Thread: Williams could help Steelers' special teams

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Williams could help Steelers' special teams

Williams could help Steelers' special teams
    By Murray Mccormick, The Leader-Post
    February 20, 2010

Rey Williams celebrates after sacking Calgary Stampeders quarterback Henry Burris during the 2009 West Final.

Perseverance paid off with a shot at the NFL for former Saskatchewan Roughriders middle linebacker Rey Williams.

Each year Storm Kirschenbaum, Williams' agent, compiles a highlight video of his client's previous season and sends copies to NFL teams. This year, that video helped Williams sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"It's totally luck of the draw,'' said Williams, who signed with the Steelers on Feb. 12. "I don't know what made them open it or even look at it, but they saw my highlight film. The guy who brought me in also remembered me from college (Hofstra) because they were high on me from then. He said that they had lost track of me but after they saw my highlight film, they were blown away.''

Williams amassed those highlights in two-plus seasons with the Roughriders, amassing 97 tackles and six sacks. In 2009, Williams took over as the starting middle linebacker, recording 59 tackles and three sacks despite missing five games with a knee injury.

Williams was at his best in the playoffs. He had 10 tackles and three sacks in the Riders' 27-17 victory over the Calgary Stampeders in the West Division final. Williams followed that up with 11 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble in Saskatchewan's 28-27 loss to the Montreal Alouettes in the Grey Cup.

Williams also contributed on special teams with eight tackles in 2009 and 29 tackles in his career. The Steelers are looking for the Williams to bolster a special teams unit that was among the worst in the NFL. Pittsburgh's kickoff coverage was ranked 30th, after allowing four kickoff returns for touchdowns. The punt-coverage team was rated 24th.

It was through special teams that Williams was able to catch on with the Riders in 2007 after stints in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers. Williams started his trek though the NFL after graduating from Hofstra in 2004.

"That's how it is in football,'' said Williams, who is 6-foot-0 and 228 pounds. "Once you get on special teams, they may open a place for you on defence. That's all you can wish for and hope that everything turns out for the best.''

Kirschenbaum said that the 28-year-old veteran will be more than another body to fill out the Steelers' training-camp roster.

"There is the perception that he's just another training-camp body,'' said Kirschenbaum. "People don't realize that when you have three years in the league, they have to sign the player to a minimum of three credit seasons. They aren't going to waste their money on a guy they think is a camp body.''

Williams was also left with that feeling after meeting with the Steelers.

"They seem genuinely excited to have me there,'' said Williams. "They know that I'm a good special-teams player and that's where they are really hurting right now. They want me to be the dog because they went from the top of the league in 2008 to the bottom in 2009. That's where they really want me to focus on.''

Williams is the third member of the Riders' 2009 defence and the 18th CFL player to sign with an NFL team this off-season. Defensive end John Chick, the CFL's most outstanding defensive player in 2009, signed with the Indianapolis Colts. The other defensive end, Stevie Baggs, who tied for the league lead in sacks with 12, signed with the Arizona Cardinals.

Williams is also the second CFLer to sign with the Steelers in two years. Stefan Logan, a former member of the B.C. Lions, starred as a returner with the Steelers last season.

Williams, who took over at middle linebacker after Maurice Lloyd signed as a free agent with the Edmonton Eskimos, feels the Riders will be OK despite the losses. There is depth at middle linebacker with Mike McCullough, Jerrell Freeman and Kye Stewart.

"They still have guys like Omarr (Morgan) and Mike (McCullough) and (Gary) Etcheverry is a great coach,'' said Williams, who trains in Atlanta with Baggs. "Besides, in football, they will always find someone else. People were mad when Mo left but we carried on without him. They will be all right. One thing about football is things keep going.''

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Wil...641/story.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Williams could help Steelers' special teams

Seriously,at this point,isn't anyone considered an upgrade??

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously,at this point,isn't anyone considered an upgrade??
    Yes... Yes they are...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

OMG....

It's a Les sighting!

In a year from now, Williams may possibly have a starting job at ILB if we see another season of lackadaisical play from Timmons. Sorry, I had to throw that in there. Timmons, a first round draft choice entering his FOURTH SEASON, has yet to impress me. I'll give him one more season to turn it up. If that doesn't happen then I'll label him a complete BUST!

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    OMG....

It's a Les sighting!
    Where??That prick owes me money???

Threads : 277

Now, if the guy only could kickoff.....!

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    In a year from now, Williams may possibly have a starting job at ILB if we see another season of lackadaisical play from Timmons. Sorry, I had to throw that in there. Timmons, a first round draft choice entering his FOURTH SEASON, has yet to impress me. I'll give him one more season to turn it up. If that doesn't happen then I'll label him a complete BUST!
    Timmons blows.
    This Williams guy isn't much more than camp fodder, but he may serve as a stop gap since we have so many needs and no way to fill them all in the draft and free agency this year. At least that is what I think.

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Timmons blows.
    This Williams guy isn't much more than camp fodder, but he may serve as a stop gap since we have so many needs and no way to fill them all in the draft and free agency this year. At least that is what I think.
    I disagree, Timmons will be fine now that he is in the line up, he will get comfortable. Williams could be a good backup to both Timmons and Farrior though, who knows, he could bump Farrior, whose play is starting to fall off IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    Timmons will be fine now that he is in the line up, he will get comfortable.
    Agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    I disagree, Timmons will be fine now that he is in the line up, he will get comfortable. Williams could be a good backup to both Timmons and Farrior though, who knows, he could bump Farrior, whose play is starting to fall off IMO.
    Well I respectfully disagree. I heard the same things about Timmons just prior to last season:"Timmons will be fine" "Give him a few games to learn the system" "Timmons is going to be a beast", on and on and on.

Sorry, I haven't seen much from him yet. It's high time to realize that Timmons is not a 3rd or 4th round draft choice entering his 2nd season. The guy is a 1st round draft choice entering his fourth **** season! When are we going to see the beast in him on a more consistent basis? Jesus Christ, a **** QB would have learned the most complicated of offenses by his 4th season. We actually saw more from Timmons when he was not a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Where??That prick owes me money???

Want me to rough him up a little for ya?

Not a big Timmons fan myself....

Threads : 1

Williams is going to be a special teams player. If he is seeing duty at either ILB position then Timmons is hurt, Farrior is over the hill as many suspect or the rookie we draft doesn't pan out.

Other than any of those things happening Williams will be making plays on special teams.

Papillon

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information