Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweetchuck's Gameday Thoughts

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Sweetchuck's Gameday Thoughts

a) If anyone still questions Ben's name being mentioned among the Mannings and Brady's of the world, go **** yourself.

b) Aside from a couple of decent runs, our rushing game went back into hibernation. They should have ran for 200 yards against this team, and yeah - pass heavy, but the YPC wasn't stellar. 3.7

c) I thought Mendy was running game savior? Still a work in progress.

d) The O-line sometimes gave Ben time, sometimes it didn't. Consistently inconsistent. Expect no change in the near future.

e) Troy should not have played. When he limped off of the field, I almost **** myself. When he came back out, I did **** myself.

f) RIP Steelers pass rush. We hardly knew ye.

g) It's great having Logan. Although Cribbs was the ST star of the day, Logan is a godsend.

h) Skippy's kickoffs are getting worse and worse. I don't know if they were kicking short to keep the ball out of Cribbs' hands, but his kickoffs have been mediocre at best. Not what you want out of a top-paid kicker.

i) Heath Miller is money. Why they picked now to start throwing to him consistently is beyond me.

j) Wallace looks like a starter on most NFL teams. Even if Sweed starts playing like a real WR, he's got to beat out Wallace and I just don't see that happening. Sweeds days are numbered here. tick... tick... tick....

k) Tomlin's a great coach, glad he's here. He likes to gamble, that drives me ****ing nuts.

l) I see ball control drills this week in practice.

That is all

Threads : 88

Default Re: Sweetchuck's Gameday Thoughts

I think you summed up nicely there and I only disagree with one point.

It wasn't too bad an idea to try to de-rust Troy. Whatever his first game back was, it was going to be a gamble. I'd rather have an "Oh no!" moment this week than in a tighter situation.

Just sayin' 'n 'at!

Threads : 691

Default Re: Sweetchucks Gameday Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    a) If anyone still questions Ben's name being mentioned among the Mannings and Brady's of the world, go **** yourself.-[HIGH-LIGHT]Tomlin said after the game,Ben has total command of the offense.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

b) Aside from a couple of decent runs, our rushing game went back into hibernation. They should have ran for 200 yards against this team, and yeah - pass heavy, but the YPC wasn't stellar. 3.7-[HIGH-LIGHT]Agree, 100%[/HIGH-LIGHT]

c) I thought Mendy was running game savior? Still a work in progress. [HIGH-LIGHT]He is at least getting into the end zone[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    d) The O-line sometimes gave Ben time, sometimes it didn't. Consistently inconsistent. Expect no change in the near future.[HIGH-LIGHT] I feel they have improved over last season.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    e) Troy should not have played. When he limped off of the field, I almost **** myself. When he came back out, I did **** myself. [HIGH-LIGHT]I had no problem with him playing.Tomlin said post game,the key is how he fells tomorrow[/HIGH-LIGHT]

f) RIP Steelers pass rush. We hardly knew ye. [HIGH-LIGHT]I thought they had a lot of pressure today,just missed on a few sacks.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    g) It's great having Logan. Although Cribbs was the ST star of the day, Logan is a godsend. [HIGH-LIGHT]He'll break one before the season is over.[/HIGH-LIGHT]h) Skippy's kickoffs are getting worse and worse. I[HIGH-LIGHT] don't know if they were kicking short to keep the ball out of Cribbs' hands[/HIGH-LIGHT], but his kickoffs have been mediocre at best. Not what you want out of a top-paid kicker. [HIGH-LIGHT]Yes they were[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    i) Heath Miller is money. Why they picked now to start throwing to him consistently is beyond me. [HIGH-LIGHT]He could catch 15 balls every game[/HIGH-LIGHT].

j) Wallace looks like a starter on most NFL teams. Even if Speed starts playing like a real WR, he's got to beat out Wallace and I just don't see that happening. [HIGH-LIGHT]Sweeds days are numbered here. tick... tick... tick....[/HIGH-LIGHT]-[HIGH-LIGHT]not necessarily,Hines while showing no signs of slowing down is getting up there,and Holmes contract will be up soon,ya never know.[/HIGH-LIGHT]k) Tomlin's a great coach, glad he's here. He likes to gamble, that drives me ****ing nuts. [HIGH-LIGHT]A very good hire. [/HIGH-LIGHT]

l) I see ball control drills this week in practice. [HIGH-LIGHT]Tomlin said it will be adressed[/HIGH-LIGHT].

That is all
    Like I said I'll take it.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

a) If anyone still questions Ben's name being mentioned among the Mannings and Brady's of the world, go **** yourself.
    He belongs there. But you'd have to make the arguments for the Mannings and Marcia to be in Benjamin's league if he didn't have a sieve for an OL.

b) Aside from a couple of decent runs, our rushing game went back into hibernation. They should have ran for 200 yards against this team, and yeah - pass heavy, but the YPC wasn't stellar. 3.7
    Can't quite fault them on pass heavy. That's one of the few things this OL does well at any point in the game. I think Mendy will grow in confidence every week. Thus, his numbers should improve. I'm not that in awe of the Vikes D that I don't believe our O can't move the ball on them so long as they protect the ball.

