Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updates on some minor leaguers

Threads : 197

Default Updates on some minor leaguers

Chase D'Arnaud will be starting the season at AA and will get the majority of the SS time, although he'll also be seeing time at 2B. No word on who else will be in the group at that level.

Pitchers Colton Cain, Zac Fuesser, and Brett Lorin have minor injuries and won't be ready for opening day. Cain probably wasn't going to be playing anywhere opening day anyway, but he'll miss some valuable spring time. Fuesser may or may not have been slotted for West Virginia, but this may push him back to State College for the year. Lorin will probably end up in Bradenton at some point once he's ready.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Updates on some minor leaguers

That sucks about Cain.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That sucks about Cain.
    Ditto.

Any idea what the injures are? Sounds like Cain has been injured for a while

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Chase D'Arnaud will be starting the season at AA and will get the majority of the SS time, although he'll also be seeing time at 2B. No word on who else will be in the group at that level.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Pitchers Colton Cain, Zac Fuesser, and Brett Lorin have minor injuries and won't be ready for opening day. Cain probably wasn't going to be playing anywhere opening day anyway, but he'll miss some valuable spring time. Fuesser may or may not have been slotted for West Virginia, but this may push him back to State College for the year. Lorin will probably end up in Bradenton at some point once he's ready.
    D'Arnaud will alternate with Jordy Mercer at SS.

Also where did the injury info come from? I'm sure you know that MiL camp doesn't open until the 2nd week in March so that's about 2 1/2 weeks from now. Hopefull they will be ready when camp starts.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Also where did the injury info come from? I'm sure you know that MiL camp doesn't open until the 2nd week in March so that's about 2 1/2 weeks from now. Hopefull they will be ready when camp starts.
    It came from 3 different places at first (I think Kyle Stark had a media session today), but Jen Langosch seems to be the first one to put up an official post on it now. Has a few other notes as well.

http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/archives...d_notes_2.html

* Pedro Alvarez: The plan is to keep him at third base, though that could eventually change for one of two reasons. One, how Jeff Clement and Andy LaRoche fare at the big league level could play a role in whether the Pirates think about using Alvarez at first. Two, he has to continue to shore up his defense and conditioning to stick at the hot corner.
    * Neil Walker: For all the talk about where Walker might be able to play, the key is this: If Walker is going to get a strong look from Pittsburgh, he's going to have to hit. As Stark put it, "If Neil's bat progresses, we'll find a spot for Neil." The plan is to try him out in a few spots this spring to improve his versatility. He'll keep playing third, but will also likely get continued work at second and learn the corner outfield spots.
    * Jose Tabata: Though Tabata's most likely spot in Pittsburgh is right field, he'll keep getting a lot of work in center as long as he's in the Minors. The Pirates have not ruled out using Tabata in left field eventually because of how spacious it is at PNC Park.
    * Chase d'Arnaud: After splitting the '09 season between the two Single-A levels, d'Arnaud is projected to begin the year with Double-A Altoona. It's an agressive move, but the organization wants to get him hitting against Double-A pitching. D'Arnaud will likely have to split time between short and second there because of the number of middle infield prospects expected to be with Altoona. But long-term, the Pirates see him as a shortstop.
    * Brian Friday: He spent all of 2009 at Altoona, but is expected to open the season as Indianapolis' everyday shortstop.
    * Daniel Moskos: I asked the usual Spring Training question... is Moskos going to start or relieve? The answer: TBD. Stark: "That is a discussion every day. I think that Danny has put himself in position where he's trying to make 1 of 12 spots as opposed to 1 of 5 (starting spots) or 1 of 7 (relief spots). There are some things that say the starter role will be the best value and have the best upside. Then there are some things that make you think this guy needs to go pitch in the bullpen. I think that regardless of what we do, we're going to try and get at the bullpen mentality of competing. Last year going through starting, there was some sense of trying to pace himself to get through six or seven innings, and so I think that regardless of whether it's in that role or in the bullpen, that the attack mentality is the thing that we're going to focus on with him."
    * Rudy Owens: The left-hander is in the mix to start at Double-A this year, though it's not a certainty. Even if he does start at high-A Bradenton, the expectation is that Owens will be in Altoona before the end of the season.
    * Stark noted three Minor Leaguers who are going to be sidelined to start the season. Colton Cain (8th round, 2009) has dealt with a back injury this winter which will keep him from being ready on Opening Day. However, Cain has been cleared to begin workouts, so the injury is not expected to linger. Brett Lorin (acquired in the Seattle trade) will miss the start of the season because of a hip injury. Zac Fuesser (34th round, 2009) is also out with an injury.

