries this year have made a significant contribution to the results. The fact that this team survived them is often overlooked. Personally, I don't place a lot of importance to the rankings. I want to see the team building towards the playoffs, not peaking in November and then stuggling to regain the form once the playoffs start.
    I think the after effects of the injuries have been really huge. There's no been one player who didn't sit out a decent period of time that hasn't looked worse than they did prior to the injuries. In some cases like Gonchar, Goligoski and Letang, they looked weak in their own end. Orpik as well for that matter.

I don't have an answer for it but I know that a trade or 2 won't make much difference. The biggest and best improvements for this team will and have to come from within..

If they want it ... they'll bring it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information