Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday morning articles: Tabata, Donnelly, Doumit

Threads : 197

Default Tuesday morning articles: Tabata, Donnelly, Doumit

Here's the new articles from each of the beat reporters, I thought it was a fairly solid group today.

Finder's PG piece deals with Jose Tabata and how he's matured in the last year.
    "It's a new year," this Pirates top prospect from Venezuela said from inside that same clubhouse, conversing this time in English. "I feel strong in everything, about baseball and my personal [life].

"I don't want to remember last year. It was the past, you know. I'm here right now, today. I'm feeling strong mentally. I want to play in the big leagues this year."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10054/1037846-63.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10054/1037846-63.stm

The Pirates.com article is on Doumit and his health.

For Ryan Doumit, the success of the 2010 season, at least in a personal sense, will largely be defined by two numbers: 500 and 130. As Doumit looks ahead to the upcoming year, he wants 500 at-bats and 130 starts behind the plate. That's not to say that the Pirates' starting catcher is dismissing the importance of his statistics. In fact, that couldn't be further from the truth. But the prevailing belief is that if 500 and 130 can be achieved, everything else will fall nicely into place.

It's the truth," Doumit said. "It's something that I don't want to hear about obviously, but it's out there. And you look at my resume and there are a lot of injuries there. When people say that, I can't be defensive. It's there.

"But is it something that I want to be labeled as? Absolutely not."

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...=.jsp&c_id=pit

And Rob Biertempfel's piece is on Brendan Donnelly.

When the Pirates inquired about signing Brendan Donnelly, he was wary. The team's run of 17 losing seasons would make any free agent think twice.

So, Donnelly did what he called "some quick research" by phoning ex-Pirate John Grabow. The two relief pitchers are good friends and longtime offseason workout partners.

"John got me excited about this coming year," Donnelly said. "It was a quick turnaround to where I called my agent and said, 'I think this is going to be a good fit (with the Pirates).' "

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_668439.html

Threads : 197

Default Re: Tuesday morning articles: Tabata, Donnelly, Doumit

Here's a Grabow quote from after the Pirates' 82nd loss last season (he pitched for the Cubs in that game):

"I have so much respect and good feelings toward the organization," Grabow said. "I was treated great the entire time I was there and through all the changes that went on with the organization. I hate to see the Pirates have that record."

While some of the players who have been traded by the Pirates in recent months have questioned the direction of the franchise, Grabow believes general manager Neal Huntington did the right thing by turning over the roster over the past 14 months.

"They brought back a lot of good young talent in those trades and they already had some good young players there," Grabow said. "They have a young team now, and they're going to take some lumps because everyone goes through growing pains in this game. In the end, though, they are going to win. When they do, I'll be very happy."

Grabow knows a lot of other people will be, too.

"The people in this city and the whole region are great," Grabow said. "They're great sports fans and they'll go crazy when the Pirates start winning."

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Once he arrives, he will be expected to play more than the right field and Clemente Wall that seems to be manifest destiny of an outfielder with a tattoo on his chest of Roberto Clemente -- whom he mentioned as his idol in the first paragraph of that statement 11 months ago.
    Quote of the Year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10054/1037846-63.stm#ixzz0gMRyp81I

Threads : 1817

He's had head concussions and thigh contusions, sprains to his ankle and wrist. He's endured a fractured thumb, a torn hamstring and a broken scaphoid bone. He's dealt with back spasms, mononucleosis and right elbow soreness. The list goes on.

I knew Doumit was injury prone and practically a a glass house on feet but it's still astonishing when you see the list

And depending on how things pan out in right field and at first base for the Pirates, the club hasn't ruled out the possibility of using Doumit in right on days where he needs a break from behind the plate.
    Do we really need to explore this idea? By the time Tabata comes up you're talking about a roster (provided no changes to those OF spots are had) that has 6 capable RF'ers before considering Doumit (Jones, Tabata, Church, Moss, Raynor and Young)

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I knew Doumit was injury prone and practically a a glass house on feet but it's still astonishing when you see the list

[HIGH-LIGHT]Do we really need to explore this idea?[/HIGH-LIGHT] By the time Tabata comes up you're talking about a roster (provided no changes to those OF spots are had) that has 6 capable RF'ers before considering Doumit (Jones, Tabata, Church, Moss, Raynor and Young)
    I agree the Pirates want to/need to improve Doumitís value playing him in RF isn't going to do that. He needs to prove he can stay healthy everything else should take care of itself.

In case nobody wants to click the link here's the video to the Donnelly interview which was pretty good. He mentions how John Grabow is his offseason workout partner and Grabow says a lot of positive things but outside of having a down to business, serious approach and demeanor there was one thing that Donnelly said that I personally loved...