The note on Brian Friday is probably bad news for Argenis Diaz, since the only thing he had going for him was that he was a good defender at short. Not sure how he continues to hold a roster spot.

* Jose Tabata: Though Tabata's most likely spot in Pittsburgh is right field, he'll keep getting a lot of work in center as long as he's in the Minors. The Pirates have not ruled out using Tabata in left field eventually because of how spacious it is at PNC Park
    Interesting. Tabata is said to have a plus arm but is on the slower side. I wonder how his speed translate to defensive range for LF at PNC?

Pedro Alvarez: The plan is to keep him at third base, though that could eventually change for one of two reasons. One, how Jeff Clement and Andy LaRoche fare at the big league level could play a role in whether the Pirates think about using Alvarez at first. Two, he has to continue to shore up his defense and conditioning to stick at the hot corner.
    Makes sense to me. If Andy can hit .270 or better and crank out 20 homers and Clement and Jones fail... makes sense completely ... what it really is, is the Pirates accepting that they have another realistic option if need be.

* Daniel Moskos: I asked the usual Spring Training question... is Moskos going to start or relieve? The answer: TBD. Stark: "That is a discussion every day. I think that Danny has put himself in position where he's trying to make 1 of 12 spots as opposed to 1 of 5 (starting spots) or 1 of 7 (relief spots). There are some things that say the starter role will be the best value and have the best upside. Then there are some things that make you think this guy needs to go pitch in the bullpen. I think that regardless of what we do, we're going to try and get at the bullpen mentality of competing. Last year going through starting, there was some sense of trying to pace himself to get through six or seven innings, and so I think that regardless of whether it's in that role or in the bullpen, that the attack mentality is the thing that we're going to focus on with him."
    Not a fan. Moskos has been poor as a starter. His K/9 and BB/9 numbers have worsened as a starter and velocity has naturally dipped. I want to see Moskos in the pen and a future LH back of the BP arm. His ceiling as a starter is probably #5-#4. I think we'd get more value out of Moskos in the pen.

Rudy Owens: The left-hander is in the mix to start at Double-A this year, though it's not a certainty. Even if he does start at high-A Bradenton, the expectation is that Owens will be in Altoona before the end of the season.
    Starting in Bradenton makes sense. He only pitched 22-23 innings at A+ last season

It came from 3 different places at first (I think Kyle Stark had a media session today), but Jen Langosch seems to be the first one to put up an official post on it now. Has a few other notes as well.

http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/archives...d_notes_2.html

* Pedro Alvarez: The plan is to keep him at third base, though that could eventually change for one of two reasons. One, how Jeff Clement and Andy LaRoche fare at the big league level could play a role in whether the Pirates think about using Alvarez at first. Two, he has to continue to shore up his defense and conditioning to stick at the hot corner.
    * Neil Walker: For all the talk about where Walker might be able to play, the key is this: If Walker is going to get a strong look from Pittsburgh, he's going to have to hit. As Stark put it, "If Neil's bat progresses, we'll find a spot for Neil." The plan is to try him out in a few spots this spring to improve his versatility. He'll keep playing third, but will also likely get continued work at second and learn the corner outfield spots.
    * Jose Tabata: Though Tabata's most likely spot in Pittsburgh is right field, he'll keep getting a lot of work in center as long as he's in the Minors. The Pirates have not ruled out using Tabata in left field eventually because of how spacious it is at PNC Park.
    *[HIGH-LIGHT] Chase d'Arnaud: After splitting the '09 season between the two Single-A levels, d'Arnaud is projected to begin the year with Double-A Altoona. It's an agressive move, but the organization wants to get him hitting against Double-A pitching. D'Arnaud will likely have to split time between short and second there because of the number of middle infield prospects expected to be with Altoona. But long-term, the Pirates see him as a shortstop.[/HIGH-LIGHT] * Brian Friday: He spent all of 2009 at Altoona, but is expected to open the season as Indianapolis' everyday shortstop.
    * [HIGH-LIGHT]Rudy Owens: The left-hander is in the mix to start at Double-A this year, though it's not a certainty. Even if he does start at high-A Bradenton, the expectation is that Owens will be in Altoona before the end of the season[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    * Stark noted three Minor Leaguers who are going to be sidelined to start the season. Colton Cain (8th round, 2009) has dealt with a back injury this winter which will keep him from being ready on Opening Day. However, Cain has been cleared to begin workouts, so the injury is not expected to linger. Brett Lorin (acquired in the Seattle trade) will miss the start of the season because of a hip injury. Zac Fuesser (34th round, 2009) is also out with an injury.
    Thanks for the info jnn...as for Chase d'Arnaud he should start at AA, he had over 200 AB's at A+. Good organizations promote their best prospects aggressively.