Agreed! Will improve weekly and will improve his ball protection as well.

d) The O-line sometimes gave Ben time, sometimes it didn't. Consistently inconsistent. Expect no change in the near future.
    I have nothing more to say about the OL. It is what it is. The FO, coaching staff and Benjamin himself don't believe there is a problem. You can't argue with that.

e) Troy should not have played. When he limped off of the field, I almost **** myself. When he came back out, I did **** myself.
    They needed to get him up to game speed before they played the Vikes. It was a gamble they almost lost. But it was a necessary gamble. He should be fully good to go by next week.

The times they did get pressure worked like a charm. The D sets have been too conservative all season so far. I don't know whether they'll have the luxury of going balls out on Favre next week. But they shouldn't need to when they have a greater need to check APete. APete will crucify this D if they don't have an adequate game plan for him.

g) It's great having Logan. Although Cribbs was the ST star of the day, Logan is a godsend.
    Need to see more out of Logan. So far, the return units are just slightly improved. There's still more work to do.

h) Skippy's kickoffs are getting worse and worse. I don't know if they were kicking short to keep the ball out of Cribbs' hands, but his kickoffs have been mediocre at best. Not what you want out of a top-paid kicker.
    The TD return probably wigged him the rest of the way out. But Skippy's kicks aren't getting very far, to be sure. It's why the kicker must always be challenged in camp...if for no other reason than to push him into shape.

i) Heath Miller is money. Why they picked now to start throwing to him consistently is beyond me.
    Because Bruce Arians is a ****tard. He always had a great Heath Miller. It only took him 4 ****ing years to realize it.

j) Wallace looks like a starter on most NFL teams. Even if Sweed starts playing like a real WR, he's got to beat out Wallace and I just don't see that happening. Sweeds days are numbered here. tick... tick... tick....
    I won't necessarily go there with Sweed just yet. The NFL is extraordinarily fickle when it comes to skill position players. Nevertheless, Wallace is solidly the #3 WR for the Steelers and he took that job away from Sweed. Sweed probably doesn't get his job back unless Wallace, S'tonio or Hines get hurt.

k) Tomlin's a great coach, glad he's here. He likes to gamble, that drives me ****ing nuts.
    I don't know a Steelers fan that that DOESN'T drive nuts. He's an overpaid janitor...but he's OUR overpaid janitor.

You don't know what the **** you're talking about.

That is all
    Until next week!

Threads : 20

Overall, good going on the analysis, Chuck!!!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's looking really good and the offense is finally allowed to be run as pass first.

That average doesn't cut it against a team like the Browns but we passed the ball so much with so much success it was almost like the line and what not didn't care as much about the run game. That was a Browns run defense that was allowing 170 yards per game and a 5.0 YPC

Mendy looked good running I thought. Showed speed, moves and power. By far our best RB option but is getting better IMO. The line wasn't doing as good of a job opening up holes against the Browns but I've got no problems with how Mendy has been running

Thought protection was above average. Ben threw for over 400 yards. That doesn't happen without above average protection. There were a couple breakdowns, a coverage sack, but all in all, Ben had adequate time to make a pass easily and then had time to knit sweaters before throwing a pass. Thought the line was a little disinterested in run blocking

I agree. I kinda wanted him to have a warm up game to shake off the rust before facing a real QB in Favre but this was a game that we didn't need him for and to be honest outside of his interception was really a non factor the rest of the game. The helath of his injury is most important.

True that. It's ****ing me off too.

Cribbs is the only good player that the Browns have. I'd love to have Cribbs on my team any day of the week. I'm curious to know why Moore was fielding the punts however.

They were kicking short to keep the ball out of Cribbs hands without a doubt. Other than that though, Skippy can't put a ball into the endzone on kickoff's when he's trying to kick long

Not sure but I had a strong gut feeling that this would be Miller's break out year as a reciever. I told everyone at a draft gathering that Miller was going to be huge this year and I drafted him. I look like a genius right now. They started throwing more to him last year and the guy catches everything and is a great safety valve. His reliability is something Ben is loving for the same reason Ben loves hines

Yeah I don't know where Sweed fits in anymore either. He's a 4th WR and Ward looks like he has gas left in the tank. Hate to say it but somewhere the FP missed drafting higher up to fix an aging D-Line or O-Line

Tomlin flat out makes some stupd ****ing decisions. for instance his challenge on a catch. Doesn't matter if it's a catch or not, it was a meaningless point in the game with the Browns not having good field position etc... it was basically a badly thought out decision. More reaction than using his head. tomlin does that **** too much. Sometimes it works, sometimes you're like "WTF??"