"I hate to lose, I absolutely hate it". There's not been enough of that attitude here. There's been an easier acceptance of losing and this feeling that "it will be okay, things turn around". there's never been that hatred for losing, for failing that usually gets a team and players to perform better. Maybe that's a part of the plan. gut the team of the guys who while they could somewhere else be "winners" weren't winners from a leadership standpoint. Bring in some young new guys that know any better and surround them with a winning atmosphere and see what happens

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

FC and NH have said many times that they need to change the culture of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    FC and NH have said many times that they need to change the culture of this team.
    Change in culture, change in atmosphere... I agree with them, it just wasn't going to be something that happened over night. I think foer the most part we can all see a ton of change that has gone on from attitudes, the way the organization does things and operates. It feels more organized and it is being run with a sense of direction and an actual purpose and I think that all of those things resonate to the players. The way things were run under Littlefield and McClatchy, it was of no surprise that things got as bad it did, there was no structure, organization, direction, purpose, no goals... Without even thinking about it, those things rub off or on to players even if it's not the itntention.

Now, I'd like to see some winning

Change in culture, change in atmosphere... I agree with them, it just wasn't going to be something that happened over night. I think foer the most part we can all see a ton of change that has gone on from attitudes, the way the organization does things and operates. It feels more organized and it is being run with a sense of direction and an actual purpose and I think that all of those things resonate to the players. The way things were run under Littlefield and McClatchy, it was of no surprise that things got as bad it did, there was no structure, organization, direction, purpose, no goals... Without even thinking about it, those things rub off or on to players even if it's not the itntention.

The biggest part of the change comes from management replacing vets with much younger players, players who are fighting to establish themselves...their attitudes can be more easily molded/managed.

The biggest part of the change comes from management replacing vets with much younger players, players who are fighting to establish themselves...their attitudes can be more easily molded/managed.
    I don't disagree with that, but the atmosphere itself can sometimes be the greatest molder. A positive environment isn't created with some new faces or a tag line hung up around a bunch of offices or locker room that has "positive messages". A lot of us see it in our workplace, good and bad morale is created at the top and usually affects the person mental and to an extent the work itself.

I agree that a big thing needed to do was to remove the negative vibes. Even if they weren't negative purposely maybe a guy like Jack brought with him that stigma of losing attached to him. Maybe losing affected too many vets where negativity came out even if that wasn't the intent... so I'm with you on that... but the rest that I was talking about is more about molding this next group and not screwing up that process like the prior regime. I think Huntington and Coonelly are on the right track in that regard... but ultimately you have to start winning or losing and negativity takes over.... it's like a fan base and message board

Threads : 158

Brendan Donnelly=Gary Roberts

I don't disagree with that, but the atmosphere itself can sometimes be the greatest molder. A positive environment isn't created with some new faces or a tag line hung up around a bunch of offices or locker room that has "positive messages". A lot of us see it in our workplace, good and bad morale is created at the top and usually affects the person mental and to an extent the work itself.

I agree that a big thing needed to do was to remove the negative vibes. Even if they weren't negative purposely maybe a guy like Jack brought with him that stigma of losing attached to him. Maybe losing affected too many vets where negativity came out even if that wasn't the intent... so I'm with you on that... but the rest that I was talking about is more about molding this next group and not screwing up that process like the prior regime. I think Huntington and Coonelly are on the right track in that regard... but ultimately you have to start winning or losing and negativity takes over.... it's like a fan base and message board
    Oh there definitely is a change in the way things are done during ST. KS is a drill sergeant when it comes to the minor leaguers.

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    Brendan Donnelly=Gary Roberts
    strikes me more of a mark recchi or bill guerin type

Threads : 2

It got tiring for me reading all those spring training stories about how McClendon & Tracy were running such "different" training camps, how upbeat everybody was at the camp, how much "tighter" things were and how it would all translate into wins during the regular season. After a while I started to tune it all out. These days I skip the spring training articles and go straight to the Notes section.
    Hidden Content Jacket photograph motifed baseball board game of Epoch Inc. Epoch is putting "Sunday vs Magazine Baseball Boar Game" on the market collaborated with charactors of Weekly Shounen Sunday and Weekly Shounen Magazine now. MAJOR's hero Goro Shigeno (茂野吾郎)'s character card will be sold in the future.

I agree the Pirates want to/need to improve Doumitís value playing him in RF isn't going to do that. He needs to prove he can stay healthy everything else should take care of itself.
    Instead of sticking Doumit in RF to grab some fly balls and such for "practice" who about doing something proactive to help the team like.. oh I don't know .... having Doumit practice on his below average defensive skills perhaps? He's gotten better, but he still does a lousy job getting in front of a ball and tries to stab his mitt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information