Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pens/Caps at PNC Park?

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pens/Caps at PNC Park?

BRADENTON, Fla. -- On a sunny, 74-degree day in Pirates spring training, team president Frank Coonelly paused for a moment to talk ... hockey.

On the North Shore.

On New Year's weekend 2011.

"Caps-Pens. Ovechkin and Crosby. At PNC Park," Coonelly mused Sunday, saying that the Pirates indeed have informed the NHL about their interest in playing host to the next Winter Classic which, they hope, could star Washington and Alex Ovechkin against Sidney and the Penguins.

"To me, it's the next logical venue," he added. "We've talked to the NHL the last couple of years, really after the success at Wrigley [Field] and Fenway [Park]," sites of the past two New Year's Day events pitting Detroit against Chicago and Boston against Philadelphia. He continued that, even more than those iconic ballparks, their 9-year-old venue offers a "picturesque location between the ballpark and the Pittsburgh skyline behind it."

The Penguins won in a shootout in the first Winter Classic in 2008 at Buffalo. N.Y., and soon afterward let NHL officials know they wanted to bring the game -- an instant NBC-television and marketing success -- to Pittsburgh.

"We have two great facilities to hold that -- Heinz Field and PNC Park," Penguins vice president Tom McMillan said, reiterating the Penguins' pitch to NHL administrators. "That's up to the league to make the choice of where they want it."

That inaugural Winter Classic was played in the NFL Buffalo Bills' Ralph Wilson Stadium before 71,217 fans. The ballpark crowds the past two Januarys were almost half that size, representing a significant drop in potential revenue from tickets that ranged from $50 to $350 apiece at Boston.

New York and Yankee Stadium seemed to be a front-runner -- Capitals-Rangers? -- for 2011, but officials signed a contract to hold a college football bowl game there between Christmas and New Year's Day each of the next four years. The NHL prefers a two-week period to construct and tear down the temporary rink and staging, although either the Mets' Citi Field or possibly new Giants Stadium conceivably could be open to the Winter Classic.

This year, New Year's Eve is a Friday, and a Winter Classic with the city's penchant for fireworks exploding over the skyline could make for a scintillating perspective and signature portrait. However, Coonelly talked about making it a weekend extravaganza the same as Boston did: playing host to college games with Robert Morris University one night and scheduling high school hockey games at other times.

The Penguins and the Consol Energy Center opening later this year have bid for other celebrated sporting events. The new arena will be home to first- and second-round games in the 2012 NCAA men's basketball tournament, and Penguins officials made a formal application to hold an NHL All-Star Game, with 2011's still up for grabs. "We're looking to bring a lot of events to Pittsburgh," McMillan said.

NHL administrators are expected to confer and make a determination next month.

"Right now," Coonelly said, "all their attention is on the Olympics."
    http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10053/...#ixzz0gGgnNVnt

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pens/Caps at PNC Park?

I don't know why the Pirates would be pushing for this. It needs to wait a few years before it happens. If it happened during the streak, all you would hear on national TV would be "it's about time a major league team is in that stadium" jokes. Not needed.

Threads : 1
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know why the Pirates would be pushing for this. It needs to wait a few years before it happens. If it happened during the streak, all you would hear on national TV would be "it's about time a major league team is in that stadium" jokes. Not needed.
    You optimistic things will be different in a couple years?

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by Steelghost View Post
    You optimistic things will be different in a couple years?
    That's why I'd rather see them at Heinz Field instead. It would draw a bigger crowd and we could hear about the Steelers and their successes instead of the Pirates and their failures during the broadcast. Not sure if the Rooneys would ever consider this though.

Threads : 34

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules View Post
    That's why I'd rather see them at Heinz Field instead. It would draw a bigger crowd and we could hear about the Steelers and their successes instead of the Pirates and their failures during the broadcast. Not sure if the Rooneys would ever consider this though.
    Well, the one (and biggest) problem with having it at Heinz field, is that the turf at that field is bad enough. they don't need this on there tearing up the turf in the middle of playoff season. This game is on New years day. So Presumably, the Steelers should be in the playoffs, and there is always a good chance that they will have homefield advantage. So this is the reason why I don't think you will ever see it at Heinz field. The Rooneys don't want something like this on the field during playoff season.

FYI, January 1st 2011 is on a saturday. So you would either have to worry about the steelers last home game of the regular season or the wild card weekend. And even if they worked it out so that the Steelers were playing away during the last week of the regular season there is always the unknown variable of hosting a home playoff game the following week.

Maybe they could do it at heinz during the lockout season of 2011-12 lol
    Last edited by BGK; Feb-22-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't like the idea of having it at baseball stadiums! I know they said that the"pitch" of a football field makes it difficult to make a rink level.