Owens starts at A+ then goes to AA only on merit.

The note on Brian Friday is probably bad news for Argenis Diaz, since the only thing he had going for him was that he was a good defender at short. Not sure how he continues to hold a roster spot.
    That's tough. Both hit for crap last year. Friday himself is going to have to improve his hitting. However, you throw out last season and in 2008 both hit for similar average, Diaz did it 1 year younger and with more power...

It's possible that the difference between the 2 is who is better defensively

Diaz isn't much of a prospect....Friday is so that's where he should be. Diaz is supposed to start practicing at 2nd this spring that tells me utility player is in his immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    That's tough. Both hit for crap last year. Friday himself is going to have to improve his hitting. However, you throw out last season and in 2008 both hit for similar average, Diaz did it 1 year younger and with more power...

It's possible that the difference between the 2 is who is better defensively
    Friday has been nicked up many times during the past 2 years. He also skipped A-. When this kid has been healthy he has played well.

Friday has been nicked up many times during the past 2 years. He also skipped A-. When this kid has been healthy he has played well.
    Yeah but he played well in A+

Looking at his numbers, he looks like someone that simply needs to put the ball in play. His plate discipline seems to be consistent, injuries or no injuries. He'll never have power and his OBP is standard.

sub .270 batting average is unacceptable though. He puts that up this year at age 24 and his prospect status really weakens..especially if you don't consider a guy young like Diaz a prospect who could possibly be the better of the 2 if he puts up a better BA this season

Yeah but he played well in A+

Looking at his numbers, he looks like someone that simply needs to put the ball in play. His plate discipline seems to be consistent, injuries or no injuries. He'll never have power and his OBP is standard.

sub .270 batting average is unacceptable though. He puts that up this year at age 24 and his prospect status really weakens..especially [HIGH-LIGHT]if you don't consider a guy young like Diaz a prospect [/HIGH-LIGHT]who could possibly be the better of the 2 if he puts up a better BA this season
    I don't...at least not much of a prospect.

Diaz is a singles hitter with no power. Defense is his calling card but the tag on him has always been good field.... no hit. So I don’t think Pirate management did Diaz any favors last year playing him at AAA when he was struggling at the time of the trade at AA.
    He profiles to be a Luis Cruz type player so he could get a cup of tea in the ML's. As I mentioned before Pirate management is getting him reps at 2nd this spring that tells me they are starting to transition him into a utility player . If his hitting doesn‘t improve he’s a very good candidate to come off the 40 man in the fall.

I don't...at least not much of a prospect.

Diaz is a singles hitter with no power.

I don't know Pfiv. look at Friday's numbers. He has no power, he has some XBH ability, but nothing that's really any better than most. His slugging numbers aren't impressive and it's not like he's a great hitter for average in general.

Defense is his calling card but the tag on him has always been good field.... no hit. So I don’t think Pirate management did Diaz any favors last year playing him at AAA when he was struggling at the time of the trade at AA.
    He profiles to be a Luis Cruz type player so he could get a cup of tea in the ML's. As I mentioned before Pirate management is getting him reps at 2nd this spring that tells me they are starting to transition him into a utility player . If his hitting doesn‘t improve he’s a very good candidate to come off the 40 man in the fall.
    To be honest I don't like either and don't think either will amount to anything at MLB level. I think Diaz is exactly what you are saying but I don't think Friday is realistically any better. Friday definitely isn't that much better of a hitter to really make up the gap defensively IMO. I just don't see either as prospects, which is fine sicne I've got more hope settled on D'Arnaud. Friday is a bust

To be honest I don't like either and don't think either will amount to anything at MLB level. I think Diaz is exactly what you are saying but I don't think Friday is realistically any better. Friday definitely isn't that much better of a hitter to really make up the gap defensively IMO. I just don't see either as prospects, which is fine sicne I've got more hope settled on D'Arnaud. Friday is a bust
    I'm not completely sold on Friday either but as of right now he is considered the better prospect. Friday has shown good gap power and occasional HR power which is a good indictor as he moves up the minor league ranks. As I have mentioned he has been nagged with injuries that he has played through most of his pro career. He has played well when healthy but when the injury bug hits his stats taper off. This is something he needs to correct.

Also he could land at 2nd at some point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information