They do that **** every week. Hell, they say Sweed looks good in practice and doesn't drop balls. Can't practice those things for real games, you have to just do it

That is all
    Kipper's Additions

Threads : 413

Pretty much agree with the comments, but I have to say something about the O-line. I think they are playing very well. Ben had an hour-and-a half to throw on some plays. I just our play calling is not that great. Our passing game (thanks to the NFL wanting it this way) is pretty **** good. Thus most of the pressure on the QB will come between the tackles. Shortest line between 2 points stuff. So when we run up the gut, guess who's there waiting for it? That and the formations we run the play out of leave little doubt as to what's being called.

Most of our successful runs come outside which opens up the lanes the defense has to cover. This is a subtle observation on my part, but one that constantly bugs the **** out of me.

sjdrewk

Yeah, I have no complaint about the Oline this week. I thought they played well.

I have a few comments/concerns:
    Troy: he looked great until the int. After that he appeared to play hurt or so it seemed to me. I hope he is just working things out and it's just a little case of rust. I hope it isn't what I fear it is and we have a case of a season long lingering injury issue.

Mendy: I think he didn't play that much because of his illness. He fumbled once( I thought it was a fluke fumble with the him laying on top of a Defender. I think he just thought the play was over but w/e)

I thought the D had instances of better play though it was against the Fake Stains.

I really liked Tomlin switching from FWP and Mendy to Mewelde. Thought that was a great move. Mewelde might be our best rbi atthis point although I don't think MM can carry us more than 3 or 4 games on his back and I do think Mendenhall is our future back.

and it is Men-den-hall, NOT Men-ding-hall.....okay Solomon Wilcotts? He ****ing saying that the entire game was driving me crazy! lol

Threads : 137

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Yeah, I have no complaint about the Oline this week. I thought they played well.

Troy: he looked great until the int. After that he appeared to play hurt or so it seemed to me. I hope he is just working things out and it's just a little case of rust. I hope it isn't what I fear it is and we have a case of a season long lingering injury issue.

Mendy: I think he didn't play that much because of his illness. He fumbled once( I thought it was a fluke fumble with the him laying on top of a Defender. I think he just thought the play was over but w/e)

I thought the D had instances of better play though it was against the Fake Stains.

I really liked Tomlin switching from FWP and Mendy to Mewelde. Thought that was a great move. Mewelde might be our best rbi atthis point although I don't think MM can carry us more than 3 or 4 games on his back and I do think Mendenhall is our future back.

and it is Men-den-hall, NOT Men-ding-hall.....okay Solomon Wilcotts? He ****ing saying that the entire game was driving me crazy! lol
    Men-ding-hall - yeah, I noticed that also.

****ing announcer tools.

sjdrewk

Men-ding-hall - yeah, I noticed that also.

****ing announcer tools.

Don't they have interns that tell them these things in their earpiece? lol

Threads : 407

2 things:

We seem to play down to our opponents level and don't have the "put them away" mentality.

I read that Troy warmed up with his leg brace on but once the game started he took it off. WTF????

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    2 things:

We seem to play down to our opponents level and don't have the "put them away" mentality.

I read that Troy warmed up with his leg brace on but once the game started he took it off. WTF????

Yeah absolutely, this is nothing new either. They will make bad teams look decent and then play fine against good teams. We looked like the Browns II today at times. Next week we will find out for real where we sit imo. I thought it was a good idea to play Troy because we WILL need him next week. I don't want him trying to get up to game speed against Peterson and company. He will probably be hurting after this game and the next but bye week is coming.

I don't know what was up with the ground game. We were running pretty good but fumbles started happening. I didn't even want Willie on the field anymore at one point. I used to be a big supporter but I am tired of watching him now. Then Mendy fumbled too. I knew that was going to happen at some point. I think he could hang on to it a little better than he does.

It figures we would be the one to finally give up an offensive TD to them. The D has been a let down all year tho, nothing new.

Was a pretty sloppy game both ways. That seems to be Steelers football these days. Get used to it. At least we didn't let them get too close to winning it. I didn't feel any heart attacks coming, just a little every now and again. It was a win. So I guess that means we are tied for first in the div now? Amazing how **** works out like that.

Threads : 67

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post

I really liked Tomlin switching from FWP and Mendy to Mewelde. Thought that was a great move. Mewelde might be our best rbi atthis point although [HIGH-LIGHT]I don't think MM can carry us more than 3 or 4 games on his back[/HIGH-LIGHT] and I do think Mendenhall is our future back.

Do you think he would be better used as a FB?

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Do you think he would be better used as a FB?
    A FB? Not in anyway. He is good the way we use him.

Threads : 67

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    A FB? Not in anyway. He is good the way we use him.
    I feel the same way. My fiance and I had an argument over this earlier and just wanted to show him that I am right, as usual

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information