I guess Michigan and Michigan State are going to play outdoors at the "Big House" around Christmas. I wonder if, since the rink will already be built, they'll try to put the Red Wings there vs the Maple Laughs. Canada needs a team in it. No more or less intriguing then Flyers vs Bruins!

Looking into the future..... Would Pens fans travel to the "Horse Shoe" in C-bus to see the Pens play the Blue Jackets? ....There are only X number of cold weather cities. Columbus is one of them. I would make the 2-1/2 hour drive from Toledo!

BTW: The Frozen Four is at Ford Field this year. Picture that! They are being smart and running the rink from sideline to sideline, bringing in portable seating and only using 1/2 the field (Similar to Syracuse basketball). The endzone seats will be prime!!!
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Feb-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Threads : 34

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    I don't like the idea of having it at baseball stadiums! I know they said that the"pitch" of a football field makes it difficult to make a rink level.

I guess Michigan and Michigan State are going to play outdoors at the "Big House" around Christmas. I wonder if, since the rink will already be built, they'll try to put the Red Wings there vs the Maple Laughs. [HIGH-LIGHT]Canada needs a team in it.[/HIGH-LIGHT] No more or less intriguing then Flyers vs Bruins!

Looking into the future..... Would Pens fans travel to the "Horse Shoe" in C-bus to see the Pens play the Blue Jackets? ....There are only X number of cold weather cities. Columbus is one of them. I would make the 2-1/2 hour drive from Toledo!

BTW: The Frozen Four is at Ford Field this year. Picture that! They are being smart and running the rink from sideline to sideline, bringing in portable seating and only using 1/2 the field (Similar to Syracuse basketball). The endzone seats will be prime!!!
    Yeah, but you can't put a team like the Maple Leafs in it just because they are the maple leafs. That team doesn't mean **** to the average American viewer. This game is the biggest regular season audience the NHL gets. You gotta get your biggest stars out there IMO. Pittsburgh v Washington seems like a no brainer.

Plus, I think it is more important to showcase American teams in this, because it is the American crowd that the NHL is still trying to entice...Canadiens would watch this game if it was Tampa Bay vs Florida on rollerblades in south beach.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 35

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    Plus, I think it is more important to showcase American teams in this, because it is the American crowd that the NHL is still trying to entice...Canadiens would watch this game if it was Tampa Bay vs Florida on rollerblades in south beach.
    Thats an idea tho... lol... That would be kinda cool to see... TB vs FLA in a exibition rollerblade game, couldn't make it a regular season thing, but would be a cool idea to have something different for southern teams

Do it as a charity event, make it so its not a fun game, and nothing meaningful at all
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 10

KDKA reported today that PNC Park is out of the running and Washington and New York are the favorites.

Maybe that means we will be getting the 2011 All Star Game instead.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    KDKA reported today that PNC Park is out of the running and Washington and New York are the favorites.

Maybe that means we will be getting the 2011 All Star Game instead.
    I'd prefer the all-star game. Pittsburgh sports teams have won like once in the past decade on the North Shore in January

Threads : 158

Threads : 14
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see us getting another outdoor classic for a while. We just had one 3 years ago and there are 32 teams in the league. They need to draw in some other teams.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks like it will be at Heinz field vs the Caps.

Threads : 35

I would of rather had the all-star game instead of this stupid game, I hate that its against the Caps, the NHL is tryin to force a rivalry there, but as long as the Pens and Caps dont play much in the playoffs then there will not be the same rivalry like there is with the Flyers, since they want to have the winter classic in pittsburgh it should of been against the Flyers instead of the stupid *** craps. The only reason I will even watch that game is because its still a regular season game, I really doubt I would watch it if it was just a special event because I wouldn't want to give the ratings to push for more Pens/Craps bull****
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7187 View Post
    I would of rather had the all-star game instead of this stupid game, I hate that its against the Caps, the NHL is tryin to force a rivalry there, but as long as the Pens and Caps dont play much in the playoffs then there will not be the same rivalry like there is with the Flyers, since they want to have the winter classic in pittsburgh it should of been against the Flyers instead of the stupid *** craps. The only reason I will even watch that game is because its still a regular season game, I really doubt I would watch it if it was just a special event because I wouldn't want to give the ratings to push for more Pens/Craps bull****
    Erm I dunno I'd say there is a rivalry there no? If I am picking out tickets at the beginning of the season I think I am taking Flyers or Capitols first. It is a great match up and great story I can't think of a reason why not? Now I would say the Pens Flyers match up will have even more significance this year considering the Flyers are in the finals but they could not have foreseen that. Anyway my point is I don't think this game is anything to get up in arms about, I am kinda excited tbh